Texas Fishing Forum

tilapia vs crappie..

Posted By: Dunkky dude

tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 06:13 AM

Just for the curiosity, i've seen many tilapia being sold at the market including costco, but never have seen crappie at any store. why is that? and what about restaurant, how come they don't have crappie? as popular as they are for eating, one would think they ought to have that along with cat fish, but nope, just cat fish... Just curious...

which fish do you prefer for eating if tilapia can be found just as easily as crappie?
Posted By: muddy_shoes

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 06:23 AM

tilapia is to crappie as bottom round steak is to porterhouse.

Tilapia is easy to raise and grows quick. You can grow them in a drainage ditch. If you like tilapia, for the love of all that is holy don't try fresh crappie, you'll be ruined for life on tilapia.
Posted By: carpecrappie

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 11:45 AM

Crappie is a game fish and cannot be sold commercially. Talapia is not a game fish and can be farmed for commercial use.
Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 01:24 PM

Talapia is tasty when cooked right, crappie is tasty even when someone messes it up when cooking it.
Posted By: lakeman

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie
Talapia is tasty when cooked right, crappie is tasty even when someone messes it up when cooking it.

+ 1
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 05:22 PM

I understand it being a game fish, but if it is raised in your pond why can't you sell it to people????

Just like deer raised in your pen!?!?!?!?!?

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 05:57 PM

yeah.. a little confusing.. about this game and non game fish stuff... aren't thsoe speck trouts/drum/red fish game fish? i've seen those were sold to sushi/sashimi restaurant..
Posted By: gatorgar55

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 06:07 PM

crappie is good, Tilapia is not.

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 07:38 PM

this ignorant hardhead guy from my work pissed me off... As i learned from here, i told my friend that you can't buy crappie at the store cuz they are game fish and illegal to harvest them for commercial reason. He overheard and told me that we don't see crappie cuz there'no demand for it and it doesn't taste good and that's the reason. What is the verdict here? are we both wrong or i am wrong? I need to know for sure now. If i am right, please send me some link to support that.. Thanks.
Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 07:47 PM

Catch a crappie. Fry it up and slap him in the face with it. While he is sitting there rubbing his face with his mouth open throw in a piece of crappie. Problem solved.
Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 09:06 PM

Since we started Crappie Fishing, we don't even Catfish anymore. We are strictly a Crappie & Red Snapper family. A big ole 3# slab of Red Snapper Fillet cooked on an open grill, basted with lemon juice & butter, salt and pepper to taste. Umm-umm. Crappie deep fried in beer batter. Lord/Lord

I know what is getting thawed out of the freeze tonight of course we do catch some Fres Tuna also. but, that's it. Just don't get no better in the fish cook'n deptment.
Keith
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 10:02 PM

the gamefish thing-catfish are also a gamefish, so why can they be sold, asuming we are eating channel cats, not bullheads.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 10:46 PM

Hybrids are raised and sold to,"saw it on dirty jobs" i guess it has to do with being
"farm raised" and not taken from public water.
Crappie may grow to slow...
I have read that people were fined for catching and selling catfish out of Tawa.
Posted By: Mo

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/24/11 11:28 PM

If you would like to buy some crappie or walleye fillets

check the price here

http://www.walleyedirect.com/category/other-freshwater-fish.html

I am going to have to start charging $25. a head at the
family fish fry. smile smile

MO
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 03:23 AM

$105 for 15lbs. of catfish!?!?!?!?

loco

I'd rather buy ribeyes!!!!
Posted By: Pope1

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 03:46 AM

Redfish can be commericially harvested in other states' public waters where they are not protected and sold in Texas. Tilapia are extremely fast growing, eat a vagetatian diet (cheap to feed) and can be sold at a considerable margin for profit. Crappie are fast growing, but not nearly on the scale tilapia or catfish are in regards to growth. You will starve before you can raise crappie in ponds for a profit.

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 04:57 AM

thanks for the explanation..
Posted By: Tom Englert

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 01:46 PM

Does anyone think Talapia taste really "fishy" and smell that way too? Maybe I didn't get a fresh one, but my gosh it was no where near the great taste of Crappie or Catfish for that matter.

Tom
Posted By: Carver

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 01:56 PM

Quote from a "cuzin):

I had a "nay sayer" challenge me about the taste of crappie. I fried a piece and put it on top of his head and his tongue dang near beat his forehead to death trying to get to it.

I eat catfish a few times a year just for old times sake. I still like it very much,and like fishing for them, I just like crappie much more.

Phill
Posted By: Mo

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rcglert
Does anyone think Talapia taste really "fishy" and smell that way too? Maybe I didn't get a fresh one, but my gosh it was no where near the great taste of Crappie or Catfish for that matter.

Tom

It is all about water quality,
the ones from Lake Fairfield were great, some that I have eaten at resturants taste muddy, others were fine.
If they tasted " fishy " they were not fresh or were mishandled somewhere along the line.
After watching the " dirty jobs " segment where they were raising hybrids and tilapia and using the
tilapia to eat up the hybrid poop, I don't ever order tilapia anymore.

MO
Posted By: chuck44l

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 05:30 PM

=+1 on the water quality One of the lakes near by the catfish taste horrible very muddy tasting The catfish at our local sand pit are delicious. I agree its all in the water.
Posted By: breambuster

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Dunkky dude
this ignorant hardhead guy from my work pissed me off... As i learned from here, i told my friend that you can't buy crappie at the store cuz they are game fish and illegal to harvest them for commercial reason. He overheard and told me that we don't see crappie cuz there'no demand for it and it doesn't taste good and that's the reason. What is the verdict here? are we both wrong or i am wrong? I need to know for sure now. If i am right, please send me some link to support that.. Thanks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/definitions/

Commercial Fishing regulations for Texas -
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_v3400_0074.pdf
Posted By: Crappie37

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Dunkky dude

crappie are excellent tasting.
Posted By: BuddyLee147

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 07:51 PM

Tilapia A+++++++++++++
Posted By: RedTopLady

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 09:16 PM

Which fish tastes best, or even good for that matter to each person is as personal as any other food. I for one do not want to eat octopus, monkfish or any dark meat fish, etc. etc. but there are many that love those seafood and different fish. Crappie to many of us is the best fish there is to fry up with a side of fries and cole slaw and hushpuppies.

Just let those "nay sayers" keep on eating what they prefer, don't give them a piece of crunchie fried Crappie, leaves more for the rest of us. clapfood

Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 01/25/11 09:27 PM

Funny as some cultures will not eat Talipia. Japanese put them in the Koi ponds to clean up the all the excrememt, so they are considered trash fish.

Here its just the opposite. Koi/Carp are the trash fish and talipia are good eats... Go figure.
Posted By: jjmac

Re: tilapia vs crappie.. - 02/04/11 12:32 AM

Where do you purchased breeder tilapia in the San Antonio area?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum