Texas Fishing Forum

the skunk is strong lavon

Posted By: kdub#1

the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 01:42 PM

Been out at least 4 times in the last week and have been skunked every time. Took the kayak to fish the timber outside brockdale and explore the creeks in the area, fished under the mile long bridge, and went up north to a big shallow flat and got out with the jigging pole. Nada All fishing has been on jigs. Mostly 1/16 black/chart.

Am I just fishing the wrong spots or what!!?!!? juggle
Posted By: Gmann

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 01:46 PM

Was tough Sunday morning, waded for 1.5 hours, didn't have a thump
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 01:52 PM

With another flood looming this weekend, it is shaping up to be a tough spring everywhere.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 02:13 PM

I went out on the main lake on Saturday morning. I caught a channel cat within the first 15 minutes off of a rock pile. I moved to Collin Park and fished the tires and caught a LMB. Then I decided that all the fish must be in the warmer water up North. Wrong, I traveled up there and saw a good amount of people fishing the bridges, but didn't see anyone catching. I ended the day with one finger sized crappie and off the water at 3:30.

I went to my slip the next morning @ 7:30 and shot the bull with some fellows until 10:30 and I cut up 4 keepers and the shad were spawning in the slips big time. Slip fish were @ 7-8' off of brush. I need to try in the evening.
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 04:26 PM

Yesterday i saw a few guys out there wading. They all seemed to have caught their limits. Looked like every 5 minutes someone was pulling in a fish.
Posted By: Desull

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Coreywms
Yesterday i saw a few guys out there wading. They all seemed to have caught their limits. Looked like every 5 minutes someone was pulling in a fish.

Would you mind sharing where you saw some folks wading? Looking for a general area. I have been too busy on the weekend to take my boat out and I am hoping to figure out how to hit them close to the bank after work. Thanks

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 07:03 PM

I already sent him a pm.

He doesn't want to give away the spot. I respect that.
Posted By: Desull

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 07:11 PM

That's cool. I am just going to poke around Brockdale or highland after work one day and then try mallard area later on.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/11/16 11:05 PM

Went last week to scout for a couple of hours and caught 14 from 8 to 16' of water near the bottom on brush and submerged timber.

Fished the rain this morning and found a tough bite. I could see them plain as day on the graph but they didn't want to play. Boated 10... I can't wait for post spawn pattern.

Found some nice black crappie on Ray Hubbard last Thursday. The bite was pretty good for a quick trip. Took a spin around the main lake and picked up fish at most stops.

Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1
I already sent him a pm.

Kdub as a duck hunter you should know better lol. Man I fished Lavon hard this past Wednesday and Saturday, caught one sandbass, one lmb, and one stinking catfish, all on a jig wading.
whip
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 01:03 AM

Super sweet graph pics tommy! Thanks for sharing.. Almost put my waders on reading and eyeball in your pics!

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: FishingGuy
I already sent him a pm.

Kdub as a duck hunter you should know better lol. Man I fished Lavon hard this past Wednesday and Saturday, caught one sandbass, one lmb, and one stinking catfish, all on a jig wading.
whip

Ducks are different. People with guns vs fishing poles. Plus asking the general area of someone who observed someone else catching fish via p.m is different than blasting someones's spot on an open forum. THe available huntable public acerage vs fishable water is not comparable. Suck it. I don't need your 2cents

Posted By: tboxfish

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 01:43 PM

Got some pics sent to me from a buddy, he's been catching some nice ones from the slips on Lavon hmmm

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 02:00 PM

Tried a new spot. Met a cool guy named Tip down there, obviously knows crappie and the lake. Didn't catch fish but according to Tip my crappie math was strong, they just weren't there yet.
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 04:44 PM

Anyone know if the dam area is still open? I thought I read somewhere that it was closed.

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 04:48 PM

The gates are closed. THe area is open, but not the gates.

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 05:41 PM

Tried a new spot. Met a cool guy named Tip down there, obviously knows crappie and the lake. Didn't catch fish but according to Tip my crappie math was strong, they just weren't there yet.

Have you met Joe? He feeds a heron named "Toby" he also says the same thing about them just not being there yet.
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 05:54 PM

The gates are closed. THe area is open, but not the gates.

Thanks

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey

Have you met Joe? He feeds a heron named "Toby" he also says the same thing about them just not being there yet.

I haven't met him yet. There are def. some characters around the lake and can be fun to shoot the sh... with. Haven't met many bad ones yet.

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/12/16 09:11 PM

Is he an older guy in a small boat? Watched a guy catch undersized crappie, whistle at a heron, then threw the crappie toward the heron for him to eat. Tried it myself one day when a heron flew by and it damn near broke it's neck trying to turn around.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/14/16 05:42 PM

They were not in the cove behind Collin Park marina last weekend. We fished it hard all the way to the power line and hooked one. I will give you all one clue to catching them. Seek out flooded willows and fish tight to them. What's up with the boat ramp closures? East Fork is open to camping but ramp will be shut down all summer. Avalon is not open at all.

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/14/16 06:47 PM

Good clue.

Not sure about the closures. All I know is that there are a LOT more ramps open now than there have been in the past year or so.

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/14/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Gmann
Is he an older guy in a small boat? Watched a guy catch undersized crappie, whistle at a heron, then threw the crappie toward the heron for him to eat. Tried it myself one day when a heron flew by and it damn near broke it's neck trying to turn around.
This guy fishes out of a tube. He is an older feller, and is also a talker, I like to hear old timers stories.
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/15/16 06:39 PM

His name is Joe and he actually raised two birds there that were abandoned babies. A white egret and a blue heron. Pretty cool to watch him on that point and then he will call for them, and they fly over. Joe lives in a tent in East Fork. He is homeless. He has lived in the park as long as I can remember. East Fork Park gave him a job and he cleans up the trash on the banks of Lavon. He did a major cleaning below the dam when they drained the basin. Yes - he's a talker but has stories that will help you out in the future while fishing the lake.

Get out of the boat and jig the bases of the button willows in 2-3 ft. Black and Chartreuse seems to be the color for me. 1/16 -1/8 oz jig. I even have a hard time catching them out of the boat right now. You'll only have to be knee-deep or thigh deep to get these things out of the Willows. Every cove I have waded, produced fish. They have definitely moved back after that major storm that rolled through. With all this rain they might Open the flood gate and I don't have a clue what that will do to them. But till then, pound those coves in 2 to 4 foot and you will catch them. I have had many emails and texts telling me they got out of the boat and actually started catching. This is the easiest time of year for anybody to catch one of these fish that does not have a boat. Google earth is your friend right now. Figure out how to get into a cove make sure you don't sink more then over your ankles in mud and go have fun. If you do sink over your ankles you might want to find a different Cove. The harder the bottom the more fish you will find.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/15/16 10:14 PM

Best advice given. thumb
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/15/16 11:03 PM

The females still haven't moved up.

Again today in deeper water was fun.

Great to see the party hasn't really started.

15' from surface on Bluegrass Slim Sticks.

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/17/16 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
The females still haven't moved up.

Two of us put 27 in the box on Saturday jungle style, 80% of them were males

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/18/16 01:03 PM

I finally caught a few on Saturday morning too. They were hitting a jig right on the creek bank in less than a ft of water. Now there is a river flood warning. violin
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/18/16 01:19 PM

I finally caught a few on Saturday morning too. They were hitting a jig right on the creek bank in less than a ft of water. Now there is a river flood warning. violin

Hate it when you finally start getting them down and something comes along and messes it up all over again lol

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/18/16 04:39 PM

Thanks for the info Carey clap I stop by and see Joe every time that I'm out there. I am going to get back out there pretty soon and try and develop a plan to stock the freezer.
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: the skunk is strong lavon - 04/18/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey
Originally Posted By: Gmann
This guy fishes out of a tube. He is an older feller, and is also a talker, I like to hear old timers stories.
I believe I've seen him in his tube below the dam before.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum