Texas Fishing Forum

Need Advise!

Posted By: B_Thomas

Need Advise! - 02/10/12 08:39 PM

Hey guy's, I usually stay over in the bass fishing section but I am headed to Fork for the weekend and really want get into some crappie. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but I need some advise on what color jigs to use and what kind of structure or cover to fish. I can count on one hand how many time I have gone crappie fishing so I was just looking for help.

Thanks for any advise!

Posted By: DaveB

Re: Need Advise! - 02/10/12 08:41 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...hrs#Post7152834

Posted By: HOGON

Re: Need Advise! - 02/10/12 09:58 PM

Slab Bandits and Bobby Garland for plastics. I prefer 1/8 oz Roadrunner Heads in white or chartreuse. That flash of the spinner sometimes induces a strike even when straight lining.

Colors that have been consistently good for me:

Slab Bandit: Sour Grape, Blueberry Pearl, Blue and Chartreuse, Chartreuse and White, Texas Toast, Bayou Shad have all produced for me.

Bobby Garland: Blue Thunder, Black Gum, Electric Chicken, Monkey Milk, Blue Ice, Cajun Cricket, Pearl White, Chartreuse and White, Purple Mist, Mo Glo any of the colors that glo have all produced for me as well.

I prefer slab bandits for their toughness and durability.

If I use Bobby Garland I prefer to shoot a shot of Super Glue and glue plastic to head of jig to help prolong the plastic. Straight Tail or Squiggly Tail work same.

I usually fish with 10 pound line and make a leader out of 8 pound. I put one time use clam shots about 12 inches above my jig head. Helps with getting jig back out of brush at times.

Crappie are very finicky and color does not matter until it does. :-) A color that produces well today could be used tomorrow and they won't touch it. You have to cycle thru the plastics until you find what seems to be on their menu for "That Day". On Lake Fork last time I went the fish were in 35 feet of water off of the points just North of the Damn. Just look for the cluster of boats. Almost everyone was using minnows...I prefer plastic. I dropped my roadrunner head down to bottom came up 2-3 cranks and started a slow troll...smack! You will get hit guaranteed. Problem with Lake Fork at moment is you have to keep first 25 no matter what...even if it's a 6 inch Crappie. That ends March 1st I believe.

Good luck and hope you get your limit. I've only been Crappie fishing a couple years and I consider myself a green horn, but I do enjoy any day on the water with a fishing pole and a Thump...HOGON! :-)

Best of luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Posted By: B_Thomas

Re: Need Advise! - 02/10/12 10:25 PM

Thanks alot!

Posted By: Bfrenzy

Re: Need Advise! - 02/10/12 10:47 PM

I heard they where biting under the 515 bridge suspended a few feet off the bottom....I know they like it on the fall or swimming back to you...use light colors, silver in it

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum