Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in the wind

Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Fishing in the wind - 04/14/12 06:25 PM

Need your opinion- I'm looking to upgrade to a longer boat. I've always assumed that longer heavier fiberglass boats allow you to stay on a spot in the wind better than shorter lighter boats. Assuming that you have the TM sized correctly. Is this true?

Posted By: big10

Re: Fishing in the wind - 04/14/12 07:54 PM

I belive it is. I was out today in a 20' fiberglass cc with a 101lb tm on it. Staying on the spot was actually easier then i thought it would have been.

Posted By: Flipp

Re: Fishing in the wind - 04/15/12 01:38 AM

I like a steady wind way more than a gusty wind.Plus put the larger prop on the TM.Maybe a chin strap for y'alls hat's? fish

Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Fishing in the wind - 04/15/12 02:43 AM

I have a Minnkota Fortrex (80lb thrust)on an 18' fiber glass boat.

The adjustable power (5%-100%)on the trolling motor makes all the difference. You can make minor adjustments for wind speed to hold you in place.

It will hold you in any wind that's not producing rollers that are coming over the bow.

Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Fishing in the wind - 04/15/12 05:21 AM

I do believe a heavier boat will drift off the piles slower than a lighter one. I have an aluminum Xpress, and I just upgraded to a 75lb/24v just so I can fish days like today. In a boat like mine, all you have to do is blink and you're 20 yards away from your spot. Takes lots of work to stay on it.

I will definately go with a heavier boat next time, but I still can't see myself getting away from aluminum because I fish in teh trees too much.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum