Texas Fishing Forum

How do you?

Posted By: Slabster24

How do you? - 01/05/11 12:04 AM

I am new to using jigs for catching crappie. I am curious how do u fish a jig in say 30 feet of water. Do you let the jig sink to the bottom, or do you tie a sinker blow the jig to increase the speed of the drop to the bottom. Any info will greatly be appreciated.
Posted By: angus56

Re: How do you? - 01/05/11 12:18 AM

Slabster24,

I've learned a lot in the last 3 years chasing crappie from this form, taking instrctional trips with local experts and joining CAT. In the lakes I fish LL, Ray Bob, Ceader Creek and Texoma I've never fished 30' deep for crappie. The best advice I can give you is schedule a guided trip with one of these experts:
Guy Skinner, Ernest Paty, Cliff Spindle, Paul O'Beir.
After a day on the water with one of these guys you'll be a much better fisherman.
Good Luck,
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: How do you? - 01/05/11 03:36 AM

when fishing that deep go with a 1/8 or 1/4 oz (i use 1/8) jig head, put on your favorite jig color. drop it to the bottom, and slowly lift it up until you get about 5 or 6 feet up. maybe move it up, down, and around, or stop it every once and a while and give the jig a twitch or two. this technique works for me on texoma in marinas in water from 15-30ft deep this time of year.
if you fish at night,or overcast days, try swimming jigs side to side over brush. only use weights when spider rigging. good luck, hope the advice helps.
Posted By: Retired Fisherman

Re: How do you? - 01/05/11 04:49 AM

This website has a lot of crappie info.

http://crappief.startlogic.com/id1.html

Some of the articles are too general. TFF crappie forum is great, keep following it for lots of good tips.
Posted By: jigbutch

Re: How do you? - 01/07/11 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Retired Fisherman
This website has a lot of crappie info.

http://crappief.startlogic.com/id1.html

Some of the articles are too general. TFF crappie forum is great, keep following it for lots of good tips.
+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum