Texas Fishing Forum

memorial day weekend cedar creek

Posted By: Tommy Ezell

memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/08/14 10:11 PM

My family and three other friends families have rented a house for 4 days on the water. That being said I'm confident I can find fish but I've never been on this lake. So if some could be kind enough to tell me anything I need to look out for. Really I'm just looking for info on dangers of this lake. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/08/14 10:38 PM

Look out for them jet flea's!

And if you see a long hair in a center console, pay close attention.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/08/14 11:05 PM

Yes, especially if HE looks anything like the guys on Duck Commander! You will be able to tell because he usually has multiple people with him AND is usually giving an instructional video on how to run a trolling motor....plus, at times he will be busy dunking a net in the water!!

Seriously, there are some underwater obstructions, but I don't know enough about the lake to be able to tell you where they are...however, if you find them, fish them...you just never know...the water is a bit low right now and I have seen some stumps just barely visible out in open water in the last couple of weeks.

More seriously, some of the guys on this forum know this lake well and can give you good advice on where to be careful. You might let them know what end of the lake you will be primarily fishing though to narrow it down a bit (assuming that is possible.) Sorry, I can't be of more assistance, but I am usually a passenger on that lake.
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/08/14 11:15 PM

What end or what area of the lake ?

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/08/14 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
My family and three other friends families have rented a house for 4 days on the water. That being said I'm confident I can find fish but I've never been on this lake. So if some could be kind enough to tell me anything I need to look out for. Really I'm just looking for info on dangers of this lake. Thanks in advance.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, there are several bait/colors that work well on that lake...contact Jigum, Lane, and Tbox...they will give you the producing colors for the time of year you plan to be there. Hey, if you are lucky, they might even part with a few of them! rolfmao

I can give you some that have worked well for me: 1) Jigum Jigs- Halo Magic; Greasebath 2) Constant Pursuit Outfitters- White Hot, High Noon, uh oh mind fart (it is all green) 3) Thermocline Lures- Zombie Juice, Summer Grasshopper, and that firecracker color (another brain fart). 4) Crazy Angler- Texas Toast, Jokers Wild. An assortment of these colors will have you catching anything that swims (primarily crappie) in CC. Well except for that Greasebath...you can catch any fish that is within 10 feet of that one...no matter what it is...Carp, Catfish, yellow bass, Hybrids, Perch, and an occasional lake record black crappie!

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/09/14 12:39 AM

House is near cedar creek landing marina...at least that's what its called on my navionics maps.

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/09/14 03:02 AM

I did see last week, looks as if someone had bought the old place and had started some type of work there , even a boat trailer parked there. Hadn't seen that in years . Anyway. PM sent

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/09/14 03:22 AM

Thanks again sir.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/09/14 04:14 AM

Tommy, if you are mid lake to the South, you're good. Past Dons port, pass the spillway, there is a hump in on the west side of the lake across from Crappie Island. Stay East and you're good. Down in the Caney Creek Arm there is a bunch of timber as you move southeast towards the south 198 bridge. You don't have to worry about those trees now with the lake only 4 feet low, but might be an excellent spot to see if you can find some fish if the wind cooperates. Thanks Lane for that heads up. I didn't know where it started or extended too.

Fish are in 2 to 20 FOW as of last Saturday. Go check out Lane Palmers post a week ago and follow that advice. You'll find some Crappie.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/09/14 04:27 AM

seems like a fairly safe lake to me ...
like mentioned a bit of timber stickin up on the north side of the caney arm
and in another area I remember further up lake as well ....
beyond that the wind will beat ya down on the open water at times
biggest danger there may be the other boaters on a memorial weekend eeks
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/09/14 12:25 PM

Good luck thumb

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/20/14 12:28 AM

Marked some spots to scan this weekend. Wondering if someone can tell me if Cedar Creek Landing Ramp is open (that's what it's called on my mapping) and if the docks in that community have water in them? Just wondering if I'll be able to use the ramp in the community and if the houses dock will be useable.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/20/14 12:49 AM

If you are referring to the marina that was on the SW corner of the lake, near the dam, it has been closed for years. The ramp in Gun Barrel City is open. Also Don Port, Log Cabin, and Caney City. Most docks still have little water under them. Lake is still 3 feet low.
Posted By: Bud B

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/20/14 09:12 PM

Yes, I looked at the Cedar Creek Landing ramp the other day, from the water. Before the rain, it was barely in the water, and the store has long since closed.

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/23/14 09:09 PM

First brush pile first Cedar Creek crappie. Nice lake!
Posted By: Dan Bennett

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/24/14 01:46 AM

Went to launch at Don's Port today and the new owners want $10 to launch a boat??? Would any one else pay that?

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/24/14 07:23 PM

5/24/14 Morning trip,- Limit ....nice lake. Navionics map has kept me on spots and proven to be priceless!

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/24/14 10:28 PM

Glad you found them. We have a pretty good gig this way

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/24/14 11:07 PM

So I'm guessing the congregation I saw this a.m. was for hybrids?

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 02:44 AM

Big sandies and a few hybrids mixed in
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 03:49 AM

Nice fish. Good job. cheers

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 04:09 AM

Glad to see your bunch had fun on CC...Now go home to Ole Mother Hubbard! rolfmao cheers

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 04:38 AM

I might just stay a while. Fantastic fishery. I targeted other fish this evening with pretty good success since I'd hit my crappie limit. Sandies are magnums.

The multitude of options to fish so many techniques for crappie will bring me back here often. I've never seen so many ledges. I'll be practicing some dock shooting here for sure. I'll be catching one more day then back to my home lakes I'll go!
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 05:23 AM

Way to go! Nice fish
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 01:57 PM

we sure enjoy our trips over there
seems to be flat full of fish to us as well thumb
good job there
looks like fun

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 04:01 PM

I might just stay a while. Fantastic fishery. I targeted other fish this evening with pretty good success since I'd hit my crappie limit. Sandies are magnums.

The multitude of options to fish so many techniques for crappie will bring me back here often. I've never seen so many ledges. I'll be practicing some dock shooting here for sure. I'll be catching one more day then back to my home lakes I'll go!

In case you didn't know, Okiebob put that lake OFF LIMITS to non-local fishermen about the time I joined the forum!!

BTW, I hear there are some DANDY Blue Cats in there as well...Guess that means it is kind of like Palestine, just not as difficult to maneuver...

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 04:28 PM

Noah and Ben put a hurting on the crappie this morning! They say "jigs rule"!

This was Ben's whopper. Noah held it for him.

Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 11:29 PM

Way to go young men! The smiles say it all
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/25/14 11:42 PM

Noah and Ben put a hurting on the crappie this morning! They say "jigs rule"!

This was Ben's whopper. Noah held it for him.

Awesome picture Tommy! That one can be put away for their high school graduation pics.
Posted By: crope1

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 10:44 AM

they are gettting an early start,wtg! I like Ben's way of thinking,lol!
Posted By: WestTxJiggin

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 01:18 PM

That picture of your boys is priceless!
Posted By: crappiecat1

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 01:48 PM

wtg tommy
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 05:11 PM

I like your style....quick study on the 1st brush pile..

congrats...
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 05:14 PM

Great pic!!!!!!

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 08:42 PM

Thanks fellas. We were on a pile that had some aggressive fish stacked in it. I was definetly proud of these to young'ns. The blondy is Noah my youngest boy and wasn't his first rodeo. The little guy is Ben my buddies son and he'd never been fishing. 1.5# crappie for his first fish and with a jig.They used my dock shooters and Ben would reel the crappie clean up to the first eye.

Kirk had a post about hook set.. If you tie your jig on correctly the hook will set in the roof of mouth most of the time. These boys had no problems.

This is Nick my oldest and he's stuck on salt water fishing.

Noah my lil man is the crappie fisherman.

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/27/14 08:58 PM

Nick does like the hogs tho! thumb

Modified .222
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/28/14 07:30 PM

Awesome! Big Smiles grin

Re: memorial day weekend cedar creek - 05/29/14 12:06 PM

It is nice to be back on my home lakes.

5/28/14

Ray Hubbard