Texas Fishing Forum

Size lure to minimize Dinks

Posted By: Sirjet

Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 02:18 PM

I know this is not the smartest question. But I am wanting to know if there is a size lure that will minimize dinks and maximize bigger crappie? I know you will not get as many big fish. But these dinks are killing me. Does bigger baits slow down smaller fish?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 02:27 PM

2.5-3.5 inch baits will definitely slow down the dinks but you will still catch some. You might also try fishing somewhere else. Sometimes the dinks are loaded on certain places like brush and the keepers are more plentiful in the timber. All of the dinks the year are coming from the high water we have had the last few years. There should be lots of keepers caught the next few years.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 02:41 PM

Have you tried changing color?

Sometimes if the smaller feesh are hitting I'll do a few color changed that help with getting bigger feesh...

I try different depths also....

But when those BIG'UNS don't want to cooperate I'll poke holes in those lilzzz.....
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 03:55 PM

Try nose hooking an extra large shiner.... bolt
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 04:47 PM

Here's something that works for me at times when catching dinks on a brush pile. Use you depth finder and move to the outside edges of the pile and like SK suggested, try different depths. Good luck to ya!
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 05:51 PM

Seems to me every time I upsize baits over 3" I tend to catch more dinks...not sure why those lil bitty fish like those big baits hmmm

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 06:22 PM

I will be fishing a Marina on Saturday morning. I love the Thump so much. That I will fight through the dinks. And Hope to get a few hogs. Not on a boat so I will not be able to move me location. I wonder if people are catching the bigger fish deeper. I will be in about 30 F.O.W.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/22/17 10:59 PM

You're going to get lots of suggestions, but here's mine...
If you're on a spot that just keeps putting out dinks, MOVE!
I don't believe there is any bait trick you can do that would eliminate dinks without lessoning the bites overall. My 2cents
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: SLABXPRESS
You're going to get lots of suggestions, but here's mine...
If you're on a spot that just keeps putting out dinks, MOVE!
I don't believe there is any bait trick you can do that would eliminate dinks without lessoning the bites overall. My 2cents

I concur. Little girls friends are little girls. Big girls friends are big girls. Haha

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 01:18 PM

Thank You Slab express. I just wanted to see where everyone sat on this topic. I will be fishing and just hope for the best.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 01:29 PM

I just keep sticking little ones until the big ones get interested. I guess that I just like to be entertained, but I will stay on top of 'em until they quit or I get tired on only catching dinks.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 01:38 PM

When I'm catching dinks, before I put one back, I tell him to "go back and get your big ugly fat sister,..",
sometimes it works,.. loco_2

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 02:20 PM

So Bogey. It is a battle of attrition. Man verse very little fish. LMBO
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey♂
I just keep sticking little ones until the big ones get interested. I guess that I just like to be entertained, but I will stay on top of 'em until they quit or I get tired on only catching dinks.

What he said. As long as The small ones are keeping me busy with the occasional keeper here and there. Im happy lol

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/23/17 07:01 PM

Got it. That will be my plan tonight and tomorrow. The Thump feels that good.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/24/17 12:55 PM

Sometimes you just have to out last them if you can't move. Was fishing crappie house a couple of years ago and culled 39 dinks before catching a keeper. Good luck to you!

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/26/17 01:05 PM

Report: Well I went to Bridgeport on Saturday. I was using the Bobby Garland (any Bright Color) I caught about 50-70 Dinks and 5 very nice ones. Caught one that was 15 inches. But stupid me learned a big lesson. Carry a small cooler with ice during the summer. Not paying attention. I caught the biggest one and put in my basket. Not realizing how hot the water was. Almost lost the fish. I am going today and buy me a smaller cooler with a handle so i can keep my fish fresh.
Posted By: varnoldi

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/26/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirjet
Got it. That will be my plan tonight and tomorrow. The Thump feels that good.

try dead sticking. the little ones usually are more aggressive and chase a jig. drop your line 12"-24" lower- these are a few things that have helped me when dock fishing the winter and changing locations was not an option.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/26/17 04:19 PM

Very good point, with these warming temps it don't take long for a feesh too die & spoil....unless I'm in a tourney & have to keep tha feesh alive they go straight on ice....
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/27/17 12:42 PM

I believe the dinks are higher in the water column, so you catch more of them 1st, then you'll be able to get down past them to the better fish.
Hickory Nut & I will pull up to a spot, catch several smaller fish before we catch a quality slab. We have often discussed this subject and the thought train that if your catching little fish, you should move.
We definitely don't play by that rule here in this general area. We have caught lot's of great fish off the same spot that we caught smaller ones off of, but if you want to only target BIG SLABS, then yes move to the timber, you'll still catch smaller fish, but your size ratio will go up, but your catch ratio will diminish greatly.
There's my 2 cents for what it's worth loco

Re: Size lure to minimize Dinks - 06/27/17 01:46 PM

Every Slabs i caught was definitely deeper then the dinks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum