Texas Fishing Forum

New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer

Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 04:49 PM

This will put Garmin on the freshwater map. Tthe GPSmap 7616xsv version will retail at $6,000 with built-in processing for not only Panoptix but CHIRP DownVü and SideVü plus dual-channel 1kW CHIRP sonar. I would imagine that there will be a more affordable units available too but who would want that one right? I look forward to hearing more about this product as it becomes available.

http://youtu.be/qTWoibvw3Uc
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 05:11 PM

I hope by the time I'm too old to climb in a boat, they'll have a remote unit I can put on Kirk's boat and see the fish and use my robot rod at home and drop a make believe bait down and catch a fish. roflmao
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 05:15 PM

Takes all the fun out of it!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 05:16 PM

But, on the other hand - if you have an abundance of money to play around with this kind of stuff, then ...... it might be fun on a different level?
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 05:31 PM

outa my price rang...Sure would be awesome!
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 06:06 PM

All anyone needs is the Humminbird Onix (simple). Lowrance & Garmin are complicated and chirp not necessary in our waters. Just sayin.....to each his own.
Posted By: aj_jacks

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 06:14 PM

Shut Up and Fish

Can you provide more details as I have been looking at the new Garmins (70DV) and I don't want to waste money if it is something that will not be a significant upgrade over what Humminbird and Lowrance provides. I am in the South Texas area.

Tks

AJ
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 06:17 PM

technology seems endless in advances these days
can you JUST imagine the things the military has that we are not allowed to see ?
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

All anyone needs is the Humminbird Onix (simple). Lowrance & Garmin are complicated and chirp not necessary in our waters. Just sayin.....to each his own.

I am right in saying that the Onix only communicates with another Onix? If that's the case, you'll need a couple of them. I'll stick with my Lowrance since it is all I have used and has performed flawlessly. Not to know HB, but why learn another unit when I already know how to use mine well.
Posted By: etu

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Ketchn
technology seems endless in advances these days
can you JUST imagine the things the military has that we are not allowed to see ?

peep

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 07:05 PM

I'd love to upgrade but catch plenty with my 798 and still paying for kids college!

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 07:06 PM

It is an awesome unit that Onix!!
Posted By: pepop

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
I hope by the time I'm too old to climb in a boat, they'll have a remote unit I can put on Kirk's boat and see the fish and use my robot rod at home and drop a make believe bait down and catch a fish. roflmao

If that comes to pass Ken, I sure hope there are sensor's that will transmit via microwave's, the sensation of "The Thump" to the joystick in your hand. hooked
Posted By: neill10

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 09:57 PM

The onix is legit running one right now, its amazing compared to my 998 I had. So simple to use too.
Posted By: Bud B

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 02/28/15 11:40 PM

It's pretty amazing technology, at least to me. But then, I still can't believe that I deposit checks by taking a photo with my phone.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 03/01/15 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

I am right in saying that the Onix only communicates with another Onix? If that's the case, you'll need a couple of them. I'll stick with my Lowrance since it is all I have used and has performed flawlessly. Not to know HB, but why learn another unit when I already know how to use mine well.

We have an Onix8 and a Onix10 and they are not linked. No need to have units communicate the way we fish. But you are correct in that the Onix series only communicate with another Onix.
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: New technology from Garmin is gonna be a game changer - 03/01/15 01:03 AM

I thought you were doing a pretty good job of siphoning the fish out of Cedar Creek Lake with your current electronics Chuck Rollins smile

To think you may take your angling to the next level is a tad bit scary. Haha.

Jeff
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum