Texas Fishing Forum

A little tip

Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service

A little tip - 10/28/16 02:58 PM

Sometimes minnows make a huge difference but at $3.00-$3.50 a dozen they get pricey. I cut them in half and tip a jig with them. Fish seem to bite them just as good and they go twice as far.
Posted By: Laner

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 03:31 PM

I'll second that tip. If they're really picky (mid day full moon phase) I'll put the minnow pieces straight on the jig with no jig body.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Laner
I'll second that tip. If they're really picky (mid day full moon phase) I'll put the minnow pieces straight on the jig with no jig body.
I call it the pinched head minnow. just pinch the head off and insert the jig. It works great @ Navarro mills & in the Bardwell Triangle thumb

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 05:56 PM

+1
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 06:38 PM

Good tip!!! Clay will cut them into 4-5 pieces and stick them on a jig!
Posted By: Laner

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 07:20 PM

I call it that too Mr. Bonz smile I heard it works well with a hot pink head... I will say though, when I'm pinching the head, I'll use the whole minnow carcass. When I just need a little "motivation" I'll use bits and pieces of the minnow. Crappie Nibble on steroids, and it adds a beautiful sparkle to my finger nails.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 08:39 PM

LOL...minners...that's cheatin.

There are those days that they just don't bite a jig well even with Slabslobber and/or PowerBait.

Nothing like watching an old slip cork slide under the surface, or lay flat on top of the water.

Thanks for the tip. If I buy minners, I try to purchase by weight and not count. They buy them by weight, they should sell by weight.

Re: A little tip - 10/28/16 11:15 PM

I call it that too Mr. Bonz smile I heard it works well with a hot pink head... I will say though, when I'm pinching the head, I'll use the whole minnow carcass. When I just need a little "motivation" I'll use bits and pieces of the minnow. Crappie Nibble on steroids, and it adds a beautiful sparkle to my finger nails.
roflmao roflmao
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A little tip - 10/29/16 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service
Sometimes minnows make a huge difference but at $3.00-$3.50 a dozen they get pricey. I cut them in half and tip a jig with them. Fish seem to bite them just as good and they go twice as far.

Totally agree. I have done that with good results! hooked
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: A little tip - 10/29/16 01:25 PM

A small piece of cut bait on the jig also works at times. (and it's free)
Posted By: Thunk

Re: A little tip - 10/29/16 11:34 PM

I keep a snack bag of frozen shad on hand to tip my jigs and shake the scales off my knife if a location is holding crappie. Cut ✂ pieces the size of a minnow and put on my shad dart jig heads and nail em!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: A little tip - 10/30/16 03:35 PM

So, where do you find the shad? The striper guides here on Texoma tell me everytime they throw their cast nets they come up full of baby crappie! I'm thinking the next few years Texoma will be the crappie capitol of the world!
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: A little tip - 10/30/16 05:59 PM

Shad are easy to catch on Texoma right now. Try any cove. Also, a half pound of crappie minnows goes a long way.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: A little tip - 10/30/16 06:38 PM

Any fish will work, Think maybe it the smell. On putting it on to tip a jig a lot of times if you use red mark-a-lot to make it look like blood just behind shad it helps.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: A little tip - 10/31/16 03:25 PM

when I use minnows I put the hook point right thru the center of the head. The bright red blood seeps out and attracts big crappie. The center of the head is hardest and the minnow doesnt come off as easy. why folks want to try and hook them thru the lips is beyond me. Im not trying to keep them alive for long, Im wanting to exchange that minnow for a slab crappie as soon as possible. also when I lose a minnow I kind of keep an eye out around the boat, sometimes they come to the surface with a little brain damage (hook point thru the head), and you can scoop them up with the minnow net and send them on a second mission.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: A little tip - 11/01/16 12:08 AM

There goes Ernest and his cut up drum again!

Hi there Mr Paty!!!

Rudy

Good advice Jerry
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum