Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there?

Posted By: Crappie Rookie

Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 06/14/03 06:46 AM

I was lucky enough to see Tommie Tidwell at the TPW Expo last summer and he demonstrated a unique Crappie set up that I wish now I could remember. It seems it was similar to a Carolina Rig using an egg shaped (maybe 1/4 ounce) sinker with a split shot weight (I think?). Anyway he had about 6 to 8 inches of leader between the split shot and the jig and the idea was to drop that rig down in your brush pile and let the weight slightly knock into the structure. Then pick the weight up slightly with the rod tip and if nothing do it again. The good thing I liked about this technique was that you can get that jig down there fast and work your jig on a tight line. The weight "tapping" the structure will cause a reactionary strikes like many have mentioned on this board is the whole idea in the first place...Tommy, are you out there???

Crappie Rookie
An average green carp fisherman that knows nothing about anything else.
Posted By: crappie1

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 06/16/03 01:09 PM

You are right. I use a 1/2 oz. egg weight for 12 pound test and a 1/4 oz. egg weight for 8 pound test. Put the egg weight on first and then clamp the split shot about 6 inches above the jig. If I use live bait with a hook, then about 4 inches above the hook. Remember to tie a loop knot on the jig. One day last week I fished 5 hours with 4 people in the boat and we caught over 200 total crappie and no one lost a jig. We fished in thick brush the entire time.

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 06/16/03 11:39 PM

Thanks for the information on your rig, I'm going to give it a try this weekend. What is your favorite way of working it if don't mind me asking? Thanks again

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 06/17/03 12:53 PM

Hold it as still as you can just above the brush.

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 06/18/03 03:28 AM

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a shot. Are you going to present at the Texas Expo again this year?

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 06/18/03 03:07 PM

As far as I know I will be there.
Posted By: Steve-O

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 09/09/03 12:16 PM

This technique seems a lot like cannonballing.

Re: Crappie1 Rig: Tommie are you there? - 09/09/03 06:47 PM

Tommy uses a 1/32 ounce jig, with a 1/4 ounce egg weight and a split shot. That smaller jig seems to catch a lot of fish, and you can fish that tiny jig even in windy conditions. It's a finese rig that works in practically any condions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum