Texas Fishing Forum

Sickle hook question

Posted By: cantcatch5

Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 01:23 AM

What is the purpose/advantage of jigs with a sickle hook? I am new to crappie fishing and have been using Bonehead Tackle jigheads with good success but sure wouldn't mind using the $2 per 10 Big Bite bronze roundbend hook jigheads considering how many I am breaking off while shooting docks. I know it is probably a you get what you pay for situation but I probably broke off nearly 10 jigs and my son probably 30 yesterday! I hope we will both get better at it before I go broke! It is easy to see the quality is definitely better on the Bonehead jigs but does what does the sickle shape do?

Thanks for any input, Jason.
Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 01:45 AM

Just switch til you get better at shooting docks.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 02:11 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50ct-1-8oz-Unp-Round-Head-w-no-collar-Ball-Only-w-4-Red-Sickle-Hook-/222481389561?hash=item33ccec97f9:g:AEUAAOSw5cNYF70l

All i ever used. They catch, I promise. And great price.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 02:22 AM

You should be able to order some sickle hook jigheads in bulk from somewhere online for $10-$15 for 100 coung
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 02:31 AM

I use 1/16th ounce also. 1/8 if it windy.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 10:22 AM

Try using sickle hook jigheads with weedguards. It will help with hangups. and if you trim the weedguard, if will not affect the hookup.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 12:35 PM

Look here. This is where I get my jigs. Great guys and quick ship. And they are Texas guys.
And plus one on the weed guards. I use to use them all the time, but have gotten better fishing brush and don't need them now.
http://stores.crazyanglertackle.com/pro-barb-heads/
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 02:58 PM

Check out Crazy Angler for some great prices on jigheads with sickle hooks in bulk. They are all I ever use as fish get hooked and STAY hooked better with sickles. I will never put another jig in the water that is not a sickle. If that 3 pounder decides to jump on my jig, I want to make sure I have the best hook for that.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 05:35 PM

I started using some sickle head jigs last year from Jiggin Jerry. Got some additional ones from Giltmore. What I have found is it's harder for a crappie to spit out that jig as it tends to hook them in the top of the mouth almost automatically with even the slightest pressure.

I really like them and will use them in the future.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: cantcatch5
What is the purpose/advantage of jigs with a sickle hook? I am new to crappie fishing and have been using Bonehead Tackle jigheads with good success but sure wouldn't mind using the $2 per 10 Big Bite bronze roundbend hook jigheads considering how many I am breaking off while shooting docks. I know it is probably a you get what you pay for situation but I probably broke off nearly 10 jigs and my son probably 30 yesterday! I hope we will both get better at it before I go broke! It is easy to see the quality is definitely better on the Bonehead jigs but does what does the sickle shape do?

Thanks for any input, Jason.
Sickle Hooks tend to be sharper IMHO PM sent

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 07:21 PM

Ron Olquin www.nekidtackle.com he will do you right!
Posted By: SARG

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/15/17 11:46 PM

I use hooks with points,they seem to work well before all these gimmick(improvements)
Having a "sharper" hook(new to new) is a ridiculous marketing vacuum for $$$$$
I stab plenty and plenty deep with generic type points from bulk sources
Playing trendy is only costing you money
If you cant pour your own the ones at Walmart work just fine,paint is just as cheap and eyes are just a Sharpie away.
The government taught many sheep to follow,dont be that sheep

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/16/17 12:31 AM

Thanks for all the pointers guys! I have been a serious fisherman all my life (bass) and only recently started trying to learn crappie fishing and I am amazed at how helpful everyone is! There is a lot more to catching them than I ever thought.

Thanks again, Jason
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/16/17 01:44 PM

Jason - from my perspective the sickle hooks are sharper!

I've had bad luck with the ones I got from bonehead breaking at the lead way too much compared to others.

You might also consider using smaller hooks - like #6 or #8 as they offer a smaller profile and could help catch more crappie - when it matters.

Good luck!
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/17/17 05:38 PM

What is the purpose/advantage of jigs with a sickle hook? It is easy to see the quality is definitely better on the Bonehead jigs but does what does the sickle shape do?

I don't think the sickle "shape" makes any difference. Its the sharpness of the sickle "hook" that I like. I haven't found any other crappie hooks that even come close.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/17/17 07:51 PM

I have used just the standard bronze and gold hooks all my life with plenty of success. Recently I started using some thicker baits and was concerned about the lack of gap between the back of the bait and the hook point. I started looking around for a wide gap hook and stumbled across some Arkie heads with the sickle hook. When compared to the standard hooks on most Arkie heads the gap difference was significant! Not sure if all sickle hooks have the wider gap like that but in the case of the Arkie it was the kind of thing I was looking for.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/17/17 11:20 PM

Crazy how WE have caught fish for many decades and now gimmicks define our success?
Listen to how some of you sound
My 1970's Eagle Claw hooks caught all the fish my skills were able to engage
Some now need to understand "sharp" isnt the saving grace in fishing hooks
End of the day it is what it is,history supports it,percentages support it
Truth does not have two sides

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/17/17 11:43 PM

Sarg I assume (my knowledge is limited hence the original question) that it is much like bass hooks which I do have knowledge of. I caught fish on a plastic worm as a kid 30 years ago using a 2/0 tru-turn hook. It was the best that was out there at the time. There is no chance I would fish a tournament with that hook tied on now. With the increased pressure and greatly improved gear there are more productive options. I know I could catch a fish wit the hooks from 30 years ago but I am confident I would have more hook ups and land more fish with a laser sharpened Trokar hook that is on the market now. I don't HAVE to have the newest and greatest gear out there but if there is something that can help me out and I can afford it I will use it...but if there is a cheaper option that is just as good I will use that too!

Thanks again for all of the shared knowledge, I really do appreciate the help and enjoy learning, improving and teaching my boys what I have learned!

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/18/17 09:57 AM

I just see the world for what it is now,I make no excuses for my part.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/18/17 01:33 PM

Sarg, you pour your own jigheads, correct? What hooks are you using for them???

I can get sickle hooks CHEAPER than I can get Eagle Claws AND the sickle's are sharper.... That's a WIN WIN in my books.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/18/17 02:20 PM

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/19/17 12:58 AM

But of coarse . . . . .
I dont need "wins" in my world,I know when my experience is correct and thats always good enough.
Im not a very good follower of the worlds view on truth or what is truth in the 21st century.
Just different by choice
Watch for my new under spin jig heads,Im waiting on a clear Patent before selling out the design.
My hooks come from China in bulk,very strong and very much sharp

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
Sarg, you pour your own jigheads, correct? What hooks are you using for them???

I can get sickle hooks CHEAPER than I can get Eagle Claws AND the sickle's are sharper.... That's a WIN WIN in my books.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/19/17 01:00 AM

he would like to be but . . . . .
There are many that are well before him

Originally Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/19/17 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Sarg

So,..... You DO approve of sharp hooks, you just don't "like" the sickle hooks?....

If you have found something "better", thats a good thing. I just haven't run across them yet.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/19/17 11:35 PM

AGAIN!!!
Its not a "better thing"
Ive been buying the same hooks since 1995
Same quality for 22 years,I dont fix what aint broke
Literally 100's of reels and other things show up in shipments I never order
I have several items that will never see the USA and its very much high quality.
China builds some really good stuff,its not the cheap junk they have you believing products from China are.
New metal sourcing next year . . . . . think HotWheels and youll be close wink (Thanks to China)
Point remains,Im 22yrs in this game and need no advertising or forum support
How cool is that simplicity?
Originally Posted By: REDGUN

So,..... You DO approve of sharp hooks, you just don't "like" the sickle hooks?....

If you have found something "better", thats a good thing. I just haven't run across them yet.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/19/17 11:54 PM

Sarg... You sure know how to kill a thread. I guess if we agree with you then we are right and if we disagree then we are wrong. bang
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/19/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: MilesHunter
Sarg... You sure know how to kill a thread. I guess if we agree with you then we are right and if we disagree then we are wrong. bang

Closed minded people think their way is the only way. I have had a few of those people in my boat over the years and by the end of the day they are usually singing a different tune.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:11 AM

I appreciate those who gave helpful advice. It has been a good read for me. I especially appreciate the help and pointers from Redgun.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:34 AM

Hate on what you cant put in a box.
He pressed it and I pinned him
Sheep follow,Im 20+YRS IN SOLID REP ON CASTING QUALITY(I dont advertise literally anywhere)
Truth has killed many a thread on TFF with all the fist pumpers over the years and it is what it is.
Ill never offer product on this page,NEVER(no need/want)
Im far from close minded,Im very much secure with my yearly sell out without advertising
Suck part is,I do what I do and done what I done LONG before ANY other position offered in this thread.
My small foundry cast lead to a piece of Chinese wire and Redgun is the TFF hero
AWESOME!! he advertises,I dont
End of the day I sell out every season Hmmmmmmm?

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:38 AM

It was YOU that put YOU in said position correct?
Redgun didnt,I didnt and rereading the entire thread puts YOU that put YOU in said position
You might look into not doing things of said nature,snowflakes melt these days(global warming)

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:41 AM

Im far from close minded,Im very much secure

Your posts are not those of a secure man. Quite the opposite. They scream insecurity.

You should take a couple of these chill chill

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:44 AM

It was YOU that put YOU in said position correct?
Redgun didnt,I didnt and rereading the entire thread puts YOU that put YOU in said position
You might look into not doing things of said nature,snowflakes melt these days(global warming)

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Here's a couple more chill chill

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:47 AM

Man Sarg, I can't follow a dang thing you have said in any of your posts. It may sound profound in your head but when you post it you pretty much come of as arrogant or drunk or both! Why not move along...we get it you think we are all stupid lemmings following each other's advice but remember I started this thread ASKING for advice...you believe you know it all. I don't and want to learn which is why I asked for everyone's opinion.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:47 AM

troll

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:50 AM

roflmao

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:51 AM

Crazy how TRUMP did the SAME THING Huh?
Awesome!!
Man Sarg, I can't follow a dang thing you have said in any of your posts. It may sound profound in your head but when you post it you pretty much come of as arrogant or drunk or both! Why not move along...we get it you think we are all stupid lemmings following each other's advice but remember I started this thread ASKING for advice...you believe you know it all. I don't and want to learn which is why I asked for everyone's opinion.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:53 AM

What?

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 02:57 AM

What?
Man just leave it alone coolio leave it alone
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 11:06 AM

"Man Sarg, I can't follow a dang thing you have said in any of your posts. It may sound profound in your head but when you post it you pretty much come of as arrogant or drunk or both!"
roflmao
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 03:43 PM

popcorn2
peep
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 03:57 PM

Crazy how he took it from sickle hooks to Trump LOL
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 04:59 PM

This is all over the map. I'm confused.

I like sickle hooks. Maybe I'm a sheep. Baaaa.

Re: Sickle hook question - 05/20/17 11:53 PM

banana banana roflmao stir
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum