Texas Fishing Forum

Lake worth crappie?

Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Lake worth crappie? - 03/29/15 03:18 PM

Is the crappie fishing any good there? I've only fished it a couple of times and only caught white bass. I've notice Christmas trees and pvc pipes under some docks. Just wondering if it is worth fishing for.
Posted By: fishing_ken

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 03/29/15 07:45 PM

Myself and a person I was told is banned from the forum now fished it quite a bit a few months ago. The lake holds some really nice black and white crappie. Wish he was still here, im sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction. In all, id say its worth a try.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 03/30/15 02:52 AM

I've ate plenty of crappie and sandies from lake worth and I haven't turned inside out yet. The crappie are on fire right now the females I've cleaned are about to pop. Get you a bucket of minnows and have fun.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 03/30/15 04:33 AM

I ate a couple of white bass and never got sick. I think I'm gonna try just for crappie next. Maybe throw some jigs under the docks.
Posted By: Snagalager

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 03/30/15 02:25 PM

Its not the immediate effects you have to worry about when consumed. hmmm
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 03/30/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: fishing_ken
Myself and a person I was told is banned from the forum now fished it quite a bit a few months ago. The lake holds some really nice black and white crappie. Wish he was still here, im sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction. In all, id say its worth a try.
Fishing_ken clear some of your messages!
Posted By: D. Mac

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 03/30/15 09:35 PM

The advisory states "Clear Fork of Trinity River from Benbrook Reservoir dam and West Fork from Lake Worth dam, including main stem of the Trinity downstream to US 287 bridge". Doesn't that mean the fish came out of lake worth?? God only knows what the Air Force base dumped in that lake in the 40 's, 50's and 60's etc lol.. Maybe that's why there is a banned on Mountain creek cause it also borders a Naval base too. roflmao
Posted By: hub_cap

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/01/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: krazy kris
I've ate plenty of crappie and sandies from lake worth and I haven't turned inside out yet. The crappie are on fire right now the females I've cleaned are about to pop. Get you a bucket of minnows and have fun.

Where have you been catching em at? Are they near the banks, or out around structure in the lake. Went out about 2 wks ago, and couldn't buy a bump...but I'd imagine that the water has warmed up a bit since then.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/01/15 07:40 PM

Yesterday when I was out water temp was in the low 70's. I was sitting in 2ft of water pitching as far back under the dock as I could get towards the bank and hammered them every time.
Posted By: dapepper

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/07/15 02:06 PM

Anyone having any luck recently (last couple days) with the crappie on Lake Worth? I went Saturday, and caught 1 on a minnow, with a couple of other bites. Am I too late?? I was in the shallows, up near the docks.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/07/15 06:00 PM

What part of the lake did you fish? I'm gonna give it a try in the morning.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/10/15 02:16 AM

I fished near the 820 bridge. Both sides. Any yesterday?

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/10/15 02:44 AM

We didn't go until this evening, caught one crappie a catfish and a bass by some docks before the front ran us off. Are there brush piles by the bridge? That's where I launch at. If you take a right from the launch around the first corner is where I fished.
Posted By: Tod Fridge

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/12/15 01:36 AM

Last time I launched at Lake Worth there was a consumption ban sign at the launch by the 820 bridge. Been a few years ago.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/12/15 05:03 AM

That's the area I normally hit first too. Not far from bridge. How deep were you fishing?
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/12/15 02:31 PM

I am still concerned about eating anything that comes out of this lake; catch and release only. Because of the states caution - I stay away from this one.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/12/15 07:38 PM

Looking to get out and fish the bridges in the near future. Hope they show up soon.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/12/15 10:24 PM

Checked tpwd site and the ban has been lifted. Only mentions the catfish and carp now. Talked to some other people, and they eat all the crappie they catch.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/13/15 04:36 AM

I fished some coves the other day and caught a few crappie and a white bass. Caught 2 nice size channel cats, that was a fun fight on light tackle. Tried the bridges, but couldn't find anything there.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 02:48 AM

I'm thinking about trying again this weekend for some crappie. What kind of bait? Had decent luck on minnows.
Posted By: Johnbowman1974

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 04:06 AM

Ahhh Lake Worth, some good memoies out there. This is the lake that got me hook'ed on fishing. My grandfather would take me out to the old fishing barge they use to have back in the mid 80's. We would slay crappie all night long.

It was here were my grandfather also disowned me as his fishing grandchild. I switched from minnows to crappie jigs and small flys. I remember him pushing me in the water our last fishing trip to LW together because I was talking smack to the old man on how much more fish I caught than he did by useing the plastic method. smile

Back on subject. I know the ban was lifted recently on everything but catfish, buffalo and carp. No worries as i have never targeted these fish. So in the morning I think I will take my GF out to the 820 bridge and see if we can dig up some morning slabs.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 04:33 AM

I was using jigs under a float about a 1 1/2 to 2 ft. Every time I go there is 3 guys on the courtesy dock with a basket full of crappie. I might just fish with them next time, they do better than I do.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 04:48 AM

I will look for the 3 guys and memic there actions lizard
Posted By: jmusmc1998

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 02:06 PM

Using jigs with the floats...do you let the crappie take the float under water and then slowly reel in? Or do you let the float pull and then immediately reel in? We kept getting crappie hits with plastic shadst..no matter how slow we went we could not set the hook. I think we should have used a bobber instead of a 1/4 oz jig head hook..Any advice?

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 02:24 PM

1/4 oz sounds kinda heavy, I think our was smaller. I was using the electric chicken color. Didn't have a problem setting the hook, in fact I caught one crappie about 3 inches long.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/15/15 08:37 PM

Heading to LW now.. should be there around 4ish. 820 Bridge area.... Purple TCU shirt beating up the banks.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/16/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Johnbowman1974
Heading to LW now.. should be there around 4ish. 820 Bridge area.... Purple TCU shirt beating up the banks.

So hiw did you do? Heard there was some activity on the bank in one of the parks around the lake.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/16/15 01:37 AM

Update: 4/15/15

Time 4:00pm till 8:00Pm
Water:Stained
Wind: Out of the south 5-15 MPH
Sunny

First off let me start by saying, man I need a boat:)
When I first got there I talked with some boaters who were saying they were catching crappie in 2-15 feet of water. I spoke with several of them and all word of mouth was the same. One fella even showed me some of his fish, and a pretty decent catch he had. So I busted out my wading shoes and off I went.

The 820 bridge from the bank don't have a lot of options as to were to fish, so I beat the short bank line and floating dock the best I could. In the 2 hours I spent there I managed to drag in 4 crappie and one bass. All fish was caught off Black Chartreuse 1 1/2 inch Crappie Ringers suspended 1 foot under a bobber.

Moved to the 199 bridge area and after trashing around in the brush I found a few spots to cast around. Caught 3 more Crappie and a few perch using the same set-up. Called it quits at 8:00pm.

So In Total:
Crappie: 7 (2 Keepers)
Bass: 1 (Dink)
Perch: 1

Bait: Black Chartreuse 1 1/2 inch Crappie Ringers suspended 1 foot under a bobber.

***Notes***
From what I heard from our fellow fisherman the Crappie are finally starting to move shallow. You guys get ready should be getting hot.

Thanks
John Bowman
Posted By: Ranger7

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/16/15 02:29 AM

Be careful wading that lake, there are alligators in it LOL
Posted By: crope1

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/16/15 03:54 AM

welcome to the forum!

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/16/15 05:50 AM

I haven't seen a gator out the yet, I've seen the sign for them. Do they stay up around the nature center? I haven't made it up that far yet, looks like a lot of stumps everywhere.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/18/15 05:41 AM

Update: 4/15/15

Time 4:00pm till 8:00Pm
Water:Stained
Wind: Out of the south 5-15 MPH
Sunny

First off let me start by saying, man I need a boat:)
When I first got there I talked with some boaters who were saying they were catching crappie in 2-15 feet of water. I spoke with several of them and all word of mouth was the same. One fella even showed me some of his fish, and a pretty decent catch he had. So I busted out my wading shoes and off I went.

The 820 bridge from the bank don't have a lot of options as to were to fish, so I beat the short bank line and floating dock the best I could. In the 2 hours I spent there I managed to drag in 4 crappie and one bass. All fish was caught off Black Chartreuse 1 1/2 inch Crappie Ringers suspended 1 foot under a bobber.

Moved to the 199 bridge area and after trashing around in the brush I found a few spots to cast around. Caught 3 more Crappie and a few perch using the same set-up. Called it quits at 8:00pm.

So In Total:
Crappie: 7 (2 Keepers)
Bass: 1 (Dink)
Perch: 1

Bait: Black Chartreuse 1 1/2 inch Crappie Ringers suspended 1 foot under a bobber.

***Notes***
From what I heard from our fellow fisherman the Crappie are finally starting to move shallow. You guys get ready should be getting hot.

Thanks
John Bowman

Thx for the fine report sir. Excellent
Posted By: Holly Billings

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/18/15 07:34 PM

Seems like you did alright for yourself. Mybe when I head out that way I can serch ya out. Got a few other people interested. Do I need to be on the lookout how about on Sunday? welcome

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/20/15 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Mikeyb_23
I haven't seen a gator out the yet, I've seen the sign for them. Do they stay up around the nature center? I haven't made it up that far yet, looks like a lot of stumps everywhere.

I have a buddy that noodles in lake worth and he was noodling that old boat ramp across from caaino beach when a 4footer ran across his stomach he literally started running on water, lol

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/20/15 06:58 PM

Do the crappie ever leave the docks and go to deeper water? Where would they go for deep water? I've barely seen over 10ft water.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/25/15 08:59 AM

Anybody had luck lately? I'm thinking about giving it a try this morning.
Posted By: fish tracker

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/28/15 09:35 AM

crappie are shallow and deep as much as 8ft. i fished under docks and caught some shallow and mainly deep. the rain has them scattered. Sunday i brought home 16 keepers. sat only 5.
best color i was using the white body and red or pink head. or chartreuse body. an most important of all crappie nibbles.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/28/15 09:11 PM

16..that's a pretty good haul. Congrats. I'm hoping to get out there over the weekend. Hopefully I can find some. Did any of the fish you caught still have eggs, or were they all males, or spawned out? Just curious.
Posted By: fish tracker

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/28/15 10:20 PM

some had eggs and some were empty. very few males.

Re: Lake worth crappie? - 04/29/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: fish tracker
crappie are shallow and deep as much as 8ft. i fished under docks and caught some shallow and mainly deep. the rain has them scattered. Sunday i brought home 16 keepers. sat only 5.
best color i was using the white body and red or pink head. or chartreuse body. an most important of all crappie nibbles.

That sounds like a great day, I wouldn't mind 5 keepers. I got up to 4 one day. Still trying to learn the lake though. Great job
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum