Texas Fishing Forum

Locating Crappie

Posted By: slshaneus

Locating Crappie - 07/15/17 04:35 PM

ive only been out maybe 5 times and had some luck catching a few here and there. but i havent caught any in the same spots lately how do you guys attract them back to the brushpiles. second question, how do you find new holes? do crappie move to the river channels in the summer? i was thinking of just imaging the whole river channel? im asking i got some kids coming up next weekend and i want them to catch some fish and it looks like my holes have dried up. i am fishing six mile on toledo bend. thats where my camp is and we dont want to venture very far from there...
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Locating Crappie - 07/16/17 12:22 PM

If the brush piles your fishing are sitting on drop offs or creek channels then I'm going to say the crappie are probably there. The bite gets really light this time of year and the fish will be down inside the brush. If your brush piles are on shallow flats then I'd say the crappie have moved out. The only way I know to attract them back to a pile would be to freshen up the pile with new brush and it could take days to weeks for them to find it. When I'm looking for brush I usually start on points, bends in creek channels and humps...chances are someone has put brush out in these areas. Standing timber is a good place to look right now. I certainly wouldn't pass the chance to do some dock shooting although you might not want to do this with kids in the boat. Had the opportunity to do some dock shooting in Huxley Bay a few weeks ago and we boated over 40 nice ones. Hope you find them and good luck to ya!
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Locating Crappie - 07/16/17 12:42 PM

Six mile is one of the few places down there that has plenty of grass...that will most likely be were the crappie are...find some deeper water(Creek) and concentrate on where it comes up against the matted hydrilla...you can fan cast jigs and slowly bump across the top of the grass or slow troll some heaver jigs until you find them...you will probably catch bass to but there are huge schools of crappie in the grass as well.
Posted By: slshaneus

Re: Locating Crappie - 07/16/17 05:35 PM

okay thanks guys. many years bassin just now getting to chase crappie. yeah dock shooting is out with the kids. dropping straight down is best lol
Posted By: Glenn54

Re: Locating Crappie - 07/17/17 03:06 AM

Keep us posted on how those kids do. I'm sure they'll have a good time.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Locating Crappie - 07/18/17 05:17 PM

NICE read BH & some excellent advise..... thumb thumb thumb
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Locating Crappie - 07/18/17 09:52 PM

Totally agree with bush hog. On Lewisville - the brush piles on flats are empty. But the piles near the channels are full! Getting them to bite a plastic takes some patients, and commitment to keep changing colors, and tactics. They are very timid, and most of the bites are very lite. Hang in there, you will catch some! food
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum