Texas Fishing Forum

Navarro Mills

Posted By: jhardin

Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 05:24 PM

Does anyone have any info on Navarro mills. Takin the wife an kiddo campin out there this weeken an would like to get them into some crappie
Posted By: Gom

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 06:42 PM

The Marina is a great spot if you dont have a boat. Crappie bite is reel good now. Good jig colors are chartruse colors, pink and black, blue and white. Minnow fisherman do real well also . Last Sun, i fished from mid morning to late arternoon with consistant action. i took the boat out Sat and fished the dam and a couple of the creeks and caught them in 3 to 10 feet. Not as shallow as i expecteded but I think they are still going to be moving up for a couple more weeks. I talked to a lot of people fishing the docks and banks, nearly everone had easily caught their limits. I am always amazed at the number of crappie that NM produces. Unless we get another lengthy round of cold weather, you should do REEL good just about any where.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 06:49 PM

PM Keith Speer he fishes that lake and is master of the crappie there.

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 06:57 PM

Just noticed you said you were camping. The creek banks start to get crowded a couple hours before dark. If you want to do some night fishing, set up your spot early. Some people will get a little " territorial" .
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 08:07 PM

What about fishing n a Tube ???
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 08:51 PM

Yep...great tube fishing in the coves...

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: jiggin el
Never fished in a tube, but I have seen a lot of people do it. Last weekend, there were kayakers fishing the dam and did well. The only thing I would worry about, if you don't like them ,are the water snakes.Of all the lakes I fish, NM seems to have a lot more. Just be careful.
Posted By: where's my bobber?

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/16/13 11:38 PM

Oh man, now he won't go because y'all said snake... eeks bolt OMG
Posted By: juggin4cats

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/17/13 04:35 PM

Does anyone happen to know if Ash creek is accessible?
Thanks
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 01:01 AM

last weekend people were catching 3 limits a piece. They would catch a limit and then call their relatives so they would claim one. all fishing from the docks at wolf creek and oak park

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: juggin4cats
Does anyone happen to know if Ash creek is accessible?
Thanks

It was accessible by boat a few weeks ago...I wouldn't tube it though...you had better KNOW that creek before you crawl into a tube...might just step into a mating ball of cottonmouths...I won't even put my two man in there.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 07:57 AM

the limit is 25 pp right?!
Originally Posted By: snowyriver2
last weekend people were catching 3 limits a piece. They would catch a limit and then call their relatives so they would claim one. all fishing from the docks at wolf creek and oak park
Posted By: Blues

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 10:10 AM

Thats illegal and you should have turned them in. Stuff like that will continue to happen until good guys stand up against what they know is wrong. GW numbers are easy to find.
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Thats illegal and you should have turned them in. Stuff like that will continue to happen until good guys stand up against what they know is wrong. GW numbers are easy to find.

+1
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 01:56 PM

well isnt just that great ....come get a limit .....
this is a prime example of poaching ....
them good ole boyz days are long gone .....
they were stealing all of our fish folks .....
probably good thing i didnt see em ....
they would a been chattin with a couple of our finest in green if it was up to me ....
golly that aint right on so many levels ....
and they were also holding a spot that others could have ketched fish at .....
the same time they were poachin all them fish
Posted By: jig master

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 02:35 PM

Cant believe everything you hear and half what you see.. Now in saying that I may be fishing Navarro Mills this weekend and will keep a eye out..Living for the Thump
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 02:36 PM

well isnt just that great ....come get a limit .....this is a prime example of poaching ....them good ole boyz days are long gone .....they were stealing all of our fish folks .....probably good thing i didnt see em ....they would a been chattin with a couple of our finest in green if it was up to me ....golly that aint right on so many levels ....and they were also holding a spot that others could have ketched fish at .....the same time they were poachin all them fish

+1 mad
Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 02:42 PM

Poaching is poaching so I believe I woulda called em out on it too. If it's any consolation these folks probably don't catch crappie any other time of the year. So they aren't denting the population any more than some who fish daily but do so legally. We have to be the eyes and ears and do our part for law enforcement.

I'll be glad when the spawn is over and all the related seasonal brouhaha ends along with it.

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/18/13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator
Poaching is poaching so I believe I woulda called em out on it too. If it's any consolation these folks probably don't catch crappie any other time of the year. So they aren't denting the population any more than some who fish daily but do so legally. We have to be the eyes and ears and do our part for law enforcement.

I'll be glad when the spawn is over and all the related seasonal brouhaha ends along with it.

Yes sir, I agree...and it is primarily the reason some daily fishermen only keep a good mess of fish (after the freezer is full)
Posted By: StriperAddict

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 03:05 AM

Someone must have called. GW was at the mouth of the creek the other day. Hear it cost a guy $300 that was 3 fish over. GW is Jimmy Woolley 903-721-9394. great guy

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: haveagoldenday
Never fished in a tube, but I have seen a lot of people do it. Last weekend, there were kayakers fishing the dam and did well. The only thing I would worry about, if you don't like them ,are the water snakes.Of all the lakes I fish, NM seems to have a lot more. Just be careful.

There are a few places on NM you have to be careful of snakes, mostly from the middle to the upper end of the lake...the campgrounds normally don't have to many snakes around...there are some, but not in abundance...now once you clear the campgrounds, snakes are common...not like the east texas lakes..However, the upper end has a good population. That said, Aquilla seems to have more snakes on all portions of the lake...probably due to the lack of houses or campgrounds on the lake...I seldom leave the bank without snake medicine, especially during night time excursions.
Posted By: Flat-Head Red

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 06:14 AM

I worked with a plumber that lived on N.M. we used to fish this lil ol slough behind one ol man's house. Anyways, he would do the same thing. Have his kids come get em on 4-wheelers. He always told me to keep all I wanted. Never did. But one night when we ran outta beer I "accidently" left the lid open to his shiner bucket. Man.... that coon was sawin logs up in that willow tree the next morning. But like P.N.S.P. said, those lake-rats mainly fish during the spawn.

P.S. I officially apologize to anyone that may happen to call themselves "Lake-Rats"!

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 03:34 PM

Ok hold up ....y'all really got me spooked now with all this Snake talk ...Wanna put my tube n this lake next week ....what's the real deal about dem SNAKES...."City boy with a Country Heart"
Posted By: Big_D

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 05:58 PM

I had a coworker drown in Navarro Mills. Everyone at work said he was bitten by cottonmouths while trying to rescue his son. His son made it, but he went under and never came up. This was back in 97-98ish. Always heard urban legends about some one jumping from a boat into a "nest" of cottonmouths.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 06:33 PM

Ok hold up ....y'all really got me spooked now with all this Snake talk ...Wanna put my tube n this lake next week ....what's the real deal about dem SNAKES...."City boy with a Country Heart"
MAN just go fish and forget about what you are hearing from others.If you are in a tube and see a snake approaching you if his head is above the water as he swims,that`s the guy that will give you the problem. I doubt that you will see this happen because Cottonmouths don`t like to swim much anyway. They are Vipers & most encounters humans have with them are on land. just watch your step on the banks and you should be ok."TIP" see a Snake in the grass ,step aside and let him pass.Even better still buy a pair of snake boots! He doesn`t want to use his venom on you unless he has to. 2cents
Posted By: jig master

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 07:08 PM

Just go Get em ..Living for the ThuMp

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 08:11 PM

Thanks Bonzzzz

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 08:43 PM

Thanks Bonzzzz
No Prob Capt.

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 08:47 PM

As I said earlier, stay around the campground areas in your tube...Specifically, the Oak Park and Wolf Creek areas offer some outstanding tubing and are spawning coves...just try to stay in those areas during daylight hours, you shouldn't have to concern yourself too much with the snakes...my warnings are to stay out of Snake Creek and Ash Creek in your tube...I have seen a guy tube Ash Creek before...but he has fished that creek all his life and he knows the areas to avoid...whereas, you don't...I hope this information helps. I know where the concentrated areas of snakes are, because I night fish those creeks a lot...and I try to keep them thinned out some...but it is never enough.

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

As I said earlier, stay around the campground areas in your tube...Specifically, the Oak Park and Wolf Creek areas offer some outstanding tubing and are spawning coves...just try to stay in those areas during daylight hours, you shouldn't have to concern yourself too much with the snakes...my warnings are to stay out of Snake Creek and Ash Creek in your tube...I have seen a guy tube Ash Creek before...but he has fished that creek all his life and he knows the areas to avoid...whereas, you don't...I hope this information helps. I know where the concentrated areas of snakes are, because I night fish those creeks a lot...and I try to keep them thinned out some...but it is never enough.
Hey Crapiecat exactly where is Snake creek located?I have no doubt that you know about the Lake. So do I. I know where Hackberry ,Ash ,White Rock ,Wolf and Bynum creeks are located just not Snake creek .So could you educate me? hmmmBecause With all due respect I`ve never heard of such creek.

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 09:27 PM

Between pecan point and wolf creek.

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 09:35 PM

Pecan Point ,is it in the Tom Harris branch??

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/19/13 10:26 PM

Thanks Bonzzzzz

Re: Navarro Mills - 04/20/13 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Pecan Point ,is it in the Tom Harris branch??

Google it...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum