Texas Fishing Forum

Pickled crappie

Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 12:41 AM

Anybody else tried various recipes out of the CAT cook book? We've made several recipes but for a real change of pace I've made the pickled crappie twice. Super appetizer and once I open a jar I can't put it down. Very tasty and the meat is nice and firm! You can cut down the quantity, just divide it as needed! Simple ingredients also! I like to leave it sit in the fridge for at least a month.....after that.....look out!!!! Yum!!!!!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 01:33 AM

food
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 02:09 AM

That's good to know! I saw that in there but never made any before! Had a neighbor from somewhere up north when we lived in Ft Worth and he would bring back jars of pickled pike. Seemed like everytime he opened a jar we ate the whole thing! Sleeve of saltines and some cold picked crappie would be good lake food!!! food
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 12:08 PM

pickled crappie? sounds horrible......could you make me some?
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 12:34 PM

Sounds out of the norm but hell I'll eat anything !
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 01:20 PM

Ok, where does a guy find a copy of this cook book??
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 01:26 PM

Why the h&77 would you waste a good fish like crappie on pickling?

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Most of these guys get plenty for the fryer. I've had catfish pickled and it wasn't as good. This is a very tasty treat! Excellent with crackers....as stated.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 03:33 PM

Anything like Sardines?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 03:44 PM

Makes excellent cheviche too,... food
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 04:18 PM

Smoked whole catfish is good Banger!! Bayou baits guy on Fork will smoke a couple hundred every year and passes em out or used too. Small ones. 12-14". Peel the skin back and go to town. But I liked smoked mullet too when I worked in Florida.

I've never made ceviche either but it sure looks good!!

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/19/17 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
Smoked whole catfish is good Banger!! Bayou baits guy on Fork will smoke a couple hundred every year and passes em out or used too. Small ones. 12-14". Peel the skin back and go to town. But I liked smoked mullet too when I worked in Florida.

I've never made ceviche either but it sure looks good!!

I need to keep a catfish next time for the smoker!!!! Isn't that chevichina stuff "raw"????
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/20/17 12:05 AM

Gross

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/20/17 09:57 AM

HHHaaaaa!!!!! Maybe you would like the Cajun Crappie better!!!! Lots of other good recipes also!!
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/21/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Posted By: Cedar Creaker

Re: Pickled crappie - 06/21/17 03:41 PM

The CAT Crappie Cookbook is still available!!! We have collected some terrific recipes from our members and put together a crappie cookbook for the club. The CAT Crappie Cookbook sells for $10 and EVERY DOLLAR COLLECTED will go to the CAT Junior Angler Fund. Copies of the Cookbook are available at any CAT meeting or tournament, or you can email jana@reeveaugustine.com and she will fix you up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum