Texas Fishing Forum

STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST)

Posted By: Billy Wilson (1WildCat)

STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 12:49 AM

Just gave up on a deal for a Triton bass boat, due to my bad knees and the wife being afraid of sitting up high in a bass rig. The "deep-V" boats would be great out in open rough water, but afraid I wouldn't be able to get one of them up into the creeks. Logical solution? Stick-steer. Really like the Crestliner version. 2015 has lots of room to move around (compared to some) and can get it for under 15K. LOVE the Lund Pro Guide tiller rig, but a little $$$ for my taste. Kinda leaning towards the Crestliner as of now. Would appreciate y'alls take on this.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 01:08 AM

May not be as big as you want, but I had one for years. Great boat with double hull and 10 year stump warranty. Solid as a rock. Rated for 60 hp. Doesn't catch a lot of wind and stays in place easily. Also, these boats are built in Louisiana and you can tour the facility. They're made to take the beating of the swamps of LA.

Posted By: chucktx

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 04:01 AM

got a link Jacob??? thanks
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 05:08 AM

Fished many days out of these when I was young. Very good boats. You can tour the plant where they are made, it's just north of Shreveport.

http://www.progator.com/Boats/150C/150c.html
Posted By: Jig'nJerk'n

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 07:29 AM

My friend has a pro master for sale great boat for sale
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 11:56 AM

I think Tbox uses a stick steer rig
they look like they would be nice to ketch fish out of
I played in one a while back some
but just close to the dock with the trolling motor
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 12:01 PM

I was just going to say...look up Tboxfish...he has a dandy little crappie rig.

Gman
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/21/15 12:26 PM

Tbox has a stick steer. Might want to ask him about his experiences and how he likes it
Posted By: Flat Penny

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/22/15 03:40 AM

I bought a boat out of a field in Arkansas for $500.00.
Spent the better part of a year replacing the transom, carpet, seats and paint.
Motor ran like a top and I love fishing out of it.
1973 Terry Bass Boat with 50 horse motor. Stick steering.
Once I get in I never have to get up. Everything I need is at hand.
They will beat you to death and soak you in rough water, but I try not to go out in bad weather.
Posted By: Flat Penny

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/22/15 03:44 AM

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/22/15 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: chucktx
got a link Jacob??? thanks

Sorry! Forgot the important part! It's a Pro Gator 154S

http://progator.com/Boats/154S/154s.html

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/22/15 03:51 AM

This is the one I had. It was console steer, but they make them both ways. I would've preferred a stick steer in this model. There would have been much more room. Thing was a fishing machine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a little video of it running. Tri hull cut the waves nicely in open water.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/22/15 03:09 PM

Stick steer is the only way to go for a small boat. I had one for 40 years.

Don't overlook the Panfish Tracker. It is a great boat for crappie and not bad for bass. The sales pitch can be viewed here.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/22/15 04:15 PM

http://www.royalboats.net/home.html
Posted By: Moose364

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 12:51 AM

I have the Triton 1657 which runs under the crestliner name now, Mine is a 2008 50HP Mer I think Triton had them until 2010 but either way they all or made in the same plant just diff stickers, I know when they where under the Triton name they carry a lifetime hull warranty, Dealer sent mine back to the factory in 2014 for stress cracks by the transon they welded it repainted it all and hydro tested the hull. cost me nothing other than being without boat, I have been very happy with the boat, very easy to load by myself. the only thing Im not crazy about is it was ordered without carpet, which is great for washing it clean, but suck's on the hot sunny day's because everything you touch is hotter than hell, the only other one I looked at was the G3 panfish you can get it in a 17' But when it came to money the Triton was a better deal,
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 03:55 AM

Stick steer for sale on Tyler Craigslist.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 04:40 AM

I have a 73 Skeeter. I will probably keep it as long as it holds up. 27mph with a 50hp Evinrude. Good boat. I've taken water a few times but it keeps on truck'en.

It looks a little different now but you get the idea....

Posted By: chickenman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 04:13 PM

If you can get an old Skeet or Kingfisher, I suggest you do vs buying new. Those boats are tanks for the most part. I paid $500 for mine.

I replaced the captain chair with a better chair because those old seats are a beating. I put an elite 7 on it but have a HDS 7 coming. New hand controlled TM so I have more foot room. Removed the anchor because it was always in the way and I hardly used it. Its still in the boat.

The only problems are that its a wet ride if the wind is up and the transom sits pretty low in the water. I wont launch if I know its going to blow above 10-12mph unless I'm fishing wind protected areas. I fear that a ski boat wake will sneak up on me and swamp the boat. Other than that, its been a real pleasure most of the time.

Posted By: ezgoing

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 04:42 PM

Big expensive boats with large motors are for those who love to run up and down the water at high speed while claiming they are fishing. Or want to impress people with the equipment they own. bolt

I've been guilty of this in the past myself with some of the boats I've owned. roflmao

I now use a Bass Buggy DLX 18 with a 40 hp motor on it. It takes me up and down the lake at a sizzling 18 mph if I'm using the big motor, which I seldom do.

Most of the time I'm on the trolling motor, using the fish finder to learn the lake and find new fishing spots as I move from spot to spot. There are brush piles and structure starting at the marina entrance all the way to the bridge that I fish as I move.

I would have a smaller boat such as the ones you are looking into if it was just me fishing. But my wife loves to fish but now has Parkinson's. So I need the pontoon so she can fish with me.

In my opinion you are going the right way for crappie fishing. I wish I could do the same.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 04:54 PM

That foam filled hull comes in handy if you forget your drain plug. Don't ask me how I know...
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/23/15 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
That foam filled hull comes in handy if you forget your drain plug. Don't ask me how I know...

Been there, done that. Another reason for a pontoon in my old age, they don't use plugs. Now if I can just remember to remove the mooring ropes before I back out. roflmao
Posted By: Moose364

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/24/15 05:02 AM

Old stick steer Sidewinder boats built in Gladewater Tx by Pappy Shipp were tanks. only boat my grandpa would own,
Posted By: pepop

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/24/15 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: chickenman
If you can get an old Skeet or Kingfisher, I suggest you do vs buying new. Those boats are tanks for the most part. The only problems are that its a wet ride if the wind is up and the transom sits pretty low in the water. I wont launch if I know its going to blow above 10-12mph unless I'm fishing wind protected areas. I fear that a ski boat wake will sneak up on me and swamp the boat. Other than that, its been a real pleasure most of the time.

My dad had a 16' Skeeter Metro w/an 85 Evinrude that as I remember, was as big as today's Yamaha 250. Anyway, that boat bounced off more trees, climbed up on & spun off of more stumps & was beached on Rock & concrete more times than anyone would believe and it never missed a beat nor did it ever leak a drop. It was a fairly rough, wet ride (for the front chair mostly) when the wind was up but mom just sat in the back, held on tight to the sides of the chair & cussed dad for staying out too long when he KNEW the wind was picking up! LOL! Sorry, just remembering.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/27/15 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

^^^^^^^^^This, but get the new hydraulic steering!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/27/15 01:43 PM

Who sells the G3 in DFW area?
Posted By: fishin_farmer

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/27/15 02:30 PM

Plano marine sells the g3 brand
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: STICK-STEER CRAPPIE RIGS (WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST) - 02/27/15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin_farmer
Plano marine sells the g3 brand

Thanks Cody! Will check'em out this weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum