Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance side scan problems

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Lowrance side scan problems - 06/16/14 11:30 PM

Unit worked fine for the first part of the trip, then we had to make a long run over 3-4ft of rough water and the side scan stopped reading depth, temp, an the left side was reading black, the other side was showing a scrambled screen with no bottom and the down scan read black. When we got to the ramp it was reading black with no depth or temp on all sides, I tried restarting everything with no success, it's showing a source, just not reading, please help. Thanks.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/16/14 11:36 PM

I assume you checked to make sure the transducer was still attached. I also assume when you checked it back at the ramp the boat was still in the water and not on the trailer. Sorry for the no chit sherlock assumptions.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 12:11 AM

Sounds like you compromised the integrity of your transducer while running the skinny water!

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 12:14 AM

How would running skinny water compromise the integrity of the transducer? The transducer never hit the bottom or anything, and yes it was still attached lol.
Posted By: Bottom_Bouncer

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 12:45 AM

My side scan messes up depth most times I am running. My side scan depth usually only works when moving slow.

Add the depth from the regular transducer to somewhere on your screen. I can read depth on that even when the other screens mess up while running.

Hope this helps.

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:11 AM

It quit when we were idling around, Even in fairly deep water, all I'm getting is black an fuzz in water that the sonar shows is 16-17ft deep

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:17 AM

Did you install yourself or have it done? Something sounds off.

Black to negative, red to positive on both LSS and Sonar unit. Then tie yellow from LSS to Sonar. That is all that is needed.

If not electrical interference then look at transducer position.
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:17 AM

Reset to factory default, if that don't work get a Humminbird!

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:22 AM

Yes it is wired by ourselves. All of that matches.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:27 AM

If one side still works, I'd recommend graphing in large circles

grin

I would try a factory reset if you can. Get your coordinates written down first just in case.

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:31 AM

Time for some stupid questions. Did you pull the plastic from the transducer? Did you install 18" away from motor? Is it down far enough in the water? Might want to double check wiring, especially grounds....Did you get a screenshot of the fuzz? Is it one graph or do you have two communicating with each other?

Do you happen to have a picture?

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:32 AM

Do a close inspection of your transducer. Bet you hit it in the skinny water. That's what I meant.

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:33 AM

Mine did something similar to that on my cedar creek trip a few weeks ago. It was cracked!

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
Mine did something similar to that on my cedar creek trip a few weeks ago. It was cracked!
interestingly enough, we were on cedar creek when this happened. We have one transducer, it's 18", down in the water, all that good stuff.

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 02:43 AM

Any way to save the waypoints on a chip or somethibg?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 01:32 PM

If you have two graphs linked, make sure it is not reading from the front graph which would more than likely be pulling data from the trolling motor transducer.
Posted By: Bullhead

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 02:10 PM

I had a issue with my screen showing nothing but a black screen. The transducer was pointing up and I pushed it back down to it's normal position and it started working. Check it while it's in the water to make sure nothing is blocking the transducer.

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 03:26 PM

Ok, will do, it was pretty rough that day so maybe the waves pushed it up. If it is cracked, do y'all know how much a new transducer is?

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 03:31 PM

We only have one graph.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 03:42 PM

Just install your unit on a buddies boat, this should eliminate the transducer as being the problem.

You do have to be on the lake.

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 03:53 PM

$300. It could be pushed up. It's definetly an issue with transducer.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 05:37 PM

for sure check to make sure its still in its original position thumb

Re: Lowrance side scan problems - 06/17/14 05:52 PM

Thanks guys I'm going to check everything today and maybe drop it in the lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum