Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway

Posted By: big10

Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 04:25 PM

Keith had his post on nm so I figured I would make one on Somerville. Currently Somerville is .9 feet from flood pool. I'm assuming this is the point it will go over. Not sure if these gates are designed to have water run over them. If so, why not release a little water to avoid a disaster. hmmm loco
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 04:59 PM

I've heard it's already going over.

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 05:17 PM

Probably is already going over. Not sure how often they update the site but now it shows to be rising over a foot every 24 hours. If it's not going over now, it will be soon with them only releasing 1 cfs
Posted By: Texashorseman

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 05:37 PM

I does not go over the gates.....it goes over at the overlook end of the dam.....I will post a pic shortly of what it looked like early this morning.....
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 06:03 PM

Here's a link to the Brazos River guages. When you move the cursor over a gauge station, you can read the flood stage. Note the Brazos is almost at flood stage at Hempstead and Richmond. And the river is flowing over 100,000 CFS at Hempstead. If you live near the river in that area or farm or ranch in that area, you probably have a different opinion about releasing water than we do up river.
http://www.brazos.org/USGSGaugingSystem.asp
Posted By: Texashorseman

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 06:07 PM

Here is one from yesterday.....could not find the one from this morning....it was almost over the concrete spillway part on the left of the picture.....this is looking from the dam toward overlook end....
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 06:44 PM

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 07:39 PM

Yes ken, I look at that site several times a day as well as this one.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/cgi-bin/rcshtml.pl?page=Reports&report=fish

I'm not saying i disagree with them holding all the water around here. Just saying they could maybe let a little out of some of the highest lakes to keep them from running over.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 11:32 PM

Sorry Jerry, wasn't meaning to point a finger. Understanding the COE is beyond me anyway.
Posted By: Jay In Somerville

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/28/15 11:59 PM

Yup, it's bad. Lots of folks worried here. Guess I wont be fishing for awhile.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Lake Somerville Very Close to Spillway - 05/29/15 07:06 AM

But the duck hunting will be fantastic!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum