Texas Fishing Forum

crappie reel

Posted By: crappiebob

crappie reel - 09/10/03 12:18 PM

has anyone fished with the wally marshall crappie reels w/9ft rod
Posted By: Steve-O

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 12:57 PM

I bought the 10' combo. For the money, I think they are a great deal. Very sensitive. They go on sale at BPS pretty regular.

I would like to see him come out with a 6' single unit pole. Most of his are 2 piece and I think this takes some of the feeling out of the rod.
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 01:07 PM

I personally don't like the crappie reel, I use an ultra lite spinning reel on mine as It is more versatile.. Of course if all you are doing is standing and dropping straight down to fish,..the $4.00 plastic crappie reel at wally world is just as good.
Posted By: Sidelt67

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 01:13 PM

I use one of those closed face spinning looking reels from Zebco. The underhand left hand models. I have one on my 10' jiggin pole and it is basically a line holder. Works great for me, and since I am holding that huge rod with my right hand, it is convenient to have the left handed reel on there.

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 01:19 PM

thanks everyone i believe i will have two of them cant beat the price but i think w/the zebco spinning type reel would be good combination
Posted By: MarkA

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 02:54 PM

Zebco 11L's: Bah humbug! Try the Diawa underspin closed face model US80XA with rear drag. They work MUCH better than the Zebco. I've had it with paying Zebco the dollars and the stuff just comes apart. Been using the Diawa's on crappie rods for two years and they work great, you can lube 'em and they just keep on tick 'en. Try a 8 or 9 foot 4 to 5 wt fly rod as a crappie stick, works well!

------------------
Thanks and Gig'em, Mark Fairchild

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 03:01 PM

what does the daiwa sell for where do you get it

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 04:46 PM

Bob: One of the best parts is the price, at Wally World, to the best of my recollection they are like thriteen dollars. Have anit reverse, switchable right or left retreive and the rear drag. As mentioned above, with the long crappie or fly rods I switch all of mine to left and never have to switch hands while awaiting the Thump!.

------------------

Re: crappie reel - 09/10/03 05:22 PM

thanks mark i think im headed to wally world after work
Posted By: Allfish

Re: crappie reel - 09/11/03 12:04 AM

Carppiebob,

I own three Wally Marshall rod and reel combos with the rods in the 6 foot length. The rod is great. Enough handle, feel, and base action to set the hook; but, I have a small problem with the reels. My experience has been the gap between the reel body and the trigger to open the bail catches the line when making a cast on occasion. It doesn't happen all the time but it has caught my attention as a flaw in the reel design.

For what its worth...
Posted By: Mo

Re: crappie reel - 09/11/03 02:26 PM

I agree with Mark A, that dawia underspin
is the best crappie reel. I have six of them.
I keep some on the dock for the kids to
catfish with. Been using these for 3
years and none have had any problems at all.
If you are going to be jig fishing, I would suggest getting rid of the factory
line and spooling with some hi-vis gold
in 6lb test. ( thank you, Earnest P.) You will see bites you nevery knew you were missing.
Good luck
MO

Re: crappie reel - 09/11/03 04:56 PM

Mo is a SMART man! cuz he concurs with me. Seriously, his point is well taken, Change the Factory 6lbs Test Immediately After Purchase! No telling how long it has been on or what shape it is in. I use 4 lbs but anything you like will work well. Remeber to de tension the drap when storing.

------------------
Posted By: Mo

Re: crappie reel - 09/11/03 05:25 PM

Thanks Mark
I used to use 4 lb test and 1/32
and 1/16 oz jigs fishing lake tyler in
open water. On Palestine I fish heavier
cover and got tired of breaking off. I went to 6 lb test,and 1/8 jigheads.
Good luck
MO
Posted By: american24/7

Re: crappie reel - 09/11/03 06:50 PM

I use a 6'6" Falcon Rod with a Daiwa Rebel-x reel. It's a great combo.
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: crappie reel - 09/11/03 11:00 PM

Field tested a new one piece rod Wally is working on this summer. Great all purpose rod for shooting docks or vertical jiggin'. Not sure on how production is coming along but I think it will be a really good compliment to his line of rods.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: crappie reel - 09/12/03 12:46 PM

I have several WM rods that I fish with. All of them are good 'straight out of the box', and some of them I make better with modifications. His small spinning reels are good if you don't expect to use them forever, or if you're not using them everyday. They're inexpensive reels and you have to expect to get what you pay for. I bought five of them at the beginning of this year, and will change them at the end of this year, but I fish a little more often and a little harder than the 'normal' crappie fisherman. Otherwise the reels are good for the average guy. I do not like his small "line holder reel" used on the long rods (his long rods are great) as the brake system will quickly wear out. You're better off buying the Uncle Josh brand. It will lock down.

------------------
Good fishin',
Guy Skinner
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: crappie reel - 09/12/03 01:03 PM

AMEN!!!!!

Re: crappie reel - 09/12/03 05:24 PM

Ultra Light: I am not knocking WM or anyone else's UL type spin reels. I got bit by the 'Oh it so cute and little' bug myself. Well they are little but they are not cute and not much for fishin'. Industry and most folks own experience is that the spools in particular are too small. Instead of the 'cute little' stuff, get a Mitchell 308 that will last years and go get 'em!

------------------
Posted By: crappie1

Re: crappie reel - 09/12/03 06:41 PM

I agree with Mark about the US80X but they are much cheaper at BPS around $13 while they are $18 at Walmart. I use them myself on the 10 ft. B&M Jig Pole.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum