Texas Fishing Forum

Plastic verses Hand-tied

Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 07:29 AM

What percentage of the time do you catch your crappie on a plastic bait verses a hand-tied feathered or marabou tailed crappie jig? Curious...

Jeff

Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 07:42 AM

50/50
I normally fish RR or LL and there are times on each lake they prefer one over the other but usually they'll bite either.

I've been told or read that sometimes RR crappie won't hit anything artificial. Never believed it until this spring, but I think I saw it with my own eyes.
I'm hard headed and won't buy minnows.

Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 09:06 AM

I started out using the Handtied Jigs only when I got into crappy fishing 2 years ago. But since then, I have gone to ONLY fishing plastic baits. Mainly due to them being cheaper, and being able to have a verity of colors at the cheaper price. Doesn't seem like the price is that big a deal, and it really isn't, but I just have more options with plastics.

Also, I have been able to go to a 1/8oz & 1/16oz #2 Sickle Weedless Hooks exclusively. I have had the same jig head on my line for at least 4-5 months, until last weekend, when I noticed the hook was dull, and I didn't have a sharpening tool. So I tied on a new one. I use a 10# Braided Line which also help me to keep from losing Jigs, but the weedless hooks lets me fish IN brush piles, and timber rarely getting hung up, and the few times I do, I can pull it lose with the braided line.

With the 1/8oz & 1/16oz #2 Sickle Weedless Hook I only use Rocky Tops & Slab Bandits due to the texture of the bait last for countless fish. I have caught as many as 20-30 fish before having to change my plastic. I have also been using the baits that Lane Palmer is making with very good success and durablity.

keith

Posted By: pepop

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dink Dodger
50/50
I normally fish RR or LL and there are times on each lake they prefer one over the other but usually they'll bite either.

I've been told or read that sometimes RR crappie won't hit anything artificial. Never believed it until this spring, but I think I saw it with my own eyes.
I'm hard headed and won't buy minnows.

Hang in there Dink! Keep that Hard Head!bang

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels
I started out using the Handtied Jigs only when I got into crappy fishing 2 years ago. But since then, I have gone to ONLY fishing plastic baits. Mainly due to them being cheaper, and being able to have a verity of colors at the cheaper price. Doesn't seem like the price is that big a deal, and it really isn't, but I just have more options with plastics.

Also, I have been able to go to a 1/8oz & 1/16oz #2 Sickle Weedless Hooks exclusively. I have had the same jig head on my line for at least 4-5 months, until last weekend, when I noticed the hook was dull, and I didn't have a sharpening tool. So I tied on a new one. I use a 10# Braided Line which also help me to keep from losing Jigs, but the weedless hooks lets me fish IN brush piles, and timber rarely getting hung up, and the few times I do, I can pull it lose with the braided line.

With the 1/8oz & 1/16oz #2 Sickle Weedless Hook I only use Rocky Tops & Slab Bandits due to the texture of the bait last for countless fish. I have caught as many as 20-30 fish before having to change my plastic. I have also been using the baits that Lane Palmer is making with very good success and durablity.

keith
Where are you getting those jigheads Keith?

Posted By: Laner

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 10:26 AM

100% plastic.

Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 11:48 AM

Here ya go. i order them by the 100 for this guy.

baitmaker2000@hotmail.com

keith

Posted By: pepop

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 12:06 PM

I guess 75%/25%. I always carry 4 rods rigged and ready and one of them is always rigged with a hand-tied.

Posted By: whitneylakerat

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 12:13 PM

I primarily (95%) fish plastics...but I have to admit its only because I like to be able to change colors if the weather changes, water clarity is different, I don't get a bite, or just for the heck of it, without having to re-tie

Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 12:18 PM

Here ya go. i order them by the 100 for this guy.

baitmaker2000@hotmail.com

keith

That is Mr. Mullins, you cant go wrong with him, he's good people...

Bobby, his SN is Grousefly on crappie.com

Posted By: Tommy2268

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 01:33 PM

Still use the cheap zoom marabou jigs 99.5% of the time. Add 1 drop of super glue where the knot is on the jig. Will last as long or longer as the jigs sold on this forum.

Posted By: Chris H2Os

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1

keith

Just say NO Bobby. LOL

CW

Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy2268
Still use the cheap zoom marabou jigs 99.5% of the time. Add 1 drop of super glue where the knot is on the jig. Will last as long or longer as the jigs sold on this forum.

You obviously haven't fished with the jigs sold on this forum. I wouldn't put any store bought jigs up against the quality I see on here. Especially them cheap marabou ones that had their paint bleed after a while.

Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie
Originally Posted By: Tommy2268

You obviously haven't fished with the jigs sold on this forum. I wouldn't put any store bought jigs up against the quality I see on here. Especially them cheap marabou ones that had their paint bleed after a while.

I have to agree with you Fillet O' Crappie, any well tied jig will out last a soft plastic easy. I have had more than one customer say they have caught over 300 on one single jig and I know others that are good jig tyers jigs will last well too. Nothing wrong with a soft plastic for fishing and I have a lot of them, but just don't use them a lot. Soft plastics will catch crappie for sure no denying that at all, but for me I just like feather jigs best! My Spring fishing is almost all with a marabou Roadrunner that I tie, but at times will use a regular jig in 1/32 and occasionally a kip tail jig as well and some 1/16. If the wind is up I will go to a 1/8 or even 1/4 Oz jig and they will hit them too!

As far as changing color without re-tying that is easy too and all it takes is one of the little Quick Twist Clips that I started using last year. Just love them little clips.

Skip

Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 04:21 PM

I agree with Skip and FOC I have a jig that caught at least 300 last summer. Only reason I cut it off is because they were hooked way back in the mouth and I twisted the hook with my forceps getting it out. The hook is still plenty sharp and I'm sure it would still catch if I tied it back on but I figure I got my money's worth from it. It's the Mustad EWG panfish hook if anyone is interested. Decent hook but a bit bendy IMO. I have yet to wear out any of the black nickle hooks. I've used the Matzuos, Mustads, and recently the Sohumis.

pepop-
I'm hanging in, I think it's been four years since I bought any hammer

Posted By: lakedawg

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 09:02 PM

they both work....slayed em tues on our hand tieds...ran into a young man that slayed em on plastics headin back across the lake. some days one works better than the other...the way it is.

i do strongly believe in our mustad bronze small # 8 hooks.
great for crappie, but hooked and landed a 25" carp last week and a 21"
cat Monday on these little pups. they stood up to a real poundin.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Waters
Originally Posted By: Bobcat1

keith

Just say NO Bobby. LOL

CW
I can't stop Chris! grin Thanks Keith.thumb

Posted By: SlabbedSilly

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/26/12 11:48 PM

Well, for me it's pretty simple. In the warmer months (let's say March thru October) I will almost exclusively fish plastics. I will almost exclusively use hand tied when the water is cold. I think the fish like the more subtle movement in cold water and will catch more fish on hand tied once the water is 55 degrees and colder. Just my two cents but as with anything else, alot of your success is determined by the amount of confidence in whatever it is you are using. You will tend to fish a bait you have confidence in much longer and more deliberately than you will a bait that you aren't sure of.

Posted By: shill

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/27/12 12:17 AM

I am with slabbedsilly

Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/27/12 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: SlabbedSilly
Well, for me it's pretty simple. In the warmer months (let's say March thru October) I will almost exclusively fish plastics. I will almost exclusively use hand tied when the water is cold. I think the fish like the more subtle movement in cold water and will catch more fish on hand tied once the water is 55 degrees and colder. Just my two cents but as with anything else, alot of your success is determined by the amount of confidence in whatever it is you are using. You will tend to fish a bait you have confidence in much longer and more deliberately than you will a bait that you aren't sure of.

Good answer, but is mostly hand tyed for me!!!

Posted By: FroggerZack

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/27/12 01:04 AM

Mostly plastics for me.. I have tried the hand-tied route and invested in the vise and all but really it's easier to just change out baits as needed rather than re-tie. Your results may vary!

Posted By: Radtexan

Re: Plastic verses Hand-tied - 04/27/12 01:52 AM

The fish will let ya know...

As much as I tie,Im still probably fish 40 % plastic....Couple of my lakes are 100 % tied but two others the plastic will out fish...

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum