Texas Fishing Forum

shallow water

Posted By: Wishicaughtmore

shallow water - 02/26/15 04:11 AM

We usually catch a ton crappie in the spring when they head shallow and move toward the shoreline. I can never decide when this starts, so what signs do I need to look for? Water temp? moon phase? Just trying to learn.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: shallow water - 02/26/15 04:19 AM

Start looking shallow at 56-58, usually spawn is on at 60-62
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: shallow water - 02/26/15 01:37 PM

try the full moon in march or even sooner
and try it at night ..... thumb
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: shallow water - 02/26/15 02:16 PM

But I'm sleeping at night. Aren't the fish too?
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: shallow water - 02/26/15 08:52 PM

Full Moon in March is 1 week from today, right? Are you thinking the fish will push shallow with this cold water? I'll be on Toledo Bend starting March, 12th. Hopefully we get some warm weather between now and then. smile
Posted By: larry mays

Re: shallow water - 02/26/15 09:30 PM

TwoLakes, Toledo Bend on the 12 th looks like a home run for sure.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: shallow water - 02/26/15 10:00 PM

I hope so Larry. We have to schedule the trip many months in advance in order to get our cabin. We usually hit some freak cold front or 30 mph winds. smile I would like to have normal weather so we can enjoy the fishing......
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: shallow water - 02/27/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
Full Moon in March is 1 week from today, right? Are you thinking the fish will push shallow with this cold water? I'll be on Toledo Bend starting March, 12th. Hopefully we get some warm weather between now and then. smile

some fish will move up .....
in some places .....
regardless of fronts in my opinion
maybe not super shallow
but certainly close to spawning areas
Posted By: moonriver

Re: shallow water - 02/27/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman
But I'm sleeping at night. Aren't the fish too?

roflmao
Posted By: LSUANDY

Re: shallow water - 02/27/15 05:05 PM

When the dogwoods bloom sir is the answer u are looking for.
Posted By: DaveB

Re: shallow water - 02/27/15 05:59 PM

Dogwood bloom is an old wives tale. They are blooming here in CENTEX now. Cleaned 31 fish this morning after a trip with my buddy on Granger last night. Females were full of eggs that were still firm and the boys had there tuxedos on after they were in the livewell but their tails were intact with no indication of fanning nests. Gonna be a later spawn this year with all of the global warming we have had this year. My 2cents Consistent water temp from 60 to 62 degrees is the key.
Posted By: Naggler

Re: shallow water - 03/01/15 04:26 AM

What Dave said. I have caught spawning crappie in deep water also...to some degree I think it changes from lake to lake. Just fish every chance you get in March! I can't wait to see the bobber go under for the first time this year!
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: shallow water - 03/01/15 04:48 AM

I found spawning crappie last year in 53 degrees. It got much better in the 57 to 62 range but don't discount fishing skinny water at the end of February in a protected cove.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: shallow water - 03/01/15 04:48 AM

You might catch a fish of a lifetime...
Posted By: LSUANDY

Re: shallow water - 03/01/15 03:20 PM

I live in North Texas and when i see the dogwoods bloom i know its very close at least. Certainly this is a wives tale but ive found it more consistent than moon phases or etc. The water temperature is clearly the correct answer if u know how to find that by sitting in your recliner, if not when u see the dogwoods blooming start shallowing up your equipment.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: shallow water - 03/01/15 10:22 PM

Just don't wait till they start posting here that it is on, cause you might be missing out! ole
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum