Texas Fishing Forum

Just need to know

Posted By: smove

Just need to know - 03/17/15 09:07 PM

Okay, I went fishing this weekend and caught a few nice SLABS, and I noticed as I was filleting them that I would see these spots in the fillets. The first couple weren't so bad maybe one or two spots so I really didn't pay close attention. Then I started seeing fillets with more and more spots (6-7). I was curious to see what it was, so I just stuck the tip of my fillet knife into one and out comes this lil ball of worms (tiny red worm but LONG). I did this to every spot that I saw and it was worm after worm in almost every fish. Now I've seen worms like this before, but it would be around the eyes of the fish or in the stomach, but never in the flesh like this.

So, I just need to know if any of you guys see this on a regular basis, and if so do you still eat the fish or what??
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 09:13 PM

Which lake? My guess is put them in the freezer and eat them. I am sure hot oil will make them good to eat. Just a little added protein!
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 09:28 PM

It might be safe to eat them but I would not eat them myself. 2cents
Posted By: FavPastTime

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 09:45 PM

Hmm I've never seen that so I will be curious to hear what everyone else has to say...
Posted By: Jig'nJerk'n

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 09:58 PM

Do you have pics of it
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 10:18 PM

I've seen a video of that here about a month or so ago. I don't which lake or lakes that you found them in or what lake was in the video. I don't know what they are but I'm not eating them. I'd hate to catch and clean a bunch of crappie to only find out they have worms and to throw the fillets away.
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 10:21 PM

This should be a link to the video that I saw a while back. I sure hope I don't find any crappie with these worms in them but I definitely will be checking every fillet from now on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwGPA6C81Y
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Just need to know - 03/17/15 10:46 PM

I caught some a few years back out of a lake surrounded by cat tails . A biologist told me they are common in the fish in that lake because of the cat tails. He also said they were ok to eat if fried.

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 02:47 AM

This video, is exactly what I'm talking about. I did take pics but my phone is broken so I cant post them, but the video is exactly what I experience.

I did some research and from what I found is that it's a parasite that the fish get from bird dropping. Says they are harmless as long as the fish is fried above 140 degrees. The area I was fishing did have a lot of birds/ducks in the area, so I can understand that. It's just the idea of know what was pulled out. I think I'm gonna have to toss these two bags...
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 02:51 AM

Did you say lots of ducks??!?!?! What lake/location/gps coordinates?

grin
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
It might be safe to eat them but I would not eat them myself. 2cents

Think I'd pass on these filets too!
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 03:57 AM

protein lol . banana
Posted By: fridays86

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 05:41 AM

Just cut them out and clean the area and all is good. They have not ruined the rest of the meat!
Posted By: daman

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 11:58 AM

grease will kill it
Posted By: sac-a-lait me

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 12:08 PM

Those parasites, although unsightly, have no health risks for human consumption. Like others have said cut out the bad area and fry them bad boys up. You've eaten parasites already you just didn't see them.......

Re: Just need to know - 03/18/15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: sac-a-lait me
Those parasites, although unsightly, have no health risks for human consumption. Like others have said cut out the bad area and fry them bad boys up. You've eaten parasites already you just didn't see them.......

Probably so, but I just threw 2 gallons of fillets away because of this. I probably would have kept them if it were only 1 or 2 per fish, but I'm talking about 5-6 per FILLET, 10-12 per fish.
Posted By: FavPastTime

Re: Just need to know - 03/19/15 01:06 AM

What lake was it?
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Just need to know - 03/19/15 01:13 AM

A couple of the fish I cleaned today had the little red thread worms. I just cut them out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum