Texas Fishing Forum

boat motor question

Posted By: shadrap

boat motor question - 06/14/14 09:49 PM

i have a 93 evinrude 150 v6. it runs great on plane, about 25mph is all i need to go. will easily go faster no problem no smoke but if go slower especially around 3 to 5 mph. it will make a sneezing type sound and die. it will continue to do this over and over. i have to continually restart it and man does it smoke. it smokes at these lower speeds even when it is warmed up. and man does it use a lot of oil. i do not put the oil in the gas manually. it is done with the oil reservoir. i will really play close attention next time i take the boat out and see how much oil i use per # of miles. use of gas is fine. but for sure it uses a lot of oil and smokes a lot but not a higher speeds, and at higher speeds it runs great. does anyone have any thoughts how to help this problem?
Posted By: Jacob

Re: boat motor question - 06/14/14 10:02 PM

Stuck float?
Posted By: shadrap

Re: boat motor question - 06/14/14 11:58 PM

is the float in the oil reservoir?
Posted By: Demfishes

Re: boat motor question - 06/15/14 01:07 AM

You may want to check your oil reservoir cap to see if it's sealing so that you get the correct amount of pressure.. it does sound like you are getting a ton of oil in the mix at low rpm
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: boat motor question - 06/15/14 11:54 AM

my 85 Johnson motor smokes a bit at low rpm ...pre mixed fuel
my buds said its cause its old bang
i do know she is a bit ruff on the idle when she is cold
but after a second or 3 ....she idles like a sewing machine and then ....
go lil zebras go .... rolfmao
btw ,,,,they disconnected my oil injection system after it burned up the motor before i got her
the thing that comes to mind with me ....if it puts to much oil in NO biggeeee
if it puts NOT enough ....BIG problem
i would watch that thing like a hawk there sir .... thumb
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: boat motor question - 06/15/14 01:19 PM

Im with Ketchn .... I would block off the oil injection and pre-mix it. Will probobly solve your problem and give you peace of mind!
Posted By: fishing den

Re: boat motor question - 06/15/14 02:08 PM

sounds like your vro pump is having proplems. you can put it in the shop and who knows what they will charge. you probley need a new pump ect, I think i would disconect it and start premixing 50:1 oil with gas. the disconect is pretty simple a couple plugs to undo and cap oil lines you should be ok then. Shadrap youu need to talk to your neighbor!! thumb
Posted By: fishing den

Re: boat motor question - 06/15/14 04:21 PM

if you will put a new set of plugs in it that will fix your idleing and low speed dieing. hammer
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: boat motor question - 06/15/14 04:59 PM

Sounds like I have about the same problem on my 94 Merc 115. It dies sometimes at low idle, and a lot of times when you put it in gear. I was thinking maybe I needed a carb job. I have recently put new plugs and a fuel filter in. I know the oil reservoir doesn't seal on top, it you fill it and trim the motor up, it spills. Do you think disconnecting the oil and pre-mixing would fix it?
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: boat motor question - 06/16/14 02:48 AM

I did that with mine about 5 years ago. I have an Evinrude 94 model 150hp.

Seems like the vro pump was $300.00 so I just blocked it off & premix my gas.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: boat motor question - 06/16/14 11:12 AM

They smoke at low speeds because pre mix ratios are intended for WOT. Sounds like carb jobs may be in order.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum