Texas Fishing Forum

CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb?

Posted By: Ketchn

CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 02:20 AM

I thought I might take a moment to post the start date for the -------- spawn scared

sometimes I am serious ....
sometimes I am not ....
this is kinda a bit a both ...
KABOOM
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 02:23 AM

fish

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Jig Man
fish

I am lookin forward to sum float ketchn for sure brother thumb
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 03:16 AM

Spawn might just be a day or two late this year. I read in Wally's SlabBlaster that the winning teams fishing the Crappie Masters tournament in Florida were spider riggin in 15-22FOW. OMG
If they're fishin that deep in FL this time of year, you know it's cold. Crappie are usually moving on the beds this time of year in FL. eeks
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 03:27 AM

Still learning the spawn patterns of the Guadalupe. hmmm Last year it was mid March for the Spawn here on the Guadalupe. thumb

Gonna be at it tomorrow. Hopefully we can find some still on the brush piles! eeks
Posted By: crapicat

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 03:35 AM

Ok Ketchn, I got a serious issue with your map...I have fished Red Lake, Ontario on two different occasions for a week each time...not once did I catch a crappie and the official lake maps don't even list crappie as a fish in that lake (yellow perch, yes)....So please explain that inconsistency to me.... noidea
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 11:40 AM

With the weather forecast I'm thinkin your map is a lot more wishful thinkin....just sayin...
Posted By: papamark

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 12:44 PM

Don't tell Stubby

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieBob
With the weather forecast I'm thinkin your map is a lot more wishful thinkin....just sayin...

they say I am the eternal optimist brother rolfmao

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Ok Ketchn, I got a serious issue with your map...I have fished Red Lake, Ontario on two different occasions for a week each time...not once did I catch a crappie and the official lake maps don't even list crappie as a fish in that lake (yellow perch, yes)....So please explain that inconsistency to me.... noidea

I hear they can ketch and sell wild crappie up there .....maybe they done ketched em all ? eeks
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:06 PM

I have fished Red Lake, Ontario on two different occasions for a week each time...not once did I catch a crappie -
I have caught crappie on Lake of the Woods, so I can guarantee you there's crappie on Red Lake!

When I was in Chicago last week they were reporting that this is their 10th coldest winter since they have been keeping records for 130 years. It is a cold winter, but think about this, once the ice breaks up there it takes only 30 days for the fish to move up. Puxatony Phill is predicting winter thru Mid March. Mother nature has a way of balancing things out, I bet were right on track for the first wave of fish moving up before the full moon Sunday March 16th. Easter is late in April this year on the 20th. I know ya'll don't believe me with this cold front bearind down on us right now, and then another one sweeping in on Sunday, but it's coming.

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Spawn might just be a day or two late this year. I read in Wally's SlabBlaster that the winning teams fishing the Crappie Masters tournament in Florida were spider riggin in 15-22FOW. OMG
If they're fishin that deep in FL this time of year, you know it's cold. Crappie are usually moving on the beds this time of year in FL. eeks

yeah but I cant stand the wait .....I am putting positive thought action into play here
I am in hope its like a rain/crappie dance brother ....if we all put our minds to it
maybe the man upstairs will give us some rain and an early crappie spawn noidea

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:13 PM

YELLOW PERCH ?...you went bream ketchn all the way up in Canada ??? eeks
hehehe rolfmao

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
I have fished Red Lake, Ontario on two different occasions for a week each time...not once did I catch a crappie -
I have caught crappie on Lake of the Woods, so I can guarantee you there's crappie on Red Lake!

When I was in Chicago last week they were reporting that this is their 10th coldest winter since they have been keeping records for 130 years. It is a cold winter, but think about this, once the ice breaks up there it takes only 30 days for the fish to move up. Puxatony Phill is predicting winter thru Mid March. Mother nature has a way of balancing things out, I bet were right on track for the first wave of fish moving up before the full moon Sunday March 16th. Easter is late in April this year on the 20th. I know ya'll don't believe me with this cold front bearind down on us right now, and then another one sweeping in on Sunday, but it's coming.

tricky lil devils up there in that ccccold clear water aint they .....
I read an article about a study on crappie eyes
seems the colder the water the better the crappie eye sight .....
in that cold clear water .....you can see them and they can see you
and that translates into NO KABOOM rolfmao
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 01:37 PM

the colder the water the better the crappie eye sight .....
in that cold clear water .....you can see them and they can see you
and that translates into NO KABOOM

Thats when you need to swallow your pride and start dunkin minnows!

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 02:32 PM

hahaha and i have seen em swim up to a hooked minner
look a long time .....and back up reeeel slow like a crawdad
and then.....leave bang
Posted By: Dieago

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 02:42 PM

it snowed here a few hours ago and 12 degrees I think that may trigger some spawning activity. Think I should go see?????
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 02:56 PM

If you go fishing in today's weather you are truly dedicated to crappie fishing. smile

Is the Lewisville fishing barge heated? I have been wanting to try that barge since reading all the posts about how great they do there catching crappie.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 03:12 PM

Best thing you can do is burn that paper and warm this place up.

You are welcome.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 03:15 PM

I didn't have any luck last spring with a jig & cork bang Well, not any crappie anyways.
Now I can stand on the docks we have brushed up & catch plenty, but I left them for my neighbor that doesn't have a boat last yr. He may have to move over this year rolfmao
When we moved in here. 20+ years ago, we could catch all the spawning crappie we wanted in the back of the channel I live in, standing on my retaining wall. But it has silted in so bad since then, they just don't seem to want to come in here any more. Caught 3 outta here last year.

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Dieago
it snowed here a few hours ago and 12 degrees I think that may trigger some spawning activity. Think I should go see?????

I might .....I think they can fan out lite snow flurries from the beds pretty easy
its the ice that holds up the fannin activity ...
so no worries breakdance
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 05:45 PM

Well thats my lake ... and uh NO. I always thought it had to do with water temp and some conditional variables.

Last Year Mid March it was on on Sam Rayburn.

fish
Posted By: Ilive4thethump

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 06:05 PM

Mr ketchn sir you seem to catch crappie no matter if they are spawning or not.i don't think that there map of yours is needed lmao
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
If you go fishing in today's weather you are truly dedicated to crappie fishing. smile

Is the Lewisville fishing barge heated? I have been wanting to try that barge since reading all the posts about how great they do there catching crappie.

Some of the best crappie fishing I have experienced was off the bridges at Lake Graham 25 degree and sleet/snow.

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 09:03 PM

Ever been Crappie fishing thru the ice ... yes they eat. The easy crappie fishing is when they come shallow to spawn. Just about anyone can catch some. Even me. smile
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: karpbuster
Ever been Crappie fishing thru the ice ... yes they eat.

Yes sir, I have! I even still have my ice fishing boots, rod & reel & rod stand! Spent some great times on the ice! Was ice fishing one night and a fellow just down from us kicked a mini mag light in thru his hole. it was still lit on the bottom with 4 crappie around it thumb 2 ended up in my bucket & the other 2 he caught hooked

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 11:08 PM

That is a cool story, curiosity killed the crappie.
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/06/14 11:58 PM

dont start the azz whippin already.....lol.... every spring this topic wears me out! just do what i do and wait til after the spawn.....easiier to catch and you dont have every weekend warrior to deal with.
Posted By: Dieago

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/07/14 12:17 AM

I really dont worry to much about the spawn I just try to fish all year every year
Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/07/14 12:20 AM

It's a great time, to meet some great people! Good luck too all, Stay Safe out yonder!
Posted By: chascat

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/07/14 01:17 AM

The crappie will tell you when it is the right time of year and
water temp. Their old bellies will be bulging! Catch the fish first,
they will tell you.

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/07/14 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Dieago
I really dont worry to much about the spawn I just try to fish all year every year

I don't have much trouble fishing all year, every year.

Now catching, that is a different story. smile

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/07/14 04:50 AM

in the end .....the spawn (sprinter or otherwise) rolfmao
is a fleeting moment in the scheme a things .....
the male fish hang a while but the big sows aint in it for the long haul ....
I just mostly liked the pretty colors on the map
and thunk why not ? banana
and again who sent me the subscription ?
I have no idea why this magazine showed up at my house ?

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/07/14 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Ilive4thethump
Mr ketchn sir you seem to catch crappie no matter if they are spawning or not.i don't think that there map of yours is needed lmao

the map was just for fun .....
the spawn can actually be very frustrating ....
lots a should a been here last week or yesterday and or tomorrow...
b4 the front after the front after 2 warm days ...no wait 3 warm days ...
no no a week a warm days ....etc etc etc
one things for sure .....somewhere there is always a crappie biting ....
i think that somewhere is much more important than the when ....
KABOOM thumb

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/08/14 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Ketchn

YELLOW PERCH ?...you went bream ketchn all the way up in Canada ??? eeks
hehehe rolfmao

Yep, seems they bite leeches. We decided to throw some 6 in black plastic worms while fishing the shallows for Pike, those yellow perch tore'em up! Also, we were using some Rapala jointed minnows while fishing for some LARGE walleyes near the bank in one cove and couldn't keep the Yellow perch and small Pike off them...SO we changed baits....I tied on a 3/8 bright orange jig head and a 3" Firecracker curly tail....DUDE, it was ON....even the native guide was shocked and started picking up our discarded firecrackers and using them...he finally broke down and asked me for a jig head, so I gave him a handful and he started hammering them immediately.

Needless to say, when the guides convened at the cleaning shack that evening we became instant Celebrities (I initially thought they were mad at us)...shortly thereafter, our guide called us inside the cleaning shack, introduced us around. Then they invited us to go with them (all the guides) on their weekly camp meat fishing trip the next evening...They took us to a part of the lake they reserve for themselves, and while we were fishing, they kept chattering in their native tongue. Finally, our guide told us the other guides couldn't believe how we out fished them on their native water using our "crazy looking" baits! Plus, they kept marveling at our substantial bait selection (relative to what they had on the "board")...When I was ready to leave, I sat one of my rod/reels and my tackle box over in our guides boat and asked him how much I owed him for a tip...started pulling my wallet out...the look on his face Priceless...he handed me my tip money back, shook my hand and started talking excitedly in his native tongue...people came from everywhere, loaded the plane with our stuff, thanked us and promptly circled the tackle box and started divvying up the booty....Those guys waved at us until we were completely out of sight...baits in hand! Two years later, we went back and surprisingly every guide had our baits tied on their lines...Of course, I had RESTOCKED my "crazy looking" gear...that trip we got to fish with a different guide every day...LOL

OMG eek2 coach dance2 happy8 bannana2 bannana2 bannana2 bannana2 bannana2

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/08/14 04:43 AM

wanna be at my house at 5 am ? noidea
I think we kan find a fish fry rolfmao
KABOOM thumb

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/09/14 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_W
dont start the azz whippin already.....lol.... every spring this topic wears me out! just do what i do and wait til after the spawn.....easiier to catch and you dont have every weekend warrior to deal with.

Just fish in the middle of the week!!!! rolfmao It's what I do... bannana2 fish hooked

Re: CRAPPIE SPAWN IS NEAR ....read it just today ...starts in late feb? - 02/09/14 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_W

Just fish in the middle of the week!!!! rolfmao It's what I do... bannana2 fish hooked

+1

The only nice thing about being old and retired is you get to choose the days you are on the lake. banana nannyboo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum