Texas Fishing Forum

Serrated blades

Posted By: Three Nails Guide

Serrated blades - 06/26/17 02:22 AM

I run American Angler knives. I can get about a month and half use from them then they go dull. Does anyone know if you can sharpen these and if so who can?

Thanks
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: serrated blades - 06/26/17 02:33 AM

i wonder if you could run a chainsaw file across the serrations...
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: serrated blades - 06/26/17 02:50 AM

Look at the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener. Supposed to sharpen serrated blades. I've used it on serrated blades with some success. The belt is too big to get into the smallest serration but it will sharpen the larger serration on the blade. There's some videos on how to use it. Sharpens regular blades really well.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: serrated blades - 06/26/17 02:51 AM

Yep!! Chainsaw file or a Lansky triangle blade will do the trick!! thumb
Posted By: red snappa

Re: serrated blades - 06/26/17 11:51 AM

Get a Block sharpener. They are cheap and will sharpen serrated blades quick. Just Google "Block Sharpener". You can watch a demo on how easy it is on You Tube. 2cents
Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service

Re: serrated blades - 06/26/17 08:34 PM

I run a Rapala lithium and I get about a month out of blades. For $7 I just buy new ones. I sharpened enough knives when I ran the BBQ joint. food
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: serrated blades - 06/27/17 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711
i wonder if you could run a chainsaw file across the serrations...

Yes. This has been discussed on here before. 6 or 8 passes on each serration & it is as good as new.

Re: serrated blades - 06/27/17 03:25 AM

Thanks guys for the input.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: serrated blades - 06/27/17 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Look at the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener. Supposed to sharpen serrated blades. I've used it on serrated blades with some success. The belt is too big to get into the smallest serration but it will sharpen the larger serration on the blade. There's some videos on how to use it. Sharpens regular blades really well.

I have that sharpener. It has a guide for serrated blades, but the instructions say to only sharpen the back side, using the guide, not the serrated side. Seems to work on my serrated blades using that method.

And I just have to say, I LOVE the Work Sharp Sharpener.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: serrated blades - 06/27/17 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: red snappa
Get a Block sharpener. They are cheap and will sharpen serrated blades quick. Just Google "Block Sharpener". You can watch a demo on how easy it is on You Tube. 2cents

+1 on the block sharpener. I use the longer serrated blades and sharpen them after every use.

I have the same blades for about 2 years now. But then again you probably clean a lot more fish than I do..lol!!
Posted By: old76angler

Re: Serrated blades - 06/27/17 11:10 PM

Edgemakerprowww.amazon.com/ www.amazon.com/theedgemakerpro.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: serrated blades - 06/28/17 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: serj5150
Originally Posted By: red snappa

+1 on the block sharpener. I use the longer serrated blades and sharpen them after every use.

I have the same blades for about 2 years now. But then again you probably clean a lot more fish than I do..lol!!

Im going to try the Block SHARPENER, I had several correspondences with the owner, Paul Block, and he assured me they sharpener will get the blades sharper than new. money back gaurantee, they sell for around 20 bucks, 2 for 30. theres a new style that is a couple dollars more that has slight improvements to the handle grip.

Re: serrated blades - 06/29/17 10:40 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: lmbr

Re: serrated blades - 07/01/17 10:19 PM

After reading about the Block sharper I bought 2 of them. WOW! Sharp knife blades again. Mark if you get one, you'll be glad you did. banana

hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum