Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie baiting

Posted By: JohnButte

Crappie baiting - 02/04/15 10:00 PM

So in Lake El Butto (retention pond in my neighborhood) one of the neighbors has been feeding the catfish. He throws corn kernels and dog food to them. I have noticed that not long after he does this I am able to clean up on crappie nearby. So my speculation is that baitfish are also coming to get the food, and that lights up the crappie. Do yall think that's what is going on?

Second question. I'll be vacationing in September on a feeder creek of the Colorado river near lbj/inks/buchanan, and crappie fishing has been very hit or miss there. Would baiting like at El Butto be likely to increase my chances, and if so what should I be throwing in the water?

Thanks in advance for any tips and feedback.
Posted By: Choupique

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/04/15 10:16 PM

See the interesting thread on Crappie Cakes in this section...
Posted By: brush pile 1023

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/04/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Choupique
See the interesting thread on Crappie Cakes in this section...

This
Posted By: monster crappie

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/05/15 03:25 AM

"Baitfish and structure are keys to success" says Wally Marshall (Mr.Crappie) in a Dallas morning news paper article. My name is Greg Culverhouse and I am the Crappie King. I've been using my baitfish attractant for years. It works... what you saw at the marina with the man feeding catfish is proof that it works. My product is designed to be put in the brush pile or structure or under marina slip wherever you want to fish. It brings the crappie by bringing the baitfish . Same principle as using a night light to catch fish but this crappie King cakes brings baitfish 24 hours a day and you don't have to have a 12 V battery to run it. It's so simple it's almost unbelievable but yet so very effective. It's just a matter of a short time before you will be able to buy this all across America at your bait shops and tackle stores. This product was designed and tested going back at least 50 years. I watched the old-timer's use this to catch crappie because back then electronics were not an option. They would use the old flasher graph to locate and structure or they would build their own brush pile. They would bait these holes with attractant and catch bucket loads of fish off of ONE brush pile. This is why many old-timer fishermen are very very secretive of their locations they didn't have many and they knew how much it work it took to bait them. My crappie King cakes takes the work out of baiting a brush pile, peel open the package, drop three or four and whole and crumble one up to act as a bite stimulator. Thats it!! so easy and simple but deadly effective CK
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/06/15 02:16 AM

Been there I know They DO WORK smile bannana2 cheers
Originally Posted By: monster crappie
"Baitfish and structure are keys to success" says Wally Marshall (Mr.Crappie) in a Dallas morning news paper article. My name is Greg Culverhouse and I am the Crappie King. I've been using my baitfish attractant for years. It works... what you saw at the marina with the man feeding catfish is proof that it works. My product is designed to be put in the brush pile or structure or under marina slip wherever you want to fish. It brings the crappie by bringing the baitfish . Same principle as using a night light to catch fish but this crappie King cakes brings baitfish 24 hours a day and you don't have to have a 12 V battery to run it. It's so simple it's almost unbelievable but yet so very effective. It's just a matter of a short time before you will be able to buy this all across America at your bait shops and tackle stores. This product was designed and tested going back at least 50 years. I watched the old-timer's use this to catch crappie because back then electronics were not an option. They would use the old flasher graph to locate and structure or they would build their own brush pile. They would bait these holes with attractant and catch bucket loads of fish off of ONE brush pile. This is why many old-timer fishermen are very very secretive of their locations they didn't have many and they knew how much it work it took to bait them. My crappie King cakes takes the work out of baiting a brush pile, peel open the package, drop three or four and whole and crumble one up to act as a bite stimulator. Thats it!! so easy and simple but deadly effective CK
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/06/15 02:33 AM

Back in the day, my uncle would sink a mesh bag with dry dog food (weighted with a rock) in the boat stall or corn meal in a panty hose to draw bait fish.

The crappie follow.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/06/15 02:36 AM

Range cubes and cotton seed cakes bring in the shad also

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/06/15 06:27 AM

I bet that those old-timers caught tons fish,. That's what my Ck Cakes produce is tons of fish... minus the burlap sack and rock. It is Deadly effective. Try some and when you Bingo and see it happen you will not leave to go fishin without some.

Ck

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/11/15 06:13 AM

This fish was caught by Dennis on Lake Hugo in Ok. Okiebob and Dennis Three days prior Baited this brush pile with crappie King cakes and fished it with no success. The fish were loaded up on the brush pile but they just wouldn't bite. I drove to Oklahoma and met them on the last day of fishing we went to a brush pile less than a quarter-mile from the marina . We got set up fish for 10 or so minutes then I decided to crumble the cakes scatter them all around the boat over the brush pile. Within three minutes Dennis caught this big fish (14 1/2 inches). Within about five minutes of that we caught another big fish and a smaller one. That was it, it looks like the bite stimulator aspect of the crappie King cake is more powerful than I first imagined. I believe of the Bob posted some sonar pictures of the cakes being deployed and completely clouding the entire sonar screen with powerful all-natural scent attractants. I think Dennis and Okie Bob were impressed I know I sure was. Stay tuned for more product updates as we fine tune this. Thanks for your orders your input and your patience CK

Is it the magic switch that starts a feed cycle ... sometimes yes ... sometimes no ...

but those sometimes when it does... makes this a must have every time you fish.

www.TheCrappieKing.com

Ck Cakes work ! 1 Bait your hole and 2 stimulate the feed cycle 3 catch more fish !!!

Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/11/15 04:03 PM

It would be nice if you broke your advertising posts into paragraphs. That would make it easier for those who are willing to read your posts.
Posted By: feagins28

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/12/15 12:44 AM

popcorn
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/12/15 01:09 AM

The fish in you neighborhood lake are used to being around that dock and being fed. You can't just go anywhere and throw some feed in the water and expect them to come to you, it doesn't matter what you throw in the water. If that were the case don't you think the pros/guides would be doing it? Try fishing around some structure. That will be your best bet. I'm not to familiar with the water you're fishing but just look for any type of structure.. Good luck looking forward to a report
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/12/15 05:09 AM

popcorn2

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: crappieking95
The fish in you neighborhood lake are used to being around that dock and being fed. You can't just go anywhere and throw some feed in the water and expect them to come to you, it doesn't matter what you throw in the water. If that were the case don't you think the pros/guides would be doing it? Try fishing around some structure. That will be your best bet. I'm not to familiar with the water you're fishing but just look for any type of structure.. Good luck looking forward to a report

Oh, I get that the local fish are used to it. When I go on vacation will be at the cabin for a week. So I'm wondering if I do that all week long will I be able to condition the fish to it to be there and biting toward the end of the week? Thoughts on how long baiting takes to be effective.

There is very little structure accessible from the shore, so the fish tend to roam.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 05:48 PM

Brush is the only bait that you need for Crappie. Anything else will only bring in unwanted fish.

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 08:45 PM

Interesting point that. I sunk some brush piles into Lake El Butto, but have yet to catch a single crappie from them. Instead, they appear to have been taken over by large bass. Caught a six lber, and several in the 2-4 lb class, while also breaking off on a big one. Will bass drive crappie out of brush piles?

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte
Interesting point that. I sunk some brush piles into Lake El Butto, but have yet to catch a single crappie from them. Instead, they appear to have been taken over by large bass. Caught a six lber, and several in the 2-4 lb class, while also breaking off on a big one. Will bass drive crappie out of brush piles?

That would lead me to believe that the piles are in pretty shallow water. How deep did you sink them?

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 08:56 PM

It could also mean there isn't a strong crappie population. Not sure where El Butto is really.

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 09:46 PM

Ck95 Your right you cant just throw it anywhere and expect results. Deer corn wont attract deer in the middle of the city ... but there is a reason why most all hunters use corn where legal. It brings them to a desired location. and holds them there for periods of time. that's what the cakes do brings the baitfish to the structure. I have been a professional guide for the last 5 years and i have used my product for years. I know that it increases your odds of catching more crappie. it's not a magic bullet but its a proven winner and producer of fish. Thanks ck

www.thecrappieking.com
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/13/15 10:41 PM

Limestone is tough this time of the yr .Lets try it on Stone and see if it produces it's close and a small lake and you don't have to drive to Ok and put up with them Okies.Darrell

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/14/15 03:13 AM

Sounds great D I know we tried and didn't get togather on our last trip. let's do this and you can report exactly what happens. Ck
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/14/15 11:41 PM

Sounds great D I know we tried and didn't get togather on our last trip. let's do this and you can report exactly what happens. Ck

Just watch his pole for him if you tell Darrell when he has a bite, more often than not he can catch them. fish

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/16/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
It could also mean there isn't a strong crappie population. Not sure where El Butto is really.

Lake El Butto is the retention pond at the end of of my street. I don't have time for elaborate trips these days, so I get about 2 hours of fishing each weekend down in the pond, which I have named after my internet alias. Here are some fun El Butto facts:

Lake El Butto is an oxbow style lake, long, curving, and shallow. It is approximately 8 acres, with a max depth between 6-8 feet. The entirety of the lake can be fished as it is never more than a full rattletrap style crankbait cast from one side to the other. The lake is adjacent to a creek, which I suspect is the source of the original crappie population, and numerous other species. During tropical storm Allison the creek overflowed into the lake. The bass population has been supplemented by stocking, and my goofball neighbor feeds the catfish. The pond experienced a major fishkill 4 years ago, when the homeowners association decided to poison all the weeds in the middle of summer. Rotting vegetation sucked all the oxygen out of the lake and many, many fish died, although apparently not all. I feared the crappie population was gone, but they have made a sizeable comeback. More on that in a bit.
Species include largemouth bass, crappie, catfish, various bream species, rios, gar, and shad.

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/16/15 06:01 PM

Continuing previous post-
At times there have been invasives including tilapia and armored sucker catfish. I thought the cold of last year wiped out both, but after a recent cold snap I saw 2 dead sucker cats floating at one end. Have not seen a recurrence of the tilapia.
Primary forage is shad and bream, along with crawfish. The bottom is mud and sand, with no weeds. There is little to no structure. There are two fountains, and 4 concrete drains that lead in to the lake. The drains almost always hold fish. Fish often congregate at the north end. There are also now 5 brushpiles placed in the lake. Crappie have moved into the brushpiles as of yesterday, when thump buddies six feet under a float thrown near the piles produced 9 crappie, along with losing one that I swear was over 2 lbs. Wallowed on surfaced for a second and came up thrashing its head like bass, managed to throw the jig. Water clarity is generally stained. Lake is adjacent to some swampy brush, and when there is a heavy rain the swamp overflows into the lake at one point. When this happens the baitfish swarm to the inflow and the bass go berserk pounding them, so that one can stand in the same spot and make the same cast and catch 20 plus bass in a row, before one's wife calls and says its time to come home.

Re: Crappie baiting - 02/16/15 06:06 PM

Stout day of fishing yesterday. 9 total crappie, 4 of which were 1 lb+, lost 3 at least one of which was a whale. 7 crappie and the 3 lost were from the brushpiles. 4 bass, including a 6 lber on a football jig dragged through the brushpiles. 1 bluegill as well. All but the big bass came on Lane Palmer's thump buddies and thump froggies. Lost the biggest one when I had a thump chubby on, did not land any using the thump chubby.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum