Texas Fishing Forum

Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?)

Posted By: Slabrador Retriever

Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 04:58 AM

I thought a previous post by Tommy Ezell successfully highlighted the mood(s)regarding many on this forum. With that being said, I propose that maybe we work towards a solution to the perceived problems. The awesome thing about a format like this is that change is well within our control. I believe that change starts with an honest "self assessment" first. In my humblest opinion, I think that there are many times where "we" forget to value and appreciate the differences in each other. The reality is that this forum consist of thousands of individuals who are all unique and different in some way or another (whether it be personality types, posting styles, sense of humor, disclosure preferences, knowledge/expertise levels, culture, religious background, fishing styles, levels of education, upbringing, etc.)which simply means that it's highly probable for us to see or hear things that are completely opposite of us. That's ok (within reason). It's humanly for us to want others to conform to our way but the truth is..... our way of doing things is not the "only" way of doing things. That's the sheer beauty of creation. If by chance someone offends, communicate respectfully with that person and see if there is an opportunity to move forward without ill will. Starting with me, I want to allow optimism to fuel my steps into tomorrow and I wanna work on better valuing other's differences. I believe that if we can collectively do that with "consistency", this forum can be all that each person wants it to be. Am I being unrealistic? With all these great individuals....I don't think so. Well that's my 2 cents worth. What thing(s)do you feel we can collectively work on to restore or continue moving forward?

I started a new thread because I realize that many that posted on the "Expectations for Fishing Forum" will not read through that thread again and I would sincerely love some feedback from everyone(including those that don't post anymore). I'm a solutions kinda guy once a problem/concern has been identified. Ever hopeful for better days!!
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 06:41 AM

RESPECT
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Slabrador Retriever
I thought a previous post by Tommy Ezell successfully highlighted the mood(s)regarding many on this forum. With that being said, I propose that maybe we work towards a solution to the perceived problems.

I SEE NO PROBLEM!

I find that if you just enjoy what you have and don't nick-pick it to pieces, you will not worry about what you have and just enjoy it ..... but I am ALWAYS happy with what I have!!!!

I find enjoyment in almost all posts .... even this one!

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: ACAMS
I SEE NO PROBLEM!

I find that if you just enjoy what you have and don't nick-pick it to pieces, you will not worry about what you have and just enjoy it ..... but I am ALWAYS happy with what I have!!!!

I find enjoyment in almost all posts .... even this one!

I can appreciate your approach ACAMS

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: scruboak
RESPECT

Thank you for chiming in scruboak.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 08:46 AM

Well Said my brother! I've only met you once or twice but I knew right off that you were a kindred spirit! I look at some of the posts (sometimes a single post is nearly a thread in itself) that I've heard others take exception to & I just leave it alone. This is an open forum with fairly relaxed rules which is what most like about it. On a personal note, I have read posts from 1 or 2 individuals that kinda bent me the wrong way but since have met those individuals and realized, just as you stated, the Good Lord made each of us unique and though someone's humor or writing style may not be my cup o tea, the individual's are just plain folks & I've actually made new friends in the process. So, my 2cents is LIVE & LET LIVE!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 09:33 AM

I mainly target Bluegill/Sunfish. Just started Crappie fishing a couple of years ago. The instructional information I have gained here in this section has really helped me out. There are a lot of good anglers who post here and I have always enjoyed reading their post and looking at their catches. I have also seen in this forum on numerous occasions people helping people through some very difficult times in their personal life. This along with the love of fishing and the outdoors is the TRUE CHARACTER OF THIS FORUM. I have enjoyed being a member and plan on being here for awhile if the good Lord allows it.

Side Note: Time to go fishing! fish
Posted By: plateboater

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 10:51 AM

Here to learn from others and remain as humble as possible.
popcorn
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 11:31 AM

I've learned to type a post, read it, and then decide to not post it at all and erase it. Just not worth it. Like Ernest said it is a nice place to visit. Carry on.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 01:31 PM

interesting scenario for sure Kyron , how do we move on ?
it would seem to me in many cases and I try to myself ,
to avoid some of the members that we disagree with on whatever level or do not like for whatever reason .
I met an individual yesterday that I don't know
he and the rest of us were NOT getting bites bang
when one of my friends shows up
he tells him ,,,,he has been there 2.5 hours and caught one fish
then he says but that guy over there ....ie ME ....
he keeps on talking about ketchn fish
he is the eternal optimist !
he is the reason we are all still here roflmao
the one thing that really matters in the end . and for sure this applies to all individuals
is that we enjoy the time and the opportunity to escape the reality of the everyday responsibilities thumb
so in closing my post on this subject I would say this to all
I remain optimistic that someday we all realize the importance of being different
and with that the importance to leave well enough alone as well
and BTW hope ya dont mind a lil .....
KABOOM
lizard
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: pepop
Well Said my brother! I've only met you once or twice but I knew right off that you were a kindred spirit! I look at some of the posts (sometimes a single post is nearly a thread in itself) that I've heard others take exception to & I just leave it alone. This is an open forum with fairly relaxed rules which is what most like about it. On a personal note, I have read posts from 1 or 2 individuals that kinda bent me the wrong way but since have met those individuals and realized, just as you stated, the Good Lord made each of us unique and though someone's humor or writing style may not be my cup o tea, the individual's are just plain folks & I've actually made new friends in the process. So, my 2cents is LIVE & LET LIVE!

Well said Pepop. I like the open forum. Read and move on. If U don't like what you read...don't go back. I have met a few and became friends. Just enjoy the success or failure of the post. We all can learn something new.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1
I've learned to type a post, read it, and then decide to not post it at all and erase it. Just not worth it. Like Ernest said it is a nice place to visit. Carry on.

Wise advise here! I sometimes do the same! BUT, I always feel better for having typed it AND not shared it!!! smile I guess I missed the thread that started this thread! Obviously, I just don't spend enuf time on these forums! smile smile smile
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 01:55 PM

I have been a part of many forums about many hobbies and subjects over the years. many of them are great places to hang out for years.This one here is by far the most successful.

Why mess with perfection?

every forum needs good guys, villians, and when you mix in a few profesional trolls, you have found the perfect world. There is a reason why this is the most interesting and well run forum that I know of. If everyone was the same, had the same demeanor, It wouldnt be as fun.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 02:28 PM

As a new member, I am overwhelmed with the amount of info offered here, and am very thankful to be a tiny part of it! IMHO - respect and have fun should be/are a big part of this forum! smile
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 02:45 PM

Treat each other with respect. It is OK to disagree with other members but the disagreement should be done in a respectful manner.

Don't start threads whose only purpose is to humiliate other member.

Don't make posts that constantly attack another member.

If you dislike other member then don't post in their threads.

Treat other members the way you would like to be treated.

I know saying treat each other with respect should be enough to cover the above points but sadly it hasn't been.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 03:26 PM

One thing that has gotten a little out of control in the crappie forum is advertisements. So far we haven't seen a need for a plugs & announcements forum like we have in the bass forum. I think it's a good thing to be introduced to new products or services, but once you have introduced us, don't beat us to death by plugging it every time you make a post. We are very liberal about what you can have in your signature. Put info about your product there and a link to your web site. If you are having a sale, you are welcome to promote it through your signature. That way your product will be promoted every time you make a post and you don't have to think about how you can slip a plug in to the content of a conversation on the forum.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDave1
Originally Posted By: Bobcat1

Wise advise here! I sometimes do the same! BUT, I always feel better for having typed it AND not shared it!!! smile I guess I missed the thread that started this thread! Obviously, I just don't spend enuf time on these forums! smile smile smile

thats very wise, the very reason I dont tweet , as sometimes our first emotional thoughts are really an improper response., many people put thier foot in thier mouth tweeting.
Posted By: Peter L.

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 03:34 PM

All have made valid points. Me personally, I'm new to this crappie thing. I've only been doing it now for three month's total. I'm a tournament bass fishermen and bluegill chaser. So, in no way am I an expert. I have asked for help numerous times on here and some have gone out of their way and helped. While others( mainly the ones thats always posting limits of crappie and showing off) won't even lift a finger to point you in the right direction but most of the time they are the ones broken down on the lake and individuals like myself tow them in( I strongly believe in helping others). I don't want your waypoints or favorite spots, just general info and that's always like pulling teeth to say the least. However, it's not my job to exact revenge on those individuals but the good Lord is always watching. This has been a great forum but the occasional knuckle heads are always out and pretend to be role models when it's the opposite. You reap what you sow. Other than that, tight lines and good fishing to all.

Peter L.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 04:04 PM

I used two fishing forums while I lived in Chicago. The mods of one of the sites did not police enough, became a b*** board and eventually lost a lot of valued members to the other site (myself being one of them). It was pretty annoying.

The other site was better regulated and the "trouble" posters either were temporarily suspended or had their IP address permanently blocked. Very little BS.

Overall, from my little experience here, I think TFF is a well managed and enjoyable site. Sure there will be a few bad apples, but don't take their comments too personally.
Posted By: Kingcarl

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 04:14 PM

I'm new to crappie fishing and do not yet own a boat but I read this forum religiously. I'm a very thorough person and extensively study everything I do. I have learned so much in a very short time from reading here. I have always been a bass fisherman but was looking for a more family friendly angling opportunity since I have a 10 month old and another one on the way. With three girls and myself in the house I needed something fast paced with lots of action to keep them interested and want to spend a little time with dad. I think the best piece of advice I recieved was to go out with a guide to learn the ropes. So I booked a trip with Lane to get a taste and he was amazing which further fueled my drive to learn to catch these awesome fish. I'm also amazed by the amount of crappie you people are catching and love reading the reports. I would like to say thank you all for the knowledge and at times the humor!

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: pepop
So, my 2cents is LIVE & LET LIVE!

Absolutely Pepop!!

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
One thing that has gotten a little out of control in the crappie forum is advertisements. So far we haven't seen a need for a plugs & announcements forum like we have in the bass forum. I think it's a good thing to be introduced to new products or services, but once you have introduced us, don't beat us to death by plugging it every time you make a post. We are very liberal about what you can have in your signature. Put info about your product there and a link to your web site. If you are having a sale, you are welcome to promote it through your signature. That way your product will be promoted every time you make a post and you don't have to think about how you can slip a plug in to the content of a conversation on the forum.

I think I speak for most of us if not all us in thanking you for having the forum available J.P. I've surely made some lifetime friends by way of it. Your input is certainly worth the consideration.

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Ketchn

I remain optimistic that someday we all realize the importance of being different
and with that the importance to leave well enough alone as well
and BTW hope ya dont mind a lil .....
KABOOM
lizard

Me too Mark
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 06:32 PM

Thanks for the thread Kyron. Some great comments here and thanks to all. I'm going to do my best to practice this:
1) treat others respectfully with honesty
2) dump the ego at log in
3) while trying to type what I want to say, figure out what not to say
fish
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 08:29 PM

mama said if it aint broke dont fix it.
Posted By: DaveB

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/02/15 09:29 PM

Been here for quite some time. Have noticed folks now post up with their catches but no details as to how they caught them. I am guilty of that as well. A lot of fishermen post during the spawn due to that is the only time they can fish to catch crappie with a minner and a bobber.
Understand that. Crappie are fabulous to eat.

We call them spawners on our little website www.grangergang.com (Sorry J.P.)that was created for Granger Lake fishermen/women. They want to join our forum just to find out when the fish are biting and do not provide any input that helps our members to catch fish. Looking for a free ride to the bite. The admins of this site delete members who fail to introduce themselves or provide any input within 7 days of their registration. May work for the TFF as well. My 2 cents.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/03/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Kingcarl
I'm new to crappie fishing and do not yet own a boat but I read this forum religiously. I'm a very thorough person and extensively study everything I do. I have learned so much in a very short time from reading here. I have always been a bass fisherman but was looking for a more family friendly angling opportunity since I have a 10 month old and another one on the way. With three girls and myself in the house I needed something fast paced with lots of action to keep them interested and want to spend a little time with dad. I think the best piece of advice I recieved was to go out with a guide to learn the ropes. So I booked a trip with Lane to get a taste and he was amazing which further fueled my drive to learn to catch these awesome fish. I'm also amazed by the amount of crappie you people are catching and love reading the reports. I would like to say thank you all for the knowledge and at times the humor!

welcome

Are you by chance an engineer? Sounds like we have a lot in common, except the three girls! I've only got two! Anyway, glad you got here! Which lake do you fish the most? Closest one?
Posted By: whiskerfrisker

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/03/15 04:57 AM

This forum is amazing and I love the "brotherhood" feeling mostly portrayed here. I mostly fished for cats, but the last year I have been dealing with some health issues and haven't been able to get out on the Jon boat, so my interest has shifted to bank fishing when I can get to it and the majority of my catch has been sunfish. Iv gained a lot of knowledge from this forum and wish I had the means to contribute more to it. In the past I have been a part of many different sportsman forums and this one is hands down the best. Yes sometimes people get out of hand and upset each other, but that's a part of life, the sad part about that is it happens too often and people take it to heart when they shouldnt. Everyone is different and there isn't anything anyone can do about that fact, except accept it. Like it was mentioned earlier on this thread, LIVE & LET LIVE! Tight lines everyone.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/03/15 05:07 AM

J.P. is a good guy with a big heart and he upgrades servers and provides this free cause he is a sportsman also. He also has charities he supports and tries to get people to band together for the cause. With all that said enjoy the gift he provides and make the most of it. I guess what I am saying if it is giving to you make the best of it we all bleed red, and leave your attitudes someplace else. There is a wealth of info to be had here if you just treat people like they deserve to be treated. I am off my box now.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Humbly Submitted (How do we move forward?) - 03/03/15 06:31 AM

Life is too short. Enjoy when we still can!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum