Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek - 4/5/15

Posted By: Bud B

Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 12:25 AM

I'm on vacation for the next three days and was going to wait until tomorrow to do some fishing, but when I sat down at my computer late this morning and looked at the weather forecast, I saw that the wind is supposed to be howling all three days, so I decided to get out for a few hours this afternoon.

By the time I got on the water, it was almost 1:00. Water temps were 62-63 degrees where I was. With today being Easter, you would expect Cedar Creek to be crowded, but with the dark and wet day, with temps in the lower 50's, I saw very few boats on the lake. The wind stayed around 10 mph, pretty much straight from the east all afternoon.

The old "Wind from the east, fish bite least" saying was not true at all today. In less than 4 hours of fishing, I caught 26 keeping size crappie. The fish ran bigger than on Friday, too, with lots of really nice ones. I caught the fish on or near the bottom, in 9 to 12 feet of water. It was one of those days when pitching the jig out and letting it swing back in worked better than just dropping it straight down.

I caught everything on my 3/32 oz pill head jigs, rigged with my homemade 2" plastic shad. Dark gray shad was the best color, but they hit electric chicken really well, too. There were more black crappie than whites, but several of the nicest fish were white crappie. I kept 3 fish and released the rest. My first limit of crappie for the year, and it came on my birthday. Nice.

A nice belly on this fish.

It was a mix of nice black and white crappie today.
Posted By: AF_Chief

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 12:42 AM

Nice fish!!! Congrats!

AF_Chief
Posted By: dcar

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 12:54 AM

Good Job on a cool wet day! cheers
Posted By: Mantooth

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 01:25 AM

Great fishing! I took my daughters out on CC this weekend, didn't have near the catch you did. Caught about a half dozen, minnows under bobbers.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 01:33 AM

Great post.Great fish! cheers
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 01:46 AM

Great job!
Posted By: marktx

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 04:37 AM

I was out there as well but wading off 175 and landed 15 but missed a lot more then that for some reason. They just wouldn't stay on and barely hooking the ones I landed. Think they just were nipping it since most hits were very light. One thing I noticed off 175 I haven't or seen a white crappie yet they have all been black crappie there this year.they are in. There but only finding pockets of them in certain weeds and nothing off the rocks or bridges anymore. Only thing I can say is find hard bottom with a find clean weed edge and from knee to waist deep and they are there. Just hard to find areas like that this year with all the flooded weeds that grew with all the low water.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 04:40 AM

Nice slabs cheers
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 05:22 AM

Way to go Bud
Posted By: plateboater

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 09:52 AM

Good day there!!
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 11:19 AM

Bud B....U r my idol.....Wtg flehan
Posted By: jig master

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 11:49 AM

Good Job. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: marktx
I was out there as well but wading off 175 and landed 15 but missed a lot more then that for some reason. They just wouldn't stay on and barely hooking the ones I landed. Think they just were nipping it since most hits were very light. One thing I noticed off 175 I haven't or seen a white crappie yet they have all been black crappie there this year.they are in. There but only finding pockets of them in certain weeds and nothing off the rocks or bridges anymore. Only thing I can say is find hard bottom with a find clean weed edge and from knee to waist deep and they are there. Just hard to find areas like that this year with all the flooded weeds that grew with all the low water.

Good info, Mark. I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find many shallow on the main lake this year.

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: lookingfor25
Way to go Bud

I thought about giving you a call when I decided to go yesterday, Lehman, but I didn't figure your family would appreciate me trying to drag you away on Easter Sunday.

I'm still debating about getting out this afternoon. The wind forecast doesn't sound promising.
Posted By: Gonzz

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 08:50 PM

Any bridge fishing?
Posted By: 1tex

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 09:13 PM

Looks like a great day! Oh,and Happy Birthday!
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/06/15 10:23 PM

Happy Birthday and congrats on the fish...
Posted By: cellis

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 12:24 AM

Good job, Bud.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 01:25 AM

Nice catch Bud! How's the water looking like now? Still muddy?
Posted By: crappiecat1

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 04:19 AM

great pic
Posted By: spinnerbait72

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 05:07 AM

Nice birthday catch!!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 06:12 AM

wtg to Mr B! may you be blessed with many more birthdys!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 03:00 PM

They looked bigger than the measuring box! Big'ens for sure! Nice work.

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/07/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76
Nice catch Bud! How's the water looking like now? Still muddy?
The upper lake is still pretty muddy. It's been looking better from power line cove on down, but with water being released at the spillway now, that may pull the mud on down the lake some.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/5/15 - 04/08/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: marktx

I think that the same scenario in many places, they are very scattered and spawning on the vegetation that grew during the low water period. That is what is natural to them, that is what they spawned on before all the structure settled in the lakes and timber before it was just a river or creek. like wally marshall said,, if your on a bank and theres one area with green catails, and the rest brown or dead, the crappie will be near the live green vegetation.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum