Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie worm?

Posted By: fatbass04

Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 11:59 AM

was cleaning some crappie last night when I come across one that looked like it had what I would guess was some kind of worm right in the the thick of the back. Anyone every seen anything like that? Is it alright to cut it out and save the rest of the fillet? Worm was brown and hard, first time I ever came across anything like it.
Posted By: Keith Stone!

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 12:37 PM

They are supposedly fine. I always dig them out anyway.

They are called "big red worms".
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/the_big_red_worm.htm
Posted By: EJ2000

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 01:29 PM

after reading about the big red worms....i think i would toss that fish LOL
Posted By: pepop

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 02:18 PM

Guess that means no more snacking on the minners. barf I'd be willing to bet, once that filet hits 350+ degree peanut oil, whatever that worm might've left behind ain't gonna hurt you. Chunk the worm, keep the fish. IMHO

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 03:01 PM

Read that link on the "big red worm" and I don't think that's what I had. This was a rigid thicker worm or infection. I left a message with someone at TPWD and when I get home if that trash hasn't been picked up I will dig that fillet out if the neighbors cats haven't already gotten to it and take a picture.
Posted By: Ken K.

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 04:06 PM

Pretty common in some river systems/lakes. Shouldn't hurt you either way, but I always cut 'em out and cook up the rest of the filet.
Posted By: buckslayer308

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 04:14 PM

Where were you fishing fatbass? Were you on the lake or a river? I have cleaned tons of crappie and havent seen anything like that yet. Keep us posted on what you find out

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 05:17 PM

was fishing Lake Conroe. called and talked to a lady with the Fisheries Health Department and she basically said that she couldnt give me a good answer without seeing it, so it sounds like I will be digging through some garbage tonight.
Posted By: buckslayer308

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/18/10 05:23 PM

Thats crazy stuff. I have fished lake conroe since I was a kid and never found any worms of any sort in the crappie. We were out there sunday and killed the crappie. If you do get lucky and get to dig through your trash and find the worm keep us updated on what you find out
Posted By: Ernie J

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/19/10 02:05 AM

I found them in fillets from crappie on Lake Houston, sometimes. I just cut them out clean fillets good and freeze as usual. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems with me.
Posted By: CrappieTX

Re: Crappie worm? - 03/19/10 02:07 PM

I have seen them in my fillets before over several years of Crappie fishing. The only thing it hurts is your heart, when it breaks as you chunk the fillet in the trash, knowing you could have just cut it out and kept the fillet. It's fine, keep the fillet and cut the spot out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum