Texas Fishing Forum

Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide...

Posted By: Tom Englert

Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/26/10 09:38 PM

Worked my tail off yesterday at Hubbard with no Crappie to show for it. Lucky I ran into a hungry swarm of catfish that readily bit my shiny hiney and my kids minnows. We cleaned 9 eatin' sized cats. Cats I can generally catch, but I want to learn to catch Crappie year round with some degree of consistency.

I am terribly frustrated with Crappie fishing - I read and read as well as listen but cannot make it apply. I am frustrated to the point of quitting; or maybe cheating will be a better option. A guided trip with James Raines may be in the very near future if he will have me.

My 9 year old daughter added insult to injury by informing me that I had no idea how to catch Crappie. Funny thing is I couldn't argue with her!

Sigh,
Tom

Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/26/10 10:34 PM

Sorry to hear that Tom. What type of structure did you fish?
Posted By: Mahoro_Su

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/26/10 11:12 PM

Why not hit up lavon, lots crappie there
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/26/10 11:23 PM

I live near Ray Hubbard but drive by it to go to Lavon. I have been skunked at Hubbard many times but never failed to catch a crappie at Lavon. Hubbard is a hard lake to fish for Crappies.

Reggie
Posted By: Tom Englert

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:03 AM

I need to give Lavon a try. I am fishing under the bridges on Hubbard - all the bridges except Miller Rd.

Thanks for the info and support.

Tom
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:10 AM

My local lake is tough too, I rather drive an hour and catch a nice mess of fish,in a half a day, than drive 15 minutes, fish all day, and catch 1 0r 2 fish. I would bet that if its tough to catch fish at Hubbard in the daytime, its probably a decent nightime fishing lake..... Is the water fairly clear?

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:17 AM

Hubbard is a pretty good sand bass lake and lmb too...
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:17 AM

I don't fish Hubbard but if you pm me I would love to try to help. I am no pro but can help you, Think about it. You need to look at a different approach, totaly.

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:19 AM

Reggie, when we gona hit lavon? Gota get u away from those bridge and fish under the hot sun
Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:20 AM

Hubbard ain't got no fish. I only got skunked twice last year and I fished a ton and both times it was at Hubbard. I no likey that lake, I don't care what you say Mr. Rains.
Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 01:22 AM

Give me a call and book, we are pulling limits on nearly every trip right now. I can show you some things that will change your life.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Mahoro_Su
Reggie, when we gona hit lavon? Gota get u away from those bridge and fish under the hot sun

Should be securing something to tow my boat next week. Getting tired of reading about other folks catching fish.

Reggie

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
Originally Posted By: Mahoro_Su

Should be securing something to tow my boat next week. Getting tired of reading about other folks catching fish.

Reggie

We can use mine if u want...
Posted By: Rangerbobtx

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins
Give me a call and book, we are pulling limits on nearly every trip right now. I can show you some things that will change your life.

It ain't braggin when you can back it up, trust me Chuck can back it up in spades. It will be some of the best money you have ever spent and be sure and take your daughter. thumb

Steve

Posted By: archgreen

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 12:04 PM

Might be a good idea to hire a guide. Ask lots of questions. Time on the water will make it better. I suggest you call Cliff Spindle, I have learned alot from him and he is a great guy.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 02:04 PM

I would go to Lavon and catch all you want no guide necessary.
If you are wanting to find a guide find one on the lake your wanting to learn.
Lavon is fishing real easy right now and will boost your confidence in a hurry.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 02:24 PM

Go fish Lavon, Lewisville, or someplace that has crappie. I know James Raines will disagree with me and possibly some others too but Hubbard is WAY low on my list of crappie lakes. Never crappie fished it and likely won't with the others available around here.

Hiring a guide will pay dividends long after the trip. I've been out with a couple that post on here, it was money and time well spent.
Posted By: rmercado

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 02:41 PM

I agree with hiring a guide.... I fished with two different ones on two different lakes. One exclusively jigs, one exclusively minnows - both their preference (opinions) and learned from both. Technique and what to look for. Ask a bunch of questions. A good guide should share what they look for and why. I'm much better than when I started, can find my own brush piles and spots on the lake, and feel confident with both jigs and minnows.
Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 03:47 PM

Not bragging but we got another 50 slabs this morning. Its not about limiting out but learning. Find someone that does this for a living and pick there brain. They can teach you tons on info in a short time.
I am a full time guide and run about 300 trips per year. Most of which are crappie trips. I operate top of the line boats and equipment. Dont be fooled by low rates somewhere else. Spend the money and learn from the best around. People like Guy Skinner, Cliff Spindle, & myself can all teach you how to catch crappie.
Good Luck
Posted By: James Rains

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 03:56 PM

You boys don't know me that well hubbard can be the toughest lake in the state to catch them but there's plenty fish to be caught I'd love to help rc an afternoon trip to hubbard I could change your opinion cheap. A seminar trip on the bridge and being in the boat with ya would make it easier than typing on the forum. As for another lake lavon would be my choice not cedar creek due to the drive chuck could teach you a lot about it but unless you wanna drive an hour everytime you wanna go fishing then work on lavon. Persistence to learn goes farther than giving up.

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 04:51 PM

i had 2 guides on lavon, both fish very different style and different locations too, i think both trip are will worth the money...
Posted By: Bottom_Bouncer

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rcglert
A guided trip with James Raines may be in the very near future if he will have me.

That would be money well spent. A trip with him will help you consistently catch more crappie on Hubbard.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/27/10 05:51 PM

One other thing if you haven't already done it. Join Crappie Angelers of Texas. I joined two years ago and couldn't catch crappie if my life depended on it. I jumped off the deep end and fished tournaments last year but have slowed down on them this year to work on my skills. I've learned alot in those two years from fishing, the seminars, and just hanging out with guys that know alot more than I do. It was the best and cheapest investment I've made to improve my crappie catching. Made quite a few good friends along the way too.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Gotta quit Crappie fishing - or hire a guide... - 06/28/10 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Andrews
One other thing if you haven't already done it. Join Crappie Angelers of Texas. I joined two years ago and couldn't catch crappie if my life depended on it. I jumped off the deep end and fished tournaments last year but have slowed down on them this year to work on my skills. I've learned alot in those two years from fishing, the seminars, and just hanging out with guys that know alot more than I do. It was the best and cheapest investment I've made to improve my crappie catching. Made quite a few good friends along the way too.
I'll second that! I've had my boat one year this month. I've learned a ton from guides too. Cliff Spindle and Guy Skinner have helped and mentored me so much I can't thank them enough. I've learned from seminars at CAT from every one I've been to. I also learned some new stuff from Jerry's free seminar even though I did not attend. He and Michael graciously posted it in its entirety on their website. I have also learned a lot on this forum. The friends I've made are priceless also. Hang in there and do join CAT as Mike suggests. All of the CAT seminars are available at the website from the past speakers there as well. Paul O'Bier put one on the other day and one little thing he said about the way a jig hangs has made a fantastic improvement in my jig getting bit. I learned some things from Ernest Paty too. He continues to help as well. Then spend lots of time fishing with the knowledge you gained. It's addicting!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum