Texas Fishing Forum

how many jigs do u fish on one line?

Posted By: fishfree

how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/30/10 11:45 PM

I usually fish one jig at the end of the line with or without a float above it.

Do any of you fish 2 or more jigs off the same line? comments?

Posted By: LJG

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/30/10 11:49 PM

At times I do tandem jigs. Those times are when I have accidentally found some crappie. Not a great crappie fisherman by any standards. But occasionally I find some.
Posted By: bikeman

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/30/10 11:50 PM

Almost always fish 2 jigs. Just seems right
Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/30/10 11:54 PM

I only tie two jigs when fishing bridges . You can lose a whole lotta jigs pretty fast in brush if you tie on two jigs. Every one has a prefered way of tying two jigs. I prefer using a three way swivel.
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:04 AM

Can we get a explanation on how far apart you guys tie them or maybe a pic. Thnx in advance
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:10 AM

I usually fish with one jig. When the conditions are tough I use two just to increase my chances.

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:14 AM

I plan to try 2 jigs tied like a bait fishing rig & worked like a drop shot.
heavy (1/2-3/4 oz) sinker at the end. 18 inches up a jig (probably on a short leader), a second jig 18-24 inches further up. I can fish this by jigging the line (leaving the weight on the bottom) or if it is a little choppy out I could add a float 2-3 inches above the water depth and let the waves jiggle the jigs.

Probably wont cast well (may helicopter) but I can just flip it out a few feet.

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:15 AM

I use a drop loop for both jigs. I tie them about 14-16 inches apart. I have tied 3 on once. I caught a tripleand lost all 3 fish who remained hooked togeteher. No more triples for me.
Posted By: pepop

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:24 AM

This photo may not show you much but this is my usual rig...

The leaders are usually 12-16" on 1 ring and 18-24" on the other. You want your jigs about 12" to 18" apart.
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:30 AM

So they aren't on the same line? It looks like you have a three way swivel on the end of the original line then two other lines off the other points with the jigs. Am I in the ballpark? Thnx
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:41 AM

I am totally shocked by all the 1 jig per line and swivel setups. Not that anyone is doing it wrong, but just not the way I was raised jig fishing for Crappie in Kansas. I use the same technique here in Texas. 2 jigs on the same line anywhere from 9-18" apart. 1/8th oz jigs too. wow, a little in shock.

This is all boat house/marina type fishing straight down and little hang ups. 2 jigs lets you throw 2 different colors at them and the weight gives you a great feel and movement.

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:42 AM

I fish mine both on the main line.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bikeman
I fish mine both on the main line.

Same here

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: jsplinter
So they aren't on the same line? It looks like you have a three way swivel on the end of the original line then two other lines off the other points with the jigs. Am I in the ballpark? Thnx

That's the setup. As noted before, this rig is most effective when fishing bridge column's. Over brush, it's bye-bye jigs. crying
Posted By: chris720

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:39 AM

I use two most of the time espically when I spider rig. If I am just walking the bank I tend to use one. When I use two I keep them 15" to 18" apart. Once I find what color they want I will put the same color on both jigs. Sometimes I will use a jig and live bait to get things going. Hope I was some help.
Posted By: chris720

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:41 AM

I meant to say 12" not 15"........12" to 15" apart.
Posted By: Mark Priddy

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:23 AM

One.
Posted By: Onewolf

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:26 AM

One Jig

Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: pepop
Originally Posted By: jsplinter

That's the setup. As noted before, this rig is most effective when fishing bridge column's. Over brush, it's bye-bye jigs. crying

And if you get hung up, most of the time u will lose only one jig instead of both tied with a swivel. I like the 3 way swivel cause you can also change a lure if you want , without having to re-tie both lures. All the ways mention are great and works. Try them both and see which one works for better for you. thumb
Posted By: fishluvme

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:35 AM

usually 2...I hate to get snagged and lose just 1...I been using 10 pound test, 3 pound diameter, spider wire recently and ripping logs off the bottom an straightening out hooks here and there.
Posted By: Keith Stone!

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:41 AM

If you fish 2 or more jigs in a brushpile, you better be using sliders.
Posted By: Denton_Texas

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 03:08 AM

If you would like to get more chance by using more hook w/o tangling together, you would try this Standout hook which sale at Cabelas or Bass pro shop. You can search on their website or click on the link below.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58058____SearchResults
Posted By: BigMack

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: FishFinder Frank
I only tie two jigs when fishing bridges . You can lose a whole lotta jigs pretty fast in brush if you tie on two jigs. Every one has a prefered way of tying two jigs. I prefer using a three way swivel.

I don't during the spring. Shallow fish.
Post spawn, yes 2. Mostly to find depth and color pref.

I prefer loop knot. I don't like too much hardware between me and the fish. I can feel them smell it, lick it or rub it.
Posted By: crappiegal

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time to take pics BigMack and pepop. As a visual learner that helps me tremendously.

I have learned so much here, already.
Posted By: crappiegal

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:31 PM

I would like to see how to use a slip bobber. The bobber is not set and adjust to water depth. Always wondered...
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 01:43 PM

I most always fish with one jig. First, you don't get hung up as easily and second you can control the speed your jig falls much better. It's always best in my opinion to fish the lightest jig you can for the slowest fall rate and with 2 jigs you can drop right past the crappie that may be suspended.
Posted By: ozarksecrets

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:00 PM

It just depends on conditions, time of year, and most importantly
location of fish, I agree with Stucky 76 when you are finding
suspended fish. But when they are hugging the bottom,the double rig works great. Good Luck

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:14 PM

This is a typical setup with the "stop" above the cork being adjustable.
Originally Posted By: BigMack
Here's my setup with braid on the main line and fluro or mono on the 10" leader.

Do it like this and you won't lose the whole rig when you hang up. Put on a new leader & jig & get back to fishin'.
thumb

Personally I don't use the swivel above the jig but that's just me.

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 02:39 PM

pepop mentioned standout hooks

you can tie on a regular J-hook with a palomar knot with extra long tag end & then run the tag end through the eye from the hook-point side to get the same effect.

Surprised no one mentioned wire spreaders

(hope the pics show up!)

I always thought the wire spreaders were 'the standard' for fishing tandem live minnows for crappie. (but I never used them laugh ).

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 03:49 PM

I was at Academy yesterday and couldn't find any of the "Stand-out" hooks. I'd really like to rig a minner above a jig using one. Blakemore has the Stacker Rig with a Slab-Daddy jig pre rigged but I didn't see any of those either.

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: pepop
I was at Academy yesterday and couldn't find any of the "Stand-out" hooks. I'd really like to rig a minner above a jig using one. Blakemore has the Stacker Rig with a Slab-Daddy jig pre rigged but I didn't see any of those either.

pepop try this

the bottom left pic of the set is the key step to get the hook to standout from the line with the point side up

in the pic he is using a hook for a plastic worm but a wire crappie hook could be used

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 04:37 PM

Some photo sites are blocked here at work but I'll check it out at home. Thanks.
Posted By: BigMack

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: crappiegal
I would like to see how to use a slip bobber. The bobber is not set and adjust to water depth. Always wondered...

Crappiegal, you should consider joining CAT. We post a lot of good stuff on our site including all of our seminars. I thought I knew how to fish until I spent the last few years with this bunch. I also post all of my rigs and tricks on there too. We have many members outside of Texas.
They say we're the 3rd largest club in the states now.

Slip Cork setup:

The bobber, beads & stopper are all on the braid with the leader below. This way you don't lose all when it gets hung up on brush.
thumb
Posted By: slabomatic

Re: how many jigs do u fish on one line? - 03/31/10 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76
I most always fish with one jig. First, you don't get hung up as easily and second you can control the speed your jig falls much better. It's always best in my opinion to fish the lightest jig you can for the slowest fall rate and with 2 jigs you can drop right past the crappie that may be suspended.

To save some jigs, try buying a heavy bell sinker, attach a swivel to it, when you lift jig into a snag attach the swivel sinker to your line let it freefall to the jig,,,wallah 9 times out of ten it will dislodge the jig. Reel in the sinker remove and commense fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum