Texas Fishing Forum

Don't tell the wife

Posted By: bush hog

Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 02:16 PM

but I'm looking at buying another fishing rod. Would like to have one in the 7 to 8 foot length with a medium to fast tip. The boat is full of rods, don't know where I'm gonna keep another one. Any recommendations on a well made crappie rod?
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 02:32 PM

Bonehead 8 footer for sure .....
sensitive light fast strong and pretty as well
aint cheap but WOW they are nice
will she miss the money is the question ? roflmao
I saw a Berkley C series crappie pro in a 9 foot length a bud picked up
seemed pretty nice for the budget minded
fast and light

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 03:42 PM

She can't miss it if she don't know about it! roflmao Thanks Ketchin, I'll have a look at it.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 03:45 PM

An 8' ProAngler is hard to beat and the price is right also. Ed also has some tips for the 8' that make the rod 7'8" and stiffer. Either way, great rod.
Posted By: ou.sooner

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 04:00 PM

Don't worry, my wife threatens me all the time about buying more rods and reels. To this point she has not delivered on one of those threats...........

eek
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
An 8' ProAngler is hard to beat and the price is right also. Ed also has some tips for the 8' that make the rod 7'8" and stiffer. Either way, great rod.
+1. Great rods and won't break the bank. thumb
Posted By: papamark

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 04:18 PM

you mean you cant hide one in that Phoenix
Posted By: Slabrador Retriever

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 04:42 PM

The 8ft Wally Marshall Signature Series rod (tuxedo black/eva foam handle) is also an outstanding buy. Cabelas has them for $49.99. Academy has them for $59.99 but will do a price match. It is a well balanced rod with plenty of sensitivity and power. I've had mine paired with a Shimano Saros and the two have made a delightful combo. Lew's also makes a 7ft'er in the signature series but it is a one piece. Wally also has a tank of a rod in the 9ft solo series rod (the rod blank is a good bit thicker and stiffer than the signature series). I've only seen the 10ft at Academy and Cabelas and for some reason it's not nearly as rigid or responsive as the 9ft. I ordered mine online through Ebay for $46.00. Just as an FYI on the solo series rod, the reel seat is at the very bottom of the rod (fly rod style). I personally like it but everyone does not. Ken is right regarding the Pro Angler rods. I have a couple of them and they too are a very good value. Mr. Phillips stands behind his products for sure. If you're wanting something a little bit more expensive, you may take a look at the 7ft Shimano Compre (medium action). It has a fairly soft tip but it loads up in a hurry. They price out at $109.00 and in my opinion are well worth the money....hope this helps. At the end of the day it'll boil down to what feels right in your hands as we are all different in some way or another.
Posted By: DaveB

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

Great rods. I have several of the older editions but the new and improved rod I held at the CAT Extravaganza has a lot more backbone. Got to order some from Ed. I don't have to ask permission or hide it from my wife. Lucky man I guess to have a wife like her. roflmao
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 05:27 PM

Go ahead and buy it. Never say a word. It's been a long winter and you've earned it.

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 06:07 PM

Oh, I'm not really that concerned about the wife. I just tell her what she tells me when I see her wearing a new dress or new shoes, "This old thing? It's been in my closet for years".
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Don't know why I think I need another rod but I do.
Papamark, that Phoenix is starting to get pretty full.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 06:24 PM

If your looking for a slightly used 8' Pro Angler, I can give you the coordinates of where one went into Lake Nacogdoches. No charge!

I bought another one the next day if that tells you anything. Great rods.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 10:47 PM

wish you were closer,id let you try out my 8' pro angler,eva and cork handle,7' tica and my 8' bonehead.good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/25/15 11:08 PM

I just ordered the New BoneHead 5 ft 8 rod ....
Can't wait to put it in the water.... walking
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 12:43 AM

I'm about to order an HB 899 SI. Do you think I will able to hide that from my wife? roflmao
Posted By: dcar

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 01:02 AM

The wife & I gave each other Pro Angler rods for x-mas 6 8 & 10's and are very happy with them, good feel with the jigs and nice backbone thumb

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 01:08 AM

Sure you can EZ. UPS just delivered my new HDS7 Touch yesterday and the wife hasn't seen it yet. Now I just need to get it installed before she gets back in town. wife
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 01:09 AM

Jacob
Originally Posted By: Jacob
If your looking for a slightly used 8' Pro Angler, I can give you the coordinates of where one went into Lake Nacogdoches. No charge!

I bought another one the next day if that tells you anything. Great rods.

When did you lose one?

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 01:10 AM

Two years ago. Sad day.
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
She can't miss it if she don't know about it! roflmao

That's the same reason my HB 959 is laying in the garage, waiting for a weekend day for her to work, so I can install it!

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
I'm about to order an HB 899 SI. Do you think I will able to hide that from my wife? roflmao

Sure you can, I have a HB 959ci DI hidden!

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 02:09 AM

I bought my boat before we got engaged. Some would call that foresight...

grin
Posted By: shutupandfish

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 02:27 AM

Pro angler rods are great for the cost. Their shipping is also very quick
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 02:36 AM

argue

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 02:38 AM

Sure you can EZ. UPS just delivered my new HDS7 Touch yesterday and the wife hasn't seen it yet. Now I just need to get it installed before she gets back in town. wife

We fish together, as she loves fishing as much as I do. She just doesn't believe you need a bunch of expensive toys to catch crappie since we caught them for years before the expensive toys were invented.

Don't you think she will notice that I now have a different fish finder on the console and the old fish finder mounted on the bow? roflmao

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 03:06 AM

Yall have about got me sold on the Pro Angler.
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 04:13 AM

Another vote for the 8ft pro angler, sure like mine!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 11:03 AM

there's plenty of compartments on that pontoon,lol!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 01:00 PM

Remember - you are buying it for her! Only the best for your special person. But, of course you must verify it still is ready to go by testing it every time you go fishing! roflmao

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 01:01 PM

Oh, BTW I love my ProAngler 12 footer!

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 04:07 PM

and my BassPro ultralite too!

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/26/15 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman
Remember - you are buying it for her! Only the best for your special person. But, of course you must verify it still is ready to go by testing it every time you go fishing! roflmao

I'm fortunate that she loves to fish although she does not think you need expensive gadgets to catch fish. When I told her I was going to order one she asked did I really need it since I had bought one when I bought the pontoon.

I told her I really did not need it but I wanted it. It would be nice to have one on the bow of the pontoon while we were trolling. So as usual, she said if I wanted it then buy it.

She understands that boys must have their toys. roflmao

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/27/15 12:28 AM

I tease her a lot but I've really got a good one (for 41 years now). By the way DFW I told her the last rod I bought was for her (she saw right through that one). fish

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/27/15 02:26 AM

I tease her a lot but I've really got a good one (for 41 years now). By the way DFW I told her the last rod I bought was for her (she saw right through that one). fish

You got to keep the good ones when you are lucky enough that one chooses to marry you. We've been together 47 years now. I tell her she waited too long, she can't get rid of me now. roflmao

And after 30 years or so they certainly can see through you so it's best to beat them to the punch by telling them first. roflmao

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/27/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman

I'm fortunate that she loves to fish although she does not think you need expensive gadgets to catch fish. When I told her I was going to order one she asked did I really need it since I had bought one when I bought the pontoon.

I told her I really did not need it but I wanted it. It would be nice to have one on the bow of the pontoon while we were trolling. So as usual, she said if I wanted it then buy it.

She understands that boys must have their toys. roflmao

Remember - IT IS hers, and yes SHE needs it! Better to be prepared, and not miss the big'ens! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! thumb Been married 41 great years, to the same wonderful person, and yes - she loves to fish too!
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/27/15 05:19 PM

Absolutely wonderful hearing of all these long marriages and great realtionships thumb
Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/27/15 05:48 PM

Just ordered a new 999ci bird for my wife. Hope she likes it when she finds out. eeks

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/28/15 12:38 AM

Well, been debating on ordering another new one.....guess I'll order one for my wife's birthday?

Re: Don't tell the wife - 02/28/15 02:50 AM

SlabHappy, bought my wife a new shotgun for Christmas one year. Speaking from experience, if you're going to buy her a new fish finder for her birthday you might want to have a diamond ring taped to it. flehan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum