Texas Fishing Forum

Expectations for Fishing Forum

Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 02:56 PM

What do you think the most important thing on a fishing forum should be? Why do you think anglers check a fishing forum?
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:05 PM

interesting question
cant wait to see the responses thumb
Posted By: marktx

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:06 PM

I think it depends on the person. Some are looking to sale or buy and others looking for local reports. Some on here in the OT don't even fish. Myself is for reports,sale buy things and knowledge of different places and technique s

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:08 PM

Thanks for sharing Mark.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:12 PM

I come on here to get reports and muck it up with my old buddies. A lot of them aren't on here anymore or at least don't post anymore. I also think this is the best place to come to find new jigs/products. The TFF guys make some really high quality stuff.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:17 PM

Respectful, and possibly entertaining, exchange of knowledge and information. I also appreciate the friendships I've made here.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:19 PM

Same thing people used to get at ole time boat dock. You know, the place where they rented a boat for $20 and sold minners for 50 cents a dozen.

Are they bitin?

What are they bitin on?

Where are they at?

If you watch this forum you can get all those answers.
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:19 PM

My expectations fall short! I just browse it usually because im bored and cant fish like days like today. Very little useful information with REALLY big egos! But it passes the time and gives me a laugh every now and then.
Posted By: fishon!

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:21 PM

I've gotten to much information to list, it all has equalled a increase in may catch. Keep it coming!
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: AggieKenny
Respectful, and possibly entertaining, exchange of knowledge and information. I also appreciate the friendships I've made here.

I go along with this one too
Posted By: rbadley

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:28 PM

The forum used to be much more beneficial as information was actually shared. Today there are too many jokers on here that have made people feel less welcomed to share info. People always are so critical these days. I've met some good guys from this forum on on the water or at the ramp thru the years. It's become more about entertainment it seems these days.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:35 PM

The information, the back and forth between TFF buddies, sometimes highly entertaining; trying to decipher the "inside" banter, and the fireworks that erupt when a controversial TFF'er, you know, the ones with the "bullseye" painted on their backs, drop in to post! Extremely entertaining at times!

And finally making heads or tails of Ketchn's (my favorites!)postings.

Rudy
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76
I come on here to get reports and muck it up with my old buddies. A lot of them aren't on here anymore or at least don't post anymore. I also think this is the best place to come to find new jigs/products. The TFF guys make some really high quality stuff.
this
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:51 PM

The TFF is NOT what it used to be, expectations have changed as a result.
10-12 years ago when the TFF was just getting going, it was a great place to exchange input and information.
It's just not the same as it used to be. As a result, some of the absolute best contributors from the past have quit posting.
Don't get me wrong, there are still some great guys on here. It's just not what it used to be.
Now a days, I expect to share a few pics and reports after I sift through a bunch of posts trying to sell stuff.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:52 PM

What I see. Awesome fisherman that don't give reports anymore. If you guys only knew. I'm sure some do know. Kind of like what you don't know can't hurt you. Well it bugs me a bit to have all this information I see and learn from never being shared.

I believe first and foremost a fishing forum should be full of "Fishing Reports". Marketing should be in said fishing reports and finding like minded people to fish with is always a plus.

What I see happening here. Not picking on anyone just saying what I think.

When the number of posts are covented more than the integrity of information in said post we have a huge issue. Those that have IMHO pricless information don't want to be associated with fun and games. So they don't post. I'm telling y'all this blows.

Thanks all that are sharing. Good info.

Posted By: Mac817

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 03:57 PM

Since I work 6-7 days a week, I come here for information, the bonus is there are people I would like to meet in person to learn more about them and their techniques.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:18 PM

i have always thought the crappie section had rules for posting reports with general information, lake,depth,color along with your catch if you chose, i did not know the rules changed to deception and entertainment
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:19 PM

Work has changed so I don't post as much anymore. I agree with Stucky about getting info on what where and how. Mucking it up with old friends is done mostly on the cell phones or emails since most of them quit posting 2-3 years back.

Plus I sold my boat so I know nothing anymore. One of my young friends said you have a boat and never take it out. Such a smart young man. Of course at that time even gasoline was a problem and he didn't know that.

Today when I check in I see way too much self promotion. Hard to glean through all the bull feces to get real info.
Posted By: CrappieTX

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:25 PM

I personally get on here for product and pics. I find this more informative than a CAT meeting I went to. This CAT meeting I went to, all I learned was who doesn't like who for whatever reason. It was a guide and TFF member bash for me. That's why I won't join. Sometimes it gets that way on here as well. No one knows 100% the life of a crappie. I do see guys getting pissed about it by pleading their cases and don't see them on here anymore. I've been reading this forum for about 10 years and have been a member since 2007. There is a definite decline in information and interest in that time frame.
My 2 cents
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:30 PM

Only been on the site about a year or so. Just got back into fishing after a 30+ year hiatus (getting a job, career, married, kids, etc.).

I came here / come here to:

1. 'Re-learn' stuff I have long forgotten about fishing. Also to learn new techniques and tools that are in use today (e.g., lures, line, rods, reels, terminal tackle, etc.).

2. Learn more about the fishing spots I currently live close to, but have never fished before last year.

3. Learn about the seasonality of the fishing cycles in my area.

4. Make a few friends..hopefully some to fish with. Unfortunately, my family doesn't have the fishing bug that I have, so I need to find others that share my interest and enthusiasm in the sport.

5. Humor and fellowship. I've seen some negative, attack-oriented posts on both the bass forum and the crappie forum lately. I have no time for those people. Let them be miserable without me. I just move on when I can, and keep it positive, and friendly.

6. Share what I've learned with others. Granted, I don't know much, but I am happy to share what I do know. I really enjoy taking time to help out folks fishing next to me who are struggling, and I get a real kick out of seeing the looks on people's faces when their poles bend down after I've given them some tips, or perhaps a lure that I know will work. I wish more folks on the forum were more open about fishing spots, but I understand why somebody who's found a honey hole doesn't want 100 people showing up the day after they shared information about a good spot. I get it. I think I like to share just as much as a like to fish.

7. (Just because 7's a lucky number) Have Fun! fish

Scott in a Flower Mound
Posted By: joser

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:41 PM

I beleive you get what you put into it,sometimes you have to read between the lines, nobody wants to give up there honey holes, but fishing stories are just that, but my main objective is to achieve knowledge from others, I always learn something new, weather its the newest baits or great tips, plus I think there some plain fun people on this forum who really enjoy what they do, thats why I'm here keep it coming
Posted By: Trendsetter1

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:43 PM

I love to learn and help other out that is why I check it . I have seen some very funny and good stuff come from the texas fishing fourm. The first thing I do now when I make it home is read the fishing fourm then take a shower. bouncy

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 04:49 PM

The over all opinion seems to reflect many are content with the knowledge shared. That's the info I was looking for. Thanks to all that are sharing their views.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:07 PM

show off, learn, burn free time on bad weather day, make friends, buy & sale.
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:13 PM

Perfect Nuff said cheers
Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Same thing people used to get at ole time boat dock. You know, the place where they rented a boat for $20 and sold minners for 50 cents a dozen.

Are they bitin?

What are they bitin on?

Where are they at?

Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1
Today when I check in I see way too much self promotion. Hard to glean through all the bull feces to get real info.

Bobby and I have agreed on more than one issue over the years and this one is no exception.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1
Work has changed so I don't post as much anymore. I agree with Stucky about getting info on what where and how. Mucking it up with old friends is done mostly on the cell phones or emails since most of them quit posting 2-3 years back.

Plus I sold my boat so I know nothing anymore. One of my young friends said you have a boat and never take it out. Such a smart young man. Of course at that time even gasoline was a problem and he didn't know that.

Amen to that last sentence!!! wink
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:33 PM

Reports with general information of lake, depth found, type of habitat found, type of bait used, color and type of lure if lure used, time of day caught. In general information that would help other members learn to find the crappie. In my opinion, any report that does not contain the lake and information of how the crappie is caught isn't worth much to the membership.

This does not mean you need to give the gps coordinates of honey holes but you should state where found (brush piles, bridge pillars, shallow water close to bank, trolling, etc).

Currently Crappie Forum contains too many threads that belong in the Off Topic forum, too many negative posts against members. It is possible to disagree with another member about techniques or facts without making negative comments about the member or making fun of the member.

Each of us should concentrate more on helping other members become better crappie catchers, to whatever degree we can do so. Some will know more, some will know less, but in the end we can all learn from each other if we did this.

I realize I'm probably dreaming but this is what I expected when I joined this board.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:35 PM

A learning experience.
If not, why bother?

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:45 PM

Exactly my opinion. Always well spoken sir.

Here's typically what I post in a place I know it'll help and will not be negatively responded to.

Lake Tawokani Report

Now that the tourney is over I figure I can share what I found. We caught nice fish throughout prefish but the wind and mother nature beat us on tourney day.

We caught fish from the dam to the bridge. Fish caught on the dam were caught just off the bottom in 25 - 35'. Fish off the creek channel where suspended at 25' and the fish caught at the bridge were suspended 3' off the bottom near the creek channels.

As it warmed a few days we decided to look shallow. First drop another 2# fish gave it up in 6' of water. After this northern blows through there will be a hard push into the shallows. Focus on banks with sand shoreline.

Fish seemed to prefer white pearl or neon green Bonehead "Stump Bugs". I had tandem jigs set 2' apart while fishing bridge columns and deep timber.

I hope this helps for anyone wanting to fish it soon. The next time we have a couple of warm days it'll be on at Twak. The lake is low. I launched from all three open ramps recently so if there are any questions just ask.

Had a blast on Tawokani with good friends.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
Exactly my opinion. Always well spoken sir.

Here's typically what I post in a place I know it'll help and will not be negatively responded to.

Lake Tawokani Report

Now that the tourney is over I figure I can share what I found. We caught nice fish throughout prefish but the wind and mother nature beat us on tourney day.

We caught fish from the dam to the bridge. Fish caught on the dam were caught just off the bottom in 25 - 35'. Fish off the creek channel where suspended at 25' and the fish caught at the bridge were suspended 3' off the bottom near the creek channels.

As it warmed a few days we decided to look shallow. First drop another 2# fish gave it up in 6' of water. After this northern blows through there will be a hard push into the shallows. Focus on banks with sand shoreline.

Fish seemed to prefer white pearl or neon green Bonehead "Stump Bugs". I had tandem jigs set 2' apart while fishing bridge columns and deep timber.

I hope this helps for anyone wanting to fish it soon. The next time we have a couple of warm days it'll be on at Twak. The lake is low. I launched from all three open ramps recently so if there are any questions just ask.

Had a blast on Tawokani with good friends.

For the love of crappie info, please do not post that place you post this info on here.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 05:59 PM

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 06:38 PM

The reason for this thread for me was to find out the opinions of others and if they were content with the information provided or if they were growing as anglers. It seems many are content. I'm however left unsatisfied. I understand the forum wasn't made to fit my needs. Now that I understand the needs are being met of others I intend to find something that fits my expectations a bit better. That's all. No biggie.

I appreciate all that gave their opinion.

To the gentleman that had the bad CAT experience. My time with CAT has been pretty darn good. I'm not sure what happened at the meeting you attended but I'd like to invite you to meet me at another meeting if you'd like? There is sharing going on as detailed as my report above. CAT has definitely made me a better fisherman.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 06:41 PM

I prefer knowledge based threads.... Lake reports, tackle/equipment reviews. I do like pictures also, pictures of people having a good time with friends and family, kids, big crappie, (special moments I guess that I would consider pic worthy). This is very opinionated post by the way. I can normally scroll to or past the threads that I think are what im looking for by the poster or subject. Most of the threads I post are question based and I always get great responses from good guys.
Posted By: cellis

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 07:17 PM

I don't remember a hard and fast rule about sharing information about fishing trips, but there was a sort of gentleman's agreement about sharing, lake, depth, lure, conditions and that sort of thing in a straightforward manner, like Tommy's post above. That used to happen regularly. Some people still share that way, but you might have to sift through a lot of threads to find it.
Posted By: texsam

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 07:23 PM

tommy;s post is the type of info I sighed up for.Iam not going to pull my boat out of cedar creek and run totawok,
but I will try do the prep, and ability to adjust to my fishing . no lake x depth y bait z selfies
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 08:00 PM

I really don't post too much anymore, especially on my fishing trips.. It seems like there are more people expecting you to tell you exactly where you caught your fish then it used to. I understand about sharing info about dept etc but if the fisherman wants to keep his honey hole a secret you should respect that...
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 08:25 PM

I used to post on this forum quite a bit... and I have met some great people over the years, and learned a great deal of information about how to fish for Crappie. I'm sure there are others who I would be honored to meet and fish with...BUT..
I have gotten where I don't like to read it so much any more... because of all of the silliness that goes on...
I have heard the same from quite a few of my buddies as well...
When I do get on here... I pick through what I want to read... and the rest gets ignored.
Sometimes though... It's hard to ignore it... when it's every other post.
I have found other places and people to get the information I would like to see.... OH well...S.H.'s
There is no reason to post anymore... If i want a comedy show... I'll turn on the TV.
I do still read the jig-tying forum quite a bit... so I can keep up with the trends...Those guys are straight forward...with not much Bull Dookie!
Posted By: SK.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 08:26 PM

Ha, interesting subject....
Most of y'all fish lakes north of where I fish, there's another board I visit frequently & like some here use to post lots & lots of info.
That came to a halt for me when I had folks that only read the info on that board, decided "hey he's catchn lotsa crappie lets follow him", those folks don't give anything don't even make any post just go there to try'n find "spots" to fish or should I say toss there anchor & set out their corks (nothin against minner chasers) but then when I go to fish that spot guess what they are anchored up there. Few times them fishn that structure their anchor breaks the structure up then it's not worth fishn.
I had a few guys around me just yestdy same area guess what they caught aahh few I caught a limit plus, I say that cause "spots" is not the only thing it takes to put fish in the boat.
I'm very open to help anyone either through pm's or on the lake at least speak before you want to get beside me & yes most don't!
That's one kinda bent pole fisherman, then you have the one that does speak, saves everywhere he sees you on his gps, may go there & catch a few then post his catch along with almost giving tha gps cords in his post on the www. Guess what strike those spots off your list too!
Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way but this subject has been discussed several times on the other board I'm on.
The reason I participant on these boards is I love's talkn bout fishn & huntn....
We can do that without gps cords!!! cheers
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Squeaky
I used to post on this forum quite a bit... and I have met some great people over the years, and learned a great deal of information about how to fish for Crappie. I'm sure there are others who I would be honored to meet and fish with...BUT..
I have gotten where I don't like to read it so much any more... because of all of the silliness that goes on...
When I do get on here... I pick through what I want to read... and the rest gets ignored.
I have found other places and people to get the information I would like to see.... OH well...S.H.'s
There is no reason to post anymore... If i want a comedy show... I'll turn on the TV.
I do still read the jig-tying forum quite a bit... so I can keep up with the trends...Those guys are straight forward...with not much Bull Dookie!

+1 thumb
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 09:15 PM

Local reports and useful product information. Have not been a member long but have been reading this forum for quite a while. I feel like the information I have picked up on this site has been time well spent. I tend to spend my time on the water trying to pull crappie out of standing timber on raybob so I never paid as much attention to gps cords as I do water depth and general areas of the lake. More than happy to share info.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 09:31 PM

I wish somebody to post "IT IS ON" about LL.

I have had a positive experience at CAT, never heard anything negative. The ride along at Fork, and the recent extravaganza were the best. I am by nature quiet which I am sure is sometimes seen as being unfriendly, and I used to work an awful schedule. I have been on guided trips with two who post on here, and both times it was a productive, learning experience each time. I do not expect detailed reports on here. I hope to be helpful with my posts in the future when I get this electronics thing down. And,

While I'm wishing I would like CC to fill up so I can go dock shooting.

David
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 09:33 PM

I honestly don't care if someone doesn't tell the lake. I really don't blame them. Back when there were 10,000 members it wasn't as big of a deal now that it's closing in on 100k members plus all the lurkers. It is nice to hear about depth, baits, structures etc though.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 09:50 PM

I think fishing techniques would be big. Maybe to take the way 4-5 fishmen, and use what you think is best of their ways. I don't any of us has it all right.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin

Are they bitin?

What are they bitin on?

Where are they at?

+1
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Squeaky

I don't mind clowning around a bit.....but the information from reliable source is very far and few between. Nothing like the old forum. I think a ton of folks feel the same. I used to post quite a bit....but not anymore. But I have plenty to keep me busy and I still catch my far share.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 10:08 PM

I have been using the forum for 10yrs.I was a novice I read and read and pmed got a lot of help .I have invited most everyone to come and fish with me and they did then they invited me to come fish with them.That's how I met the greatest men and learned so much .They all became great friends.When the bites on at there lake they call as do I.I never mark there holes unless they tell me to and never share them .Theres just to much time ,money, effort to let others freely have the cords.I have had guys stay with me at my house or at a cabin on the lake I have never seen face to face.All have become friends for life.All lakes are not the same by no means.But location location and then presation,be on point like a birddog and pay attention to everything get bit and repeat.And yes. I love to jack with folks.I worked with 300 miners everyday and night for 30 yrs it comes natural Ha Ok I'm through Darrell
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 10:09 PM

I come here to relax and read about others success or failures. Share knowledge and experiences, find out what is working and what isn't. But I like having a good time too, and will continue until the moderators tell me other wise. If it gets to that point, there are other forums. And by the way those guys are doing an excellent job managing this site, it ain't easy a big THANK YOU to them. I really enjoy the jig tying section. Made some friends there, we have met, tyed jigs, had a drink r two cooked a steak and fished together. And looking forward to the next time. Everything changes, and like it or not the Crappie Section is what we make it. One last thing, if ya don't wanta give me the coords. of your favorite fishin hole, its OK... I still enjoy the hunt!
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 10:12 PM

I like to help new guys because I know this forum helped me a bunch when I started.

I'll post almost every time I fish not only for you guys or to brag but I use it as a fishing journal that I can go back and refer to.

I like hearing about new products and techniques.

I just enjoy soaking up any knowledge that the old timers have that can help me shorten the learning curve.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/01/15 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
Reports with general information of lake, depth found, type of habitat found, type of bait used, color and type of lure if lure used, time of day caught. In general information that would help other members learn to find the crappie. In my opinion, any report that does not contain the lake and information of how the crappie is caught isn't worth much to the membership.

This does not mean you need to give the gps coordinates of honey holes but you should state where found (brush piles, bridge pillars, shallow water close to bank, trolling, etc).

Currently Crappie Forum contains too many threads that belong in the Off Topic forum, too many negative posts against members. It is possible to disagree with another member about techniques or facts without making negative comments about the member or making fun of the member.

Each of us should concentrate more on helping other members become better crappie catchers, to whatever degree we can do so. Some will know more, some will know less, but in the end we can all learn from each other if we did this.

I realize I'm probably dreaming but this is what I expected when I joined this board.

Well said sir. thumb
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 12:28 AM

I like the reports and tackle or technique discussions best. There were lots of obnoxious regulars here in 2003 when I first showed up, and there are now. Such is life. I do now, and have always had a tendency to get bent out of shape about bullsh that gets posted. My first instinct is to respond and argue to try and counter the bullsh, but I learned a long time ago that that just leads to a lot of arguing, and too much conflict for a forum to remain fun.

So, since I rejoined the forum in 2010, I've done a better job of not responding to bullsh. I try to post good, informative reports, and have conversations with good crappie anglers here that help both them and myself. My biggest disappointment is the lack of information in reports. Not only do many not tell what lake, I know of a few where the poster actually lied about what lake the fish were caught from. That blew me away.

I don't respond to report posts that don't include a lake. It's just a personal peeve of mine. It's also still aggravating to me that a forum which I frequent contains so much bullsh that any new member has to spend a lot of time to figure out which posters give good information and which ones don't, but that's just the way it is, so to all you new folks: keep that in mind.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76

Plus #1. Also love seeing other angler's catches and just sharing fishing stories,advice,instruction,since of humor,and so on. Also I have met a bunch of TFF members in person and all of em are GREAT! fish
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: rbadley
The forum used to be much more beneficial as information was actually shared. Today there are too many jokers on here that have made people feel less welcomed to share info. People always are so critical these days. I've met some good guys from this forum on on the water or at the ramp thru the years. It's become more about entertainment it seems these days.

If you had not posted abt waco, probably myself and half of the people who fish waco from the belton . killeen, lampasas, temple, gatesville, buda, Granger, areas ect would not even fish that lake today. so for that Im grateful as it is a great place to go hammer some decent fish!!! It was because of your willingness to share, that something good came out of it,. those were the good ole days.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Bud B
I like the reports and tackle or technique discussions best. There were lots of obnoxious regulars here in 2003 when I first showed up, and there are now. Such is life. I do now, and have always had a tendency to get bent out of shape about bullsh that gets posted. My first instinct is to respond and argue to try and counter the bullsh, but I learned a long time ago that that just leads to a lot of arguing, and too much conflict for a forum to remain fun.

So, since I rejoined the forum in 2010, I've done a better job of not responding to bullsh. I try to post good, informative reports, and have conversations with good crappie anglers here that help both them and myself. My biggest disappointment is the lack of information in reports. Not only do many not tell what lake, I know of a few where the poster actually lied about what lake the fish were caught from. That blew me away.

I don't respond to report posts that don't include a lake. It's just a personal peeve of mine. It's also still aggravating to me that a forum which I frequent contains so much bullsh that any new member has to spend a lot of time to figure out which posters give good information and which ones don't, but that's just the way it is, so to all you new folks: keep that in mind.

Bud, well stated!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:52 AM

I have realized that I should believe nothing I read on this forum unless it is in the form of a PM. Most of the posts are people showing off their catch and not giving any information other than they caught a limit. I am thankful that I found the jig tying forum, because they are first class individuals that are willing to share all of their knowledge w/o even being asked. I also blame them for the $$$$$$$ I have spent on making tackle in the last year. If you are making a negative post about another member, I would rather that you just PM them or keep it to yourself.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: CedarCreekWoody
Originally Posted By: Bud B

Bud, well stated!

That's a good outlook. If there are people here who you don't care for or don't like their posting style, don't respond to their posts. If they really bug you, use the "ignore" feature and you will never have to read their posts again.

Having run this forum for 17 years or so now, one thing you always see is the people who don't think it is like it used to be. After year 5 or so, we started seeing it. To a large degree, you see what you are looking for. If you are looking for information, you can find it. If you are looking for controversy, you can find it. If you want argue, you can find an argument. If you are looking for friends, you will find them. I find that most of the time, the forum can be a mirror that reflects your attitude. Come here with a good attitude and most of the time you will get greeted in kind. Come here with a bad attitude and you will find someone with a bad attitude.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 03:17 AM

Well said J. P.,

I expected to find honest fishing reports and didn't expect someone to take shots all day everyday.

I am sure you noticed and understand who.

This is not my fair well post but I am tired of all the unchecked BS.
Posted By: Rangerbobtx

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 03:41 AM

I have been hangin around this forum for a long time. It used to be a fun place, not so much anymore. There used to be so much good info from some of the best crappie anglers around on this forum. Not so much anymore, most of them are gone or just don't post. I met my best fishing partner here and found some long lost friends and made some great new ones. But none of them post anymore.

Too many internet experts out there now days and newbies that want everything handed to them. Nobody wants to put the time in on the water.

But this forum isn't much different from others. I saw the same thing happen on a popular duck hunting site years ago. They are great at first but then the more popular they get the more they go down hill. All the guys with the experience and knowledge that were willing to share just get tired of being taken advantage of.

Too bad; so much lost.

RB

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:19 PM

I would like to say I don't really have any "expectations" from a public internet forum of any kind other than the typically entertaining individuals you find on forums .
we have a "fishing report" forum for those that want a "fishing" report
and i have researched the past on this forum many times
its always been exactly the same thing
folks try to say I changed it
go back and look
you will see it was the way it is WAY before i came onboard
i originally came here to share a little information
we took information and used it ...so i thought i might share some
got bashed right off the bat for lake naming and etc .
so my new approach was to try a new approach
so far the "NEW" approach seems to be right online if you will
and that's all i have to say about that

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:32 PM

Ketchn I don't see why you don't understand. There is a point it's obnoxious and impossible to overlook. I mean the guy that runs the forum posted last night. He had 14,000 posts in 17 years. I believe you both are kneck and kneck and you've been on here for 2.5 years. I'm not trying to be rude but state fact. It's a fishing forum not a personal blog.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Ketchn
I would like to say I don't really have any "expectations" from a public internet forum of any kind other than the typically entertaining individuals you find on forums .

Yes, but keep in mind this is the crappie forum for discussing all aspects of crappie fishing, including reports. If you are in the mood for slapstick, we have an outlet for that as well - the OT.
Posted By: ou.sooner

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:43 PM

There are two forums I read regularly and post occasionally.

Texas Fishing Forum and Texas BBQ Forum.

I really enjoy discussing my hobbies with like minded individuals. I have been introduced to new products and techniques on both of the forums.

I look forward to the pictures submitted by the members.

Personally I have not had a negative experience on either forum. I have walked into a couple of threads that looked like they were headed in the wrong direction and opted not to post.

Good report without general locations are appreciated. If you fish the lake in general you can figure it our. I understand how guys get burned when they post exact locations and get too specific.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:46 PM

I had "NO" idea this was pointing are if it actually is pointing at ketchn.... I'll say this I think his reports is what make this forum, I think he's a great guy, have much fun fishn & shares that in his post.....
I guess to each there own, I see some folks on all forums act as if there post will be viewed by lawyers in some court....
I say this is a fishn forum & whenever I post talkn bout fishn or huntn I'm in a good mood & yes intentionally misspell words in showing I'm having fun....
Ketchn's post are great in my book!!

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:54 PM

brother what makes the world go round is differences
we will all most certainly not like each other for whatever reasons at times
some will in fact even be our enemies at times
don't know why the ones that don't want to share in my adventures have to take it the way they do
but again different days different folks
its ok to take it serious if you want
i understand the guide thing
and the pro thing
it just isn't who i am brother
been pushed to be like that for probably 30 years plus
i go because i want to ....not because i have to
and want to keep it that way thumb
and i post because i want to not because i have to as well
if you get my drift bolt
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Rangerbobtx
I have been hangin around this forum for a long time. It used to be a fun place, not so much anymore. There used to be so much good info from some of the best crappie anglers around on this forum. Not so much anymore, most of them are gone or just don't post. I met my best fishing partner here and found some long lost friends and made some great new ones. But none of them post anymore.

Too many internet experts out there now days and newbies that want everything handed to them. Nobody wants to put the time in on the water.

But this forum isn't much different from others. I saw the same thing happen on a popular duck hunting site years ago. They are great at first but then the more popular they get the more they go down hill. All the guys with the experience and knowledge that were willing to share just get tired of being taken advantage of.

Too bad; so much lost.

RB

I'm sorry but in my opinion it is still a fun place to visit. And occasionally it is a place to learn new methods of chasing crappie as well.

Even through I spend time on other forums I will always read and post in this forum as I find it a fun place to visit, even through some members are lacking in manners in how they treat other members.

If you don't like a person's method of posting it is easy to ignore any threads they create. If you post in a thread where you disagree with what has been said or the method of posting, it is easy to make your disagreement in a respectful manner.

The golden rule of forums is to treat other members as you would like to be treated in your posts. I'm not saying don't disagree with them, I'm simply saying show some respect with your disagreement.
Posted By: etu

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 03:04 PM

I mostly stay on whites/Striper section but must admit it's Ketchns posts that keep me scrolling through the crappie section. I find it most entertaining and learn a thing OR Two. I haven't taken up crappie fishing much but am picking up info and just might get into it this spawn. Thanks for posting ketchn.

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Yes, but keep in mind this is the crappie forum for discussing all aspects of crappie fishing, including reports. If you are in the mood for slapstick, we have an outlet for that as well - the OT.

could you please send me a pm so we can discuss this privately sir
thank you in advance
Mark

No sir I don't get your drift. I don't dislike you. Your not my enemy nor do I just not like your posts. There are just so darn many. And about nothing. It's annoying and the overall feeling by others that give reports is they want to somewhat have a serious discussion about crappie. These reports end up on page two because some want to post Questions like who'd give me a boat ride. Really?!

I think it'd be a riot to start helping you bump your posts back to the top since we can't get any reports.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 03:17 PM

I think where many get misconstrued is in thinking I'm in a battle for me. Nope it was for those that want to learn.

I learned a lot this weekend about the dynamics of the forum and what the cause and reaction has been over the years. I'm certainly thankful today. Thankful that many of the people named as big contributors in the past are on my speed dial. It seems they've all gravitated towards one another to some degree and still share.

There are lots of guys on here that are more knowledgeable than I am. I'm fortunate that I can call on them. I know you guys are reading these and won't post. You all know I'm stubborn and always give it a good ole boy try.

Like always, just say I told you so the next time we meet up!

Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 03:31 PM

I think if you look at the posts from Chuck Rollins and his guides from BigCrappie.com, you see what a great fishing report should be. Without giving exact locations, they share what's going on at present with Cedar Creek. To include brush piles (and depth) bridges, coves and points. Current reports on water temps and fish movement. They will say if live bait or jigs are working for them. If someone has never been on Cedar Creek and read a current post by one of these guys, he at least has a decent shot at finding crappie. These are not guys who might lose their weekend fishing spot, but men who put food on the table for their families and are still willing to help the forum members come to their home lake and catch fish. Good stuff.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 03:54 PM

ok yall want to break it down, lets break it down.
PRIDE OF LIFE
LUST OF LIFE
LUST OF THE FLESH;
Lets not worry abt the latter 2 lets talk about Pride of life.
Many folks throw the word Pride around very freely. Pride is not a good thing.
Pride can cause many maladys of the character . Pride ties in with a person
'wanting to be known " wanting to be recognized for thier own personal ego"
some folks have such pride in themselves that when they dont feel like they are recieving thier proper degree of accolades and attention, they actually become resentful towards others because they feel disrespected.
Many people have not done great things in thier lives, so making themselves look like a superior being on a fishing forum, seems to help elevate thier status= PRIDE
I think attacking other is all part of the Pride problem, as degrading others to elevate ones self seems to be the cats meow. SO being the proud bastad that I am., My opinion is,.., if you dont like it here, dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out, dont hang out like a stale fart causing trouble. we are a family here.
Posted By: benp

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 05:11 PM

I just want to learn how to catch a crappie and it not be an accident lol. Seriously though, I have learned a lot as a younger fisherman from this forum and am grateful for all those that take us younger guys under thier wing and show us a thing or two. Knowledge sharing is so important and I thank all of you. I hope that my generation is able to learn more from the previous so that we can in time pass it to the next. I have no complaints over all and have learned that there is a wealth of information on here and plenty of other stuff if you want it.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 05:37 PM

My two cents. 2cents

I will read some of the reports but key on the lakes that I normally fish. I hope to get some information if included but if none is provided, I can at least garner whether I should fish that lake or consider going to another. Yes it is nice to see depth, structure, baits and times but I understand if someone doesn't include that information.

I do see some arrogance in some of the posts (look at me and all the fish I can catch) but I ignore as best as possible. I would never let it get to me to the point that I would call out someone if that is what they want to post. I am intelligent and mature enough to not read it if it bothers me. What does bother me though is when someone makes an obvious jab at another in their or another post. I will make comment that it is childish in hopes that the offender will realize that not everyone is going to jump on the band wagon. My thought is if you don't have anything positive to post, don't. Carry on with your own life instead of getting caught up in others.

What do I post?

1. I post a few fish pictures here and there (but I fish LL so limits are few and far between bang). I can catch my share but see no reason to post every coffin picture.
2. If a product I have purchased is of good quality and works for me, I will give kudos to the individual who produces that product. I hope someone buys the same and has the same results.
3. If I can help someone out. Example - Some guys have asked how others build their condos so I have posted pics and explanations of how I do it. Guess what? I probably learned it off here anyway.
4. Positive comments when I see kids or a special picture/post.
5. Some occasional humor because I like a good laugh at times and chuckle when others do as well.

Sure, there are some cliques on here that I may not ever be a part off but who cares. I have met some great people on here and enjoy every minute when I am fishing. I try to carry that over to when I am reading about fishing.

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 05:51 PM

Tommy i get bored pretty easily
not to go after anyone but Tawakoni for instance
everyone that's ever fished it in the winter and managed fish
knows the same ole same ole on the pattern there
just like Fork and LOP
nothing new there
go find fish deep ...drop a zillion minnows on them
or maybe a jig if you want a slightly elevated challenge
KABOOM ketch fish ....very very easy for sure
and yes a lot of them will be large fish
it aint really a secret or difficult if a person has the right equipment and the time to do it
anyone that sends me a pm on whatever or whenever or wherever gest what they want in information
you may feel free to do so as well if you have questions on my posts
i am for sure the most open book ever on ketchn any kind of fish
on the open public forum my posts are meant to be a challenge to those that just
want to gleen info and don't offer any in return
we all have a common goal brother ....to ketch fish
i try to do my version with a smile and a laugh
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 05:54 PM

Start your own forum so you can tell people how to be.

Good day
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: benp
I just want to learn how to catch a crappie and it not be an accident lol. Seriously though, I have learned a lot as a younger fisherman from this forum and am grateful for all those that take us younger guys under thier wing and show us a thing or two. Knowledge sharing is so important and I thank all of you. I hope that my generation is able to learn more from the previous so that we can in time pass it to the next. I have no complaints over all and have learned that there is a wealth of information on here and plenty of other stuff if you want it.
Well said benp. I'm not young anymore but I am passionate about crappie fishing. I've been crappie fishing a lot of years and for sure no expert. Guys like Tommy,Mr.Paty Bobcat1 (Bobby) and several others have forgot more about crappie fishing than I'll ever know. I just enjoy learning from them anď hope they will continue to teach. It would be a terrible loss for those of us that want to learn from the experts. fish

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 06:38 PM

just like Fork and LOP
nothing new there
it aint really a secret or difficult if a person has the right equipment and the time to do it
anyone that sends me a pm on whatever or whenever or wherever gest what they want in information
on the open public forum my posts are meant to be a challenge to those that just

I do not post on this forum except to learn about crappie and share what I know. Your invalid insinuation that I have to post cause I'm a guide holds no weight for many reasons I won't go into. I will say I've proven this by putting myself up for a bashing to voice my opinion.

I don't find it easy to fish any lake any time of the year. I won't assume but by your admitted knowledge of fishing I can see how most if not all posts would bore you. However the forum is here for all levels of fishermen. When I post and someone replys that has never caught a fish there have been many times their question sets off a light bulb in my head. These instances make all better fishermen.

Yesterday morning there was a thread. In this thread you said you lie lie to check for wanna be's on the forum. You also said you come on the forum to entertain and be entertained. We all see this daily through tons of posts. What exactly did you mean about telling lie lies to test wanna be's? I understand the entertain part. Why was the post deleted?

Re: Expectations for Fishing Forum - 03/02/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
just like Fork and LOP
nothing new there

I do not post on this forum except to learn about crappie and share what I know. Your invalid insinuation that I have to post cause I'm a guide holds no weight for many reasons I won't go into. I will say I've proven this by putting myself up for a bashing to voice my opinion.

I don't find it easy to fish any lake any time of the year. I won't assume but by your admitted knowledge of fishing I can see how most if not all posts would bore you. However the forum is here for all levels of fishermen. When I post and someone replys that has never caught a fish there have been many times their question sets off a light bulb in my head. These instances make all better fishermen.

Yesterday morning there was a thread. In this thread you said you lie lie to check for wanna be's on the forum. You also said you come on the forum to entertain and be entertained. We all see this daily through tons of posts. What exactly did you mean about telling lie lies to test wanna be's? I understand the entertain part. Why was the post deleted?

It's time for you guys to take this to a PM.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum