Texas Fishing Forum

Must haves in the tackle box

Posted By: Boxmaker

Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 03:23 AM

I am a newbie, wanna be crappie catcher. I have loads of tackle for striper fishing on Texoma. However, for crappie, I only have a few jigs, one light spinning reel, some 6lb line, and a lot of want to. So, what are the "must haves" a guy on Texoma needs in his tackle box? Not looking for a list of everything that one might want, just a list of "gotta haves". Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 03:36 AM

These worked well for me the other day ...
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 04:04 AM

Those Halo Magic are awesome. Matthew aka Jigum also ties a pink/chart/Chart that's good too thumb. Lake Fork Tackle in Chartreuse Ice are good. In fall orange Rocky Tops are deadly. I had a guy named Bentley tie me up some Orange head, White crystal antron body and Chartreuse feather tail that worked well in winter back up in the west end. Of course there are many varieties that work. The key is finding the fish. White and chartreuse Rocky tops are my all time favorite.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 04:06 AM

Good question, you will see lots, lots recommendations. Open wide, i do mean your wallet. grin
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 04:11 AM

I always had great luck on blue ice or purple mist baby shad bobby garlands, purple is always good on that lake due to the purple hue on the baitfish. I've also had good luck on brown/orange in past years. Haven't been in a year though but I used to kill em every winter and spring on these colors. Of course don't forget black/chart white/chart are must haves in every tackle box. 1/8 and 1/16 oz jig heads.

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 04:35 AM

Thanks guys. Keep em coming. Taking lots of notes and learning all I can.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 09:40 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: Boxmaker
I am a newbie, wanna be crappie catcher. I have loads of tackle for striper fishing on Texoma. However, for crappie, I only have a few jigs, one light spinning reel, some 6lb line, and a lot of want to. So, what are the "must haves" a guy on Texoma needs in his tackle box? Not looking for a list of everything that one might want, just a list of "gotta haves". Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 01:45 PM

welcome
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 01:55 PM

Welcome to the forum Boxmaker...
Jigum
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 02:13 PM

Welcome aboard
At tawakoni, chartruese works for me...
Black and chartruese, orange and chartruese ... Pink....
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 02:13 PM

i would say arm yourself with a few items from this website
several of the best anglers here use products from the TFF members
the list is long ....
i like almost everything i have used from this websites suppliers thumb
it depends a lot on what you like it seems to me
and there is something here for every occasion clap
i don't want to list names and baits because it could possibly hurt feelings ....
troll around and see what people use and the presentations ....
that will help you decide best ....and
welcome to the forum
KABOOM
Posted By: fishin_farmer

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 02:27 PM

Hey box maker shoot me a pm I will show you what you need. I live in prosper as well
Posted By: Texas Brave Ranger13

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 02:37 PM

For now my gotta haves are Slab Daddy jigs
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 03:42 PM

Get a lil bit of everything and then a lil more.
My buddy caught fish this week off of "Slab Bandit" pink and black..
I have numerous colors of Slab Bandits but guess what ?
No pink and black ...Guess I need to go shopping ...lol
Posted By: glennwil72

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 03:54 PM

A wise guide who frequents these boards told me that presentation and feel are more important than color. You'll catch more on an "off" color presented in the right way than the right color fished wrong or in the wrong place.
Crappie are like 5 year old little girls, their favorite color changes daily and usually involves glitter. Soft plastics are cheap and don't take up too much tackle box space. Get a variety and buy the colors that are almost sold out, cause fishermen are bad at keeping secrets. rolfmao
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 06:27 PM

Line, sharp hooks, floats, sinkers. Crappie Nibbles. Everything else is subjective and will have supporters and detractors. rolfmao

I like rooster tail spinner lures for casting, plan on trying the small super duper lure this year for casting.

For jigs I just use basic jigs with Black/Chartreuse bodies and some basic tube jigs with Black/Chartreuse bodies.

As many have stated, you can catch crappie on anything you feel comfortable using. In normal times, that is. The last three months have been rough for most of us but a few report success from every fishing trip.

Learn who they are and try to duplicate them instead of somebody like me. rolfmao
Posted By: MrWood

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jiggin el
Get a lil bit of everything and then a lil more.
My buddy caught fish this week off of "Slab Bandit" pink and black..
I have numerous colors of Slab Bandits but guess what ?
No pink and black ...Guess I need to go shopping ...lol

It changes with the lake also. I used the same lure as above for probably an hour and got ONE bite. And I missed it too! bang
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/21/14 09:09 PM

Welcome to the Forum. Pumpkin and chartreuse. Please don't catch them all!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/22/14 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Boxmaker

Just have Bobcat give you some of his favorite colors (he has plenty), then go get you some. nannyboo

I have fished Texoma exactly once, tried many different colors, types, etc over a weekend of fishing...Met a host of folks over there, and named a lure while I was there...Thermocline Lures..."Texoma Hog Caller" in Lil Fry and Slab Bug...Mrs. Tbox makes the body's...I was fishing with Mr. Tbox, and I can tell you we got a LOT of the following comments..."Hey, you got one of those you can spare?" Just saying check it out...

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/22/14 01:05 AM

BTW Jigum ties one called "Bobcat"...there is a reason it is so named...Texoma, killer diller
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/22/14 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
BTW Jigum ties one called "Bobcat"...there is a reason it is so named...Texoma, killer diller
That jig works on any lake.

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/22/14 01:22 AM

Incidentally, at the top of the forum...there is a jig making section...AND you can catch Bobcat and Me "shopping" from time to time...

Basically, it is hard to go wrong buying products from the TFF forum members...most know how to catch crappie and know good equipment...everyone approaches catching crappie from a different angle...and they can all teach you something different...so grab a back seat every time it is available and you will be surprised how fast you can begin to catch crappie on a consistent basis...Oh, and don't be afraid to try new things (based on your striper knowledge)...who knows you may one day change the crappie catching fundamentals...Good Luck!

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/22/14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin_farmer
Hey box maker shoot me a pm I will show you what you need. I live in prosper as well

PM sent....I think... Let me know if you didn't get it.
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: Must haves in the tackle box - 02/23/14 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: glennwil72

Crappie are like 5 year old little girls, their favorite color changes daily and usually involves glitter.

You forgot pink! 5 yr old little girls and crappie, both, always like a little pink.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum