Texas Fishing Forum

What type bottom do crappie prefer?

Posted By: 8LB

What type bottom do crappie prefer? - 10/31/03 03:00 PM

In lakes where there is some rock bottom and some mud or dirt bottom which do crappie prefer in winter and summer. Im in Okla and the lake I fish has some rock and mostly red clay bottom.
Posted By: David Lee

Re: What type bottom do crappie prefer? - 10/31/03 03:01 PM

In the summer I would say the rocks. Maybe winter as well. Depends on water depth and food source.

------------------
David

"Git-R-Done"
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: What type bottom do crappie prefer? - 10/31/03 04:08 PM

That's a good question.. For the most part,..Crappie prefer a hard bottom.. clean and silt free..gravel, rocks...clay are always good.. if spawning, from all I have read, crappie will not spawn in silty water.. they will move deeper for cleaner water.. the harder and cleaner the better.. that's not to say they want clear water.. they are a bit skittish in clear water..stained is also preferable.. The crappie will stay just out of sight..look at light penetration.. see how deep you can see a white bait..they will be below that

------------------

BENCHMARK MORTGAGE
972-429-9776

[This message has been edited by Wylie Crappieman (edited 10-31-2003).]
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: What type bottom do crappie prefer? - 10/31/03 06:10 PM

One advantage to wade fishing is, you get to feel the bottom. The harder the bottom the slower we fish. The softer the bottom the faster we move.

------------------
GOOD FISHING.

ERNEST
972-245-9311
www.catchcrappie.com
I LIVE FOR THE THUMP"
Posted By: Mo

Re: What type bottom do crappie prefer? - 10/31/03 08:00 PM

I know some creeks on the upper end of
LakeX that are silted in severly. Miles
of mud flats. There is riprap around
the bridge pilings. Guess where you will
catch crappie in the spring.
MO
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: What type bottom do crappie prefer? - 11/01/03 12:20 AM

One that's well planted in the boat seat, concentrating on the line movement....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum