Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite slip bobber and stops

Posted By: Naggler

Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 08:50 AM

Quick vote...what are you favorite bobbers and bobber stops? I've always used the string/bead combo and the yellow/green Mr Crappie bobbers...was wandering if the rubber stops work well and go thru pole eyelets better. Was eyeing Thill...they look good too.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 09:52 AM

ironic you brought this up....a few years ago i purchased some wing it bobbers.haven't had a chance to use them....last night i googled the name wing it bobbers and found out they have really improved their bobbers.i plan on purchasing some today.looking to fish the spawn once the weather settles,but will be fishing at night.check out their website,wingitfishing.com....best of luck to ya!
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 10:59 AM

I have never used a bobber before and don't understand how they work. will be watching this. I have seen a fixed bobber used and I think I do understand it.
Posted By: joser

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 12:31 PM

i OREDER THE THE LITTLE RUBBER BOBBER STOP FROM bPRO, THE ARE LIKE A LINE THREADER WITH AT STOP ON IT . pUT IT ON FISRT, then a small bead and then slip bobber, a like a samll bb slpit about a foot above the jig to help the slide thru bobber and seperate it from jig
Posted By: fishon!

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 12:42 PM

I like a thin bobber for the least resistance when a fish bites so they dont feel the bobber. I prefer the rubber bobber stops i cant get the string ones to stay in place very well. Probably me doing something wrong. Ebay has some real good deals on bulk rubber stops.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Naggler
Quick vote...what are you favorite bobbers and bobber stops? I've always used the string/bead combo and the yellow/green Mr Crappie bobbers...was wandering if the rubber stops work well and go thru pole eyelets better. Was eyeing Thill...they look good too.

The Thill pro series bobbers are the best. A close runner up is the Eagle Claw knock off of the Thill. I use the 3/4 or 7/8 inch sizes.
The very best bobber stoppers are the Rainbow Plastics Gizmo. They will work better with your reel than any of the string or rubber types.

Once you use the Thill/Gizmo combination you will never be satisfied with any other. Be sure to use the correct Gizmo for your line size. Otherwise they will slip.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 02:46 PM

I like the balsa wood eagle claw corks and a string and bead stop... Also use a lighted cork at night..
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 03:00 PM

Thank you Smithaven, I think I understand now are at lease I will after seeing this up close. I want to try this in the next few weeks.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven

The Thill pro series bobbers are the best. A close runner up is the Eagle Claw knock off of the Thill. I use the 3/4 or 7/8 inch sizes.
The very best bobber stoppers are the Rainbow Plastics Gizmo. They will work better with your reel than any of the string or rubber types.

Once you use the Thill/Gizmo combination you will never be satisfied with any other. Be sure to use the correct Gizmo for your line size. Otherwise they will slip.

That thing looks promising, but it also looks like it would catch on eyelets, and would cause a bunch of bird's nests on the reel when casting out. I bank fish, and need to be able to cast out pretty far to get to deeper water. Seems like that stopper would catch on something when casting with force. Down-fishing, I can see it would pose no big problems.

Scott in Flower Mound
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 04:14 PM

Scott that pic is about 10 times the actual size, you need not worry about it hanging on eyes.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 05:15 PM

Hard to cast. I quit using them and went to string.
Posted By: Naggler

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 05:28 PM

I am interested in those Gizmo stoppers...but do you still need the bead if using a thill w it? Also, I usually use power pro hi vis yellow, sometimes with a flouro leader. Do the rubber stops only work on mono or flouro? Seems like they would slip up and down braid. If those Gizmos say they are rated for say 10 pound mono, is that true with 10 pound fluoro? I checked out the wing it bobbers also...they look very nice but I do prefer the bobbers where the line goes thru the bobber itself. Have less trouble with line wrapping around them when casting.
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 05:49 PM

http://www.hloutdoors.com/

The best I have ever used and they are super tough!

Two bucks a piece and worth every penny!

Check them out!
Posted By: Carver

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 05:50 PM

I use Thill floats and string stops. Have tried a LOT of others and always prefer the Thill.
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 06:04 PM

I use slip floats with a string knot when I use a float. I am going to try the Thill Wobber Bobber when I am able to fish again.

I'm not sure their action will be that different from a regular bobber but the videos of them in action does intrigue me. (sorry ketchm, you haven't convinced me that a fixed bobber is superior to a slip bobber.) roflmao
Posted By: smove

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 06:47 PM

+1 thumb

Posted By: donothin

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 06:53 PM

I use the string ties with small beads for crappie and they seem to work pretty good except sometime the string loosens. I ordered some stops that I saw advertised here on fishing forum, but they were much too large for the eyes of the rods that I use and not useful at all. Don't remember what they were called.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 07:30 PM

I use these if I need to reel the stop thru the guides. The only thing I dislike like about them is you have to have really good eyesight to rig them. 95% of the time I use a simple rubber band as a bobby stop. They are cheap and effective.

Reggie
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/24/15 08:45 PM

I have a buddy who used dental floss two stop his line, i tried it and it works really good using his knot.
Posted By: dcar

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/25/15 01:18 AM

I have always used the wing it's with the bead and string but that Thill/Gizmo looks nice will have to try it
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/25/15 03:39 AM

I guess I have used all of them and I too like the rubber ones the best if for no other reason they are easy to put on, the gizmo's require better eyesight than I possess, especially on the water and I can never keep the the string ones to stay in place. The rubber stops will from time to time get hung on an eyelet but not too often. And I am liking those bobbers on the link that koobycrappie put up, bout to order some now! Have always used thill bobbers.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/26/15 01:30 PM

To answer some of the questions:

The gizmo will not hang up in the guides or on the reel. It is far better than the other types in that regard.

A bead is not absolutely required with the Thill and Eagle Claw bobbers, but I find using one gives a smoother action.

I am a 78 year old with bifocals and I can thread the gizmo without problems. I think it is a matter of practice rather than keen eyesight.

By the way, I do not sell gizmos. I just like to use them.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/26/15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: koobycrappie
http://www.hloutdoors.com/

The best I have ever used and they are super tough!

Two bucks a piece and worth every penny!

Check them out!

Kooby, does this one eliminate the problem of your knot getting stuck in the bottom of the float?
$2 seems kind of high for a bank fisherman where you loose it if you have to break off but if it eliminates the need for 3 graduated sizes of beads and some split shot to keep things from jamming up in one end or the other of the slip cork, I'd gladly pay it.

Smith haven, same question for the Gizmo please.

I've used the string - Wally Marshall is my favorite, the rubber, and some tiny little ones that look like the Gizmo. So far all have required a bunch of different sizes beads and usually some split shot to keep the line sliding freely through the float. Especially with really light weight small jigs. Thanks guys!!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/26/15 03:55 PM

What kind of knot is used with the dental floss; what kind of dental floss?
Posted By: DaveB

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/26/15 04:29 PM

Can get these for 2 bucks and work fine. Tie them off and then tie another knot in them. Keeps them from slipping and still able to move them up or down for depth. Don't trim the ends off.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rod-n-bo...ops&Ntk=All
Along with the cheap foam 3 packs you can buy for cheap at Wally world or Academy. They work fine. Expensive isn't always better. My 2 pennies.
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/26/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveB
Can get these for 2 bucks and work fine. Tie them off and then tie another knot in them. Keeps them from slipping and still able to move them up or down for depth. Don't trim the ends off.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rod-n-bo...ops&Ntk=All
Along with the cheap foam 3 packs you can buy for cheap at Wally world or Academy. They work fine. Expensive isn't always better. My 2 pennies.

Wash your mouth out with soap! Everybody knows that if it does not come with a brand name and cost big bucks it is worthless for impressing your friends. roflmao
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/27/15 04:35 AM

I guess if you are bank fishing I would go cheap.
Since I guide, and have a boat, I really never loose them.

I want quality and something that I can use over and over and not wear out.

The other good thing about the ESB'S is that your line will slip through bobber without hanging up, even with a 1/32 oz. jig.

I ordered another 10 the other day and received them in about 3 days... each bobber also comes with a bobber stop and it is free shipping.

They are guide tested and that means they are used a LOT! thumb
Posted By: Jon

Re: Favorite slip bobber and stops - 02/27/15 04:49 AM

Thanks koobycrappie. If they let the line slide through with a 1/32 and don't jam up the knot they'd be well worth the $2 to me even if I lose some. Saving the time and hassle of threading all those beads on is worth that to me all by itself. I'll be ordering some tomorrow.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum