Texas Fishing Forum

Anchoring. How much ??

Posted By: Fishbonz

Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/13/14 05:27 PM

This question is for those of you anglers who use an anchor for your boat in deeper water if you anchor at all . I want to know how much anchor to use for an 18 ft Ranger boat? hmmmI have the shallow water covered with a power pole.When I ask how much, I looking for how heavy an Anchor to hold it in relatively calm waters.
Posted By: Bogieone

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/13/14 05:32 PM

Depends on the wind. More wind more line but i use a rule of 3. Go 3 times the depth, in 20 feet of water, 60 feet of archor rope

Steve
Posted By: Bud Will(iams) Fish

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/13/14 05:45 PM

15# anchor and I agree with above on about 3 times the rope as depth.
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/13/14 08:09 PM

Mine is the digger anchor at 15#. Holds good in calm wind like today. However at 10 to 20mph wind I use 5 times the depth. Your boat will swing side to side and drives you up the wall which required two anchors. My boat is an aluminum deep-v 18'.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/13/14 10:15 PM

Long scope for anchor line is 7 times the length of the depth. Average scope is 5:1 and a very short scope for windless days is 3:1. 15' water depth would be 45' of anchor rope.

The best anchor is the one that holds in the bottom material that you deal with most. Many like a small fluke anchor. Not much weight, but holds very well.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/13/14 10:32 PM

I am surprised more crappie fishermen don't T anchor with box anchors. That would keep your boat perfectly still and not mess up your brushpiles.
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 12:44 AM

I use a small box anchor on the rear of my pontoon. I still need a 15# mushroom anchor on the front to keep the pontoon stable in position.

I use this to fish bridge pilings, as I don't like anchoring to the bridge pillars and have trouble with wind when I try to use trolling motor for fishing bridges. Pontoons are a big box on the water. frown

But when I'm fishing brush piles I like to throw a marker on each end and then drift past the bp one way and troll past the bp in the other direction. So I normally don't use anchors for brush piles.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom
I am surprised more crappie fishermen don't T anchor with box anchors. That would keep your boat perfectly still and not mess up your brushpiles.

This
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 03:32 AM

Hey fishbonz, I have two go-to anchors..both are round hydraulic cylinders sections with a ring welded on top. One weighs 32# and one is 36#. Either, will hold that boat no problem in a 30 mph wind...plus they don't get hung up and/or lost, regardless of the bottom terrain. They are relatively compact, as well, given the weight of the anchors. I attach a 100 ft anchor rope to each...that way you can anchor well upwind of a brush pile, drift back over the pile, and rope the front off. Then use your big motor (in reverse) to move to well to one side and drop the other anchor, then let out enough line to center the pile. If you get it right you can stay over the pile, regardless of the wind. Plus the heavy anchors will not move and mess up the pile.

You can get any anchor you want, but I see way too many people using anchors that are just too light for the task, which is no better than using a trolling motor on a windy day.

You can add a third anchor that is a lighter anchor to hold the offside if you want but it usually takes to people working side ropes...I carry a third anchor, but seldom use it. I hope this information helps... thumb
Posted By: crope1

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 03:43 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: Bogieone
Depends on the wind. More wind more line but i use a rule of 3. Go 3 times the depth, in 20 feet of water, 60 feet of archor rope

Steve
Posted By: crope1

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 03:44 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: JOWCRAPPIE
15# anchor and I agree with above on about 3 times the rope as depth.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 11:50 AM

I have a ten pound bell anchor
but I also got a 13 foot bobber rolfmao
I do know some of my buds use homemade anchors ...ie crapicat
takes a winch to bring em up though scared
and when ya drop them ....best make sure all is CLEAR for the drop
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Anchoring. How much ?? - 06/14/14 12:48 PM

So very true on the all clear
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum