Texas Fishing Forum

East Bound And Down!

Posted By: Matthew Carroll

East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 08:46 AM

Well the day has finally arrived... We leave at 5:00 A.M. today for Lake Grenada Mississippi...
Bob, Larrry, Dennis, and Myself are ichin to get there...
Will keep up with whats up!!!!
Hope the big ones bite...
Jigum
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 10:35 AM

Oh lord...lock up the women and children shocked

Good luck y'all!
Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Andrews
Oh lord...lock up the women and children shocked

Good luck y'all!

! ! ! Attention All Farmers Along I-20 ! ! !

slinger slinger slinger Lock Up your Goats & Sheep. slinger slinger slinger

These guys are never allowed to go anywhere, without their wives. There is a GOOD reason for that. The last time these guys went out for a few days, the News Paper Report of their actions gave Larry The Cable Guy a whole new routine. Jeff Foxworthy has bought the Legal RIGHTS to that trip and these guys Autobiography after they have angel2

Good Luck Guys, hope you catch a Boat Load of 3#'ers, and a Real Trophy Fish each. Stay focused on Crappie, and for God Sakes, No Drinking, You know how OkieBob gets when he's had a few. bannana2

Be Careful and Be Safe. Look forward to hearing first hand accounts at the next fish fry.....

keith
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 12:30 PM

Good luck guys! I hope the weather is nice for ya.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 12:45 PM

Good luck y'all!
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 01:08 PM

Eat lot's of Snickers!! That sounds like an incredible trip! I home it goes exactly how you dreamed and better!! Git a biggun!!
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 01:15 PM

Hope everyone catches a 3 pound crappie smile

Jeff
Posted By: HOGON

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 01:50 PM

Good luck fellas take lots of pics!!! Some of us still have to work. :-)
Posted By: Grease Bath

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 02:29 PM

Good luck guys, wet a "grease bath" for me grin Can't wait to see the pictures from your adventure to Grenada bouncy Tight lines and happy fishing texas
Posted By: Dutch1947

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 02:30 PM

I AM LOOKING FOR SOME SWIM NOODLES IN MOSSY OAK CAMO BEFORE I GO TO CEDAR CREEK AGAIN. rolfmao

CATCH A BUNCH MATT.
GOOD LUCK ALL.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 02:40 PM

Good luck guys! Can't wait to read the stories and see the pics!
Posted By: cellis

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 02:57 PM

Good luck to y'all.
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 03:02 PM

Prayers up for some fish of a lifetime! Good luck buddy!
Posted By: RowdyRankin

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 03:13 PM

Good luck fellas!
Posted By: leanin post

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 03:22 PM

safe travels and high adventure!!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/24/13 03:22 PM

Here's hoping that you have a safe trip and Ketchn good time. If you get into trouble, call me...I may be able to come riding to the rescue! Seriously, hope you catch some really nice fish and take some really cool pics for the rest of us to enjoy!

fish
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/25/13 02:23 PM

Well, Matt Carroll, Larry Milligan and Dennis Smith and I made it to Grenada yesterday afternoon. Ten hour drive but, uneventful.
Now, the bad news. The wind is blowing extremely hard and forecast calls for it to contine thru tomorrow. It's cold as well but, not too cold if the wind doesn't blow. Our guide flaked out on us today and we don't blame him as it's not fit for man or fish! The good news, if there is any, is that the wind is supposed to lay down (just a bit) beginning Wednesday and temps are to warm up very slowly till they are tolerable by Friday.
Sorry to say, we are catching the worst of it and you guys heading here next week should have perfect weather.
Guess you guys know Crappie Masters Tournament is the weekend after you get here so the lake will be very busy with the pros prefishing heavy.
More tomorrow as we set out trying to keep the boats afloat!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/25/13 02:43 PM

Y'all be safe & have fun. I hope you catch a boat load.
Posted By: willyrdskillyrd

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/25/13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1
Good luck guys! I hope the weather is nice for ya.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/26/13 10:24 AM

It's now Tuesday morning and still waiting for the wind to lay down so we can get out on the water. Heard several reports of boat swampings but, don't know details. The guide we booked for yesterday says we can follow him around today on Lake Enid, one of the three in the chain, Grenada, Sargis and Grenada.
Forecast calls for good weather the rest of the week but, not sure the forecasters ever look out their windows. Must be a good job to be wrong so much and still working!
More later, hopefully with info at least getting out on the water.
Thanks so much for all the good wishes....well except for Cooter!
Posted By: Blue Heron

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/26/13 10:54 AM

Here's hoping the wind lays for you guys and you can make up for lost time. It it's any consolation, still windy and cold here, too.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/26/13 11:56 AM

golly i hope you guys ketch sum bigguns ....
i so want to see sum big whopper slabs .....
keeps us posted ....i just love an adventure !
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/26/13 12:17 PM

Good luck fellas... Show those Mississippi stump jumpers how to catch some whoppers!!!
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/26/13 01:16 PM

Thanks Matthew for getting my order out at the last minute before your trip. I hope you guy's are killing them.

OkieBob y'all be safe and hope the weather gets right for ya. The wind has been brutal....

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/26/13 03:45 PM

THIS Cooter picked you for Big Fish!!! Just remember to make intelligent decisions while you are out there to avoid the ambulance sirens (or the angels wings)...I really want to see those old salty mugs around CC again.

Hmmm, maybe that is why the crappie get so big on Grenada, 12 in. min. length, combined with only few actual low wind fishing type days??

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 02:16 AM

Update in the morning!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 02:20 AM

This sounds encouraging! Hope y'all had a good day

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 02:21 AM

Well, we finally made it out this morning on Lake Enid, not Grenada. The wind was still blowing pretty good and it was cold!
We started at 8am (due to the guide being late showing up) and we followed him and his clients mid lake and started spider rigging! For what we paid him he told us to basically, use minnors, tie an anchor so you don't drift too fast and good luck!
That was $300 worth of information. Oh, he did drive by Matt's boat a few hours later and said it was time to move to the dam. When Matt asked how many they had, he held up the big (0) Zero!
Cutting to the chase, shortly afternoon, Dennis came down with the trotts and Matt and Dennis headed for the ramp. Meanwhile Larry and I managed a few nice keepers (12" min on this lake). Final tally as follows:
Larry 5
Bob 3
Dennis 2
Matthew.....OOOOOOOOOO Zip, diddley sip!
(we skunked him)
Let me say this, fishing here is nothing like what we are used to in TX..nothing! There is no structure in Lake Enid..none, flat sandy bottom and the crappie don't school as far as we could tell. You pick up one and not another for another hour! They were scattered deep, shallow and every where inbetween.
But, tomorrow is a different day and the weather is going to cooperate. Wind forecast to be 1 to 2 mph. Water temp is 50. No rain but, very cold.
So here's hoping Dennis is well by tomorrow and we get a chance to fish for the big'uns!
Regardless of the outcome, we are having a fantastic time and looking forward to slaying them manana!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 02:25 AM

Great report! Good luck tomorrow
Posted By: SLABmeSILLY

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:03 AM

Da boys are having too much fun it should be illegal... Hehehe
Good luck gentlemen, and we know you guys will have a blast regardless!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:18 AM

YEEHAWWW...Y'all skunked Jigum??? That means he has to buy dinner for the team!!! Man, I bet he is as sore as an old hound dog after a weekend hunt about right now....Let me guess, he was the only one unwilling to soak minners, like the guide said...I don't mean to be TOO SARCASTIC, but I think next time I went Chuck, or Lane, or Earnest, or Guy, would be in my boat!! Spend my $300 on food for them!

rolfmao rolfmao

On a more serious note, Jigum will be breathing fire for the rest of the week, so your chances at the big fish have diminished...Maybe when you get over to your primary lake things will get better, for everyone....

flame

Oh yea, just remember, you are on vacation...do not get to bed early...stay out and catch a few more memories!!!

rock

After all, the real fun is in the adventure, not how many you caught...although big fish DOES get bragging rights!!! Just ask Greasebath.

Good luck and good fishing. thumb thumb

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:28 AM

Thanks for the update Bob. Maybe y'alls luck will change tomorrow!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:56 AM

maybe yall should have gotten the 500.00 package.. lol
without the "trotts"..

if its a flat , sandy, featureless bottom, maybe try some long line trolling with some small crankbaits. you can cover alot more water quicker. if you get into a patch of them throw a bouy, and crisscross the area.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
maybe yall should have gotten the 500.00 package.. lol
without the "trotts"..

I wonder if the $500 package includes a bunch of those pink miners?

hmmm, here is the dinner version of their inner child speaking out:

Larry: It's good to be the King.. king
Dennis: Man o man, what a day.. flush
Bob: One of the best days of my life.. rockon whip
Matt: THE WORST day of my LIFE.... crying taz

Other TFF members: WOW.. cheers cheer

and last and youngest sick at home, can't go fishing, got the trotts, the Hacks, and the chills: crapicat: I am loving every minute.. stir bannana2

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:28 PM

man your freakin crazy,, haha I think we will get along great.. lol

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:34 PM

ok, Ive changed my prescription.. try some imodium AD colored jigheads with some wally marshall, REFRIGERATOR white jokers , trolled behind the boat.on roadrunner head just go opposite wherever that 300.00 guide is fishing. ha
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 03:57 PM

I bet y'all put a hurtin on em today. Go get em.
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 05:24 PM

It has been years since I fished Enid, but we would put in at the Water Valley boat ramp and fish the snags just out in front. Of course everything depends on what the corps is doing to the lake levels. If the water was up we would troll chartreuse bombers over the snags and put together a mess. If lower we would jig around the stumps. If the water was really up, we would go into Billy's creek or Mooneys creak and jig or minnow fish. Don't know the water level or if you will even try Enid again. If you do I hope this helps.
Side note: I saw where there was a 3.12 weighed in at the MCC tournament on Grenada. A three pounder isn't unusual there except they said this was a male crappie.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 06:00 PM

they will figure them out ,, lot of experience and skills. stay after them guys!!!!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/27/13 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
they will figure them out ,, lot of experience and skills. stay after them guys!!!!

I second that motion...It may take a while, but they are crappie fishermen..as my old uncle used to say...them dogs can hunt, just turn'em out and let'em go!

First though, they have got to get on THE lake, THEN get to figuring it out...trips are never predictable, which makes them an adventure! Being able to Roll With the Punches is what really makes for an entertaining trip for all, whether for them or for us that are just reading about it!
Posted By: less wind

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/28/13 03:33 AM

send pictures
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/28/13 03:45 AM

i wondered what it was like there ....
is it an ox bow lake ?

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/28/13 03:51 AM

Hmm, they went underground...wonder what's up? Hope they made it off that lake ok.
Posted By: SMG

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/28/13 05:40 PM

Only pics I could find on what these lakes sorta look like in the spring. My Father in Law with a nice one waitin for me to open the box. I think this is Sardis.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/29/13 11:31 AM

Excuse the lack of updates, we don't have internet service here on Grenada. Today is the last day of our trip so hopefully the bite improves. We picked a bad time to be here, those here last week caught a lot of nice fish but, noone has this week. One neighbor caught 12 yesterday in 2' or less water and that is the best we've heard of all week. For the number 1 rated big crappie lakes, it's been a very very slow bite. We've spent many hours on the water the past three days with very very little to show for it.
I've managed to win the biggest fish contest the past two days. Wednesday I had a 15 1/2" white that weighted in at 2.3lbs and Larry had one at just over 12" and those two were the only fish caught that day. Yesterday I had one 15" white that was the only fish caught by our group. Matt and Dennis were skunked yesterday
and the day before Matt was skunked, Dennis didn't fish due to having the trots!
Today the forecast is 50% chance of rain with a south wind but, we are getting ready to head out and try again. I'll try to update after we get back home. We leave tomorrow morning around 5 am to be home in time for Easter Sunday.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/29/13 11:40 AM

After reading the back additions to this post I thought I'd add a little more about fishing here.
The only way to fish here is spider rigging. We have looked over a lot of water and just can not mark any concentrations of fish anywhere at any depth. The water is very muddy. To the point you wonder how fish can live in it. I don't know if this is normal here or just due to the very high winds we had the first few days. To spider rig you have to drag an anchor to fish slow enough to have any chance of getting bit. We've fished bare hooks with minnows and jigs with minnows which seem to work a little better.
Well breakfast is ready so that's it for today!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/29/13 12:01 PM

If the super hero's can't catch them.... I fear we are all doomed!! Lol

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/29/13 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieBob
After reading the back additions to this post I thought I'd add a little more about fishing here.
The only way to fish here is spider rigging. We have looked over a lot of water and just can not mark any concentrations of fish anywhere at any depth. The water is very muddy. To the point you wonder how fish can live in it. I don't know if this is normal here or just due to the very high winds we had the first few days. To spider rig you have to drag an anchor to fish slow enough to have any chance of getting bit. We've fished bare hooks with minnows and jigs with minnows which seem to work a little better.
Well breakfast is ready so that's it for today!

what is that lake, a metorite crater? no cover or structure? no humps, ledges, dropoffs, brush , timber? yet holds trophy fish.
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 12:11 AM

Well since Okie (King Cooter) Bob has been so willing to let everyone know how the trip has progressed I'll just add that I had a great time with good friends, and learned a few things while at it...
Spider Rigging is a different kind of fishing (that you don't do with 3 - 7 foot rods),and no practice...
I did manage to get big fish for the week Friday before the rain.
Learned a lot while getting to know the lake...
If I could go again I know I'd be better well equipped...

Oh by the way Bob turned 70 while we were there, as soon as I download the pics I'll post...

Home safe and sound..
Thanks to all for the well wishes...
Jigum

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 02:53 AM

Good deal Matthew. Glad you enjoyed it even if the fishing was off.

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Matthew Carroll
Well since Okie (King Cooter) Bob has been so willing to let everyone know how the trip has progressed I'll just add that I had a great time with good friends, and learned a few things while at it...
Spider Rigging is a different kind of fishing (that you don't do with 3 - 7 foot rods),and no practice...
I did manage to get big fish for the week Friday before the rain.
Learned a lot while getting to know the lake...
If I could go again I know I'd be better well equipped...

Oh by the way Bob turned 70 while we were there, as soon as I download the pics I'll post...

Home safe and sound..
Thanks to all for the well wishes...
Jigum

a big +++++1 what Jigum said about a good time with good friends, it could not have been better and there is so much to tell I'm afraid it will never all be told here in limited space.
I will say this. If at all possible, team up with some good friends and plan a trip to somewhere, anywhere and go for it. We had a tough time fishin but, had a really super time together, a memory none of us will ever forget!!!!
Thanks Matt, Dennis and Larry, you guys are the best!!!!!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 11:38 AM

Glad you guys had a good time! Being with good friends is what it's all about.... Fishing falls second to good company every time!
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 12:05 PM

Now that's what you call "fishing with friends"! It's the being there that counts! Had to be a good time regardless of the haul! Enough stories to last a lifetime. Dennis, I figure you'll get a few stories told about your trip. bolt flush

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 12:28 PM

Quick recap~

Larry and I fished out of my boat while Dennis and Matt fished out of Matt's boat. Except for the day Dennis was, well lets just say under the weather when Matt fished with Larry and me out of my boat.

Totals:
Larry 9 fish caught and kept with one dink. (A dink is anything under 12" on these lakes.)
Bob 6 fish caught with 2# 4 1/8 oz largest.
Dennis 4 fish caught
Matt 2 fish caught with 2# 7 oz largest and biggest fish of the week!
We had a little bet on for largest fish of the day except Tuesday.
I won Wed and Thurs with Matt taking the honor on Friday. So, I pocketed $50!!!!

A bit surprising that all fish but one was at least 12" and the one was just a hair short of 12".
Posted By: fish n fool

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 12:45 PM

No shirt batman. As the saying goes easy come easy go, and go, and go. But there is always a rainbow after the storm. But besides the fact that we started off with hurricane forced winds, lake coming up 2+ feet, water temp dropping 10+ degrees, six boats sinking, stomach bugs in the cabin, ripping the transducer off the boat,learning how to push meat through the water that looked like dark chochlate milk. We had no obstacles to overcome. All we had to do is sit back have a good time and wait for the bite, and that we did. Wait & Wait &Wait. But in the end we all succeeded. We planned an adventure, we had a great time, we had a safe trip, we met some great people, shared stories, learned a new way to fish, and we all caught a MISSISSIPPI CRAPPIE!!!!!
What more could a bunch of friends ask for?
Thanks guys for a Great trip, ready to go back!!!!!

Re: East Bound And Down! - 03/31/13 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: fish n fool
No shirt batman. As the saying goes easy come easy go, and go, and go. But there is always a rainbow after the storm. But besides the fact that we started off with hurricane forced winds, lake coming up 2+ feet, water temp dropping 10+ degrees, six boats sinking, stomach bugs in the cabin, ripping the transducer off the boat,learning how to push meat through the water that looked like dark chochlate milk. We had no obstacles to overcome. All we had to do is sit back have a good time and wait for the bite, and that we did. Wait & Wait &Wait. But in the end we all succeeded. We planned an adventure, we had a great time, we had a safe trip, we met some great people, shared stories, learned a new way to fish, and we all caught a MISSISSIPPI CRAPPIE!!!!!
What more could a bunch of friends ask for?
Thanks guys for a Great trip, ready to go back!!!!!

Dennis you left out the blowout on my boat trailer on the way home and I'm not sure I'm ready to go back....yet! BUT, I'm ready to plan another trip....somewhere...anywhere...as long as there are crappie close by!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum