Texas Fishing Forum

Fancasting - How to get the feel!!

Posted By: BASSACKWARDS

Fancasting - How to get the feel!! - 06/11/03 02:25 AM

Got a 5' B-N-M Sharpshooter spooled with 6# Trilene Ultra-Thin. Have attached three jigs, two 1/32 & one 1/16 (on the bottom). While at Fork Sunday was fishing in 27-32' of water with Mr. Garmin picking up the fish at 16-20'. Would cast out towards the end piling from 18-22' and let my line sink and drift back towards me. I know in my mind that I was keeping a tight line, but it seemed as though the line would stop like it had made contact with the bottom, then I'd get a tick. Several times this happened and I ended up pulling up doubles without detecting a bite. Is it safe to say that they were light biters and when the line stopped I should have set the hook? Just trying to get this jig thing down. It was a mighty fine day, after the clouds cleared and wind died down. My first trip to stick with jigs all day, and I had a blast!!

Lunker Luck - Billy
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Fancasting - How to get the feel!! - 06/11/03 11:33 AM

You definately are doing the right thing in knowing the water depth. Real important. And yes, as you're watching your line sink and it stops "too soon to be at the bottom", set the hook. A line stopping or twitching or moving off to the left or right, is as good as feeling a bite anytime. When in doubt, set the hook.

------------------
Good fishin',
Guy Skinner
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum