Texas Fishing Forum

Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa

Posted By: tboxfish

Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 03:00 PM

While topping off the gas in the boat @ Star Mart, ran into Cellis and Granadaslabs.
We quickly discussed patterns, with some talk about where I've noticed the lake turning over at, then departed to separate areas of the lake.

We started on a brush pile close to the ramp, but only caught a bunch of dinks......graphed some more structure, but didn't see any quality fish.
Headed down the boat lane and passed El Rojo.....We both shut down and turned to talk for a second.......
Now I didn't mention that it was a vey brisk morning and I had on a thin fishing shirt, shorts & sandals....
but It wasn't bad enough to warrant going after add'l clothing.......
That is until I turned and crossed ER's boat wake and got soaked on my entire left side........
BURRR!!!!!
After quick "Howdy's" we continued our journey the area where we ended up spending the rest of our trip.
I almost froze till I dried off and had to fish facing the sun till I warmed up.

We fished an area that I caught fish last fall, but only caught 1 keeper......Headed past another bp, graphed it as I pasted and it was LOADED,
but there was a boat with a couple of guys bass fishing about 15yds from it, so we graphed some more bp's and fished a couple, but only caught a few dinks.
Pulled up to a big stumpin 23 fow, dropped a jig down to 20'....THUMP....Lost a fish over 2# right at the surface bang
Dropped back down and stuck the 1st good keeper banana

Caught another good fish then nada.....heard a boat plane out, turned and it was the bass boat leaving.
Quickly motored back to the loaded bp and started loading the box.. We were in 17 fow, catching fish 15' down thumb

After they slowed down, we moved to another bp and RS stuck a goodun clap

We ended the trip, I needed to be off the water @ 2:30 and RS at 2 on some stumps in 17 fow, but caught some dandies 10 deep.
We left them biting hammer

We had 28 in the box, best 7 below.....smallest of which was 1.5# and the largest was 2.5#......wish I had been fishing a tourney...

Almost all the fish were caught on BES Tadpole on a 1/32 orange jighead ...water temp is in the upper 70's

Belinda & I snuck out the next evening, but it was bad windy. Every spot we went to that was protected produced dinks.
As the sun started sinking, we went to the 1st spot that RS and I fish after meeting up with ER and caught a few.
Left there and followed the main channel out, found a tree that was leaning over the channel right in a bend that was loaded!
Caught fish right and left till we had to leave as it was almost too dark to see realmad
Left them biting again....same lure was still working clap
When we got home, we had 20 to clean for the GTG cheers

What I've put together.....Fish in the areas that the turn over is done can be anywhere in the water column,
I think this is due to the lack of a thermocline hmmm
The main concentrations of fish that I've found are on structure on points, either directly on the point or the sides or along the creek channels.

The fish are fat & biting real good, so now is the time to stock your freezer thumb
Posted By: SK.

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 03:16 PM

Great trip that can really be appreciated, ain't nothin like having to hunt them down & then wack'em...
Posted By: GhostRider32

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 03:19 PM

Nice catch.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 04:18 PM

Aint nothing like a good hawwwg hunt...WTG TBox cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 04:22 PM

Awesome post with some very nice fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 04:55 PM

Thanks for the great post. Even better than watchin Bill Dance. thumb
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 05:22 PM

Great post. Sounds like some good fishing trips!

So let me get this straight, fish where there is no thermocline, but use Thermocline jigs? roflmao

cheers
Posted By: Eric

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 05:45 PM

guessing Black Emerald Shiner one of his great colors
Posted By: cellis

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 06:40 PM

You guys got some great fish, Todd. Nice report, too. Good to get to talk with you. thumb
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 08:49 PM

Nice fish guys thumb
I was wearing shorts and sandals also and quickly regretted it luckily I brought a hoodie.Ill be back out there as soon as I can
hooked
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 09:14 PM

The tadpole looks good, I will place my bet on the monkey milk, and pearl ice being the top two from now till March. The fish catch looked good for sure.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/13/15 10:36 PM

nice! thumb
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/14/15 01:40 AM

thumb
Posted By: crope1

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/14/15 04:16 AM

Thanks for the very informative post Mr Box....as always,some nice hogs!
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/15/15 12:38 AM

GOOD JOB TODD
Posted By: dcar

Re: Fork 10-10 w/Red Snappa - 10/15/15 12:45 AM

Awesome fish and report thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum