Texas Fishing Forum

Waxahachie lake crappie

Posted By: bw94

Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/21/09 09:09 PM

anyone know where on Waxahachie lake to catch crappie?
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/21/09 09:39 PM

During the winter your best bet is to look for structure on that lake. some of the locals have dropped christmas trees in there find them and you will find crappie also. And Dont forget to look for shad . Some will also be in the creek if you can find a deep hole and don`t mind walking the banks. It has only one feeding creek that runs under I-35 to the lake. In the Spring the south back part of the lake warms up first fish the stickups near the long silver pipeline in 2 to 3 feet of water with a bobber. I tore them up back there one season. Good luck
Posted By: Marc

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/21/09 09:47 PM

don't for get the RR trustle, it usually yields some bigguns too
Posted By: Mike-thetoolman

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/21/09 10:31 PM

I thought I saw you over there Marc
Posted By: Bardwell

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/21/09 10:51 PM

Around the tower on the dam used to hold some really nice fish and numbers too. I have sat out there at night with lights and caught quite few. It's been years ago though. It is inside of the bouys, that clearly say no boats!

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/22/09 01:21 AM

Those are usually the best spots, the ones that tell you to keep out. I mainly fish for catfish at the lake, but i would like to get one some crappie, I know around the island there is supposed to be some brush piles, but i haven't had any luck find them
Posted By: sloedown

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/22/09 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: bw94
Those are usually the best spots, the ones that tell you to keep out. I mainly fish for catfish at the lake, but i would like to get one some crappie, I know around the island there is supposed to be some brush piles, but i haven't had any luck find them

I couldn't find them either

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/22/09 04:28 AM

Maybe we'll have to make our own!

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/22/09 04:31 AM

Tell me when............
Posted By: Team Jesus Pro Staff

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/22/09 07:14 PM

this time of the year i find them stacked up at the end of the swimming area in about 18 foot of water but they all 8 or 9 inches long if you know where the brush is it usally produces 1 or 2 nice slabs
Posted By: gander

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/22/09 11:09 PM

Not to change the subject but,does this lake have decent ramps and do they have a dock to tie off to while parking truck ....Thanks for any info

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/23/09 03:47 AM

"A" has a dock to tie off to . Copy and paste :: .http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/waxahachie/access.phtml
Posted By: Stumpjumper14

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/23/09 08:06 AM

Where is the RR trussle?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/23/09 11:26 AM

From the lake you have to go down the creek on the shallow end.See my post above this one. It is a map of the lake.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/23/09 06:12 PM

it in the back of the creek that feeds the lake from i35 west end of the lake be real care going back there there are a lot of stumps just under the water line they are on both sides of the creek banks if i was you i would idle in if you dont know what you are doing or going you will regret it

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/24/09 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Team Jesus Pro Staff
if you know where the brush is it usally produces 1 or 2 nice slabs

Do you know where the brush piles are?
Posted By: filthyphil

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/26/09 11:46 PM

In the water?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/27/09 02:31 AM

Really, no wonder i wasn't catching anything!
Posted By: filthyphil

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/27/09 04:31 AM

I couldn't resist that. If you manage to find the crappie in hachie share the love. I know a place off the bank that's decent at times, but is kind of a pain to get to. I'm gonna try and get out there next week some time, and try that train tressle.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/29/09 01:38 AM

Do you fish waxahachie much?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/29/09 01:49 AM

I know where a lot of brush is i am fixing to build somemore after the first I am still waiting for the locals to put there trees out on the curbs in town that's when I start I mostly add to what I have put out in the past there are some new ones out there that need some building onto also
Posted By: Gonzz

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/30/09 09:43 PM

I just started fishing this lake. Gonna try fishing for some crappie on Friday. Seems like a nice lake

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 12/31/09 01:08 AM

All the time this is my home lake I been fishing hatchie for 20 years

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/05/10 09:32 PM

anyone know where to get any christmas trees around Waxahachie?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/05/10 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Gonzz
I just started fishing this lake. Gonna try fishing for some crappie on Friday. Seems like a nice lake

I got a few nice crappie last Saturday on the lake.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/06/10 12:29 AM

Where on the lake, if you don't mind me asking?
Posted By: RedTopLady

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/06/10 12:46 AM

BPs around the island, on the dam side is the best, water is deeper there.

Come cut my cedar limbs, all you want and each limb is a tree in it's self.

Posted By: No Net Needed

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/06/10 03:56 AM

Follow the old road bed across the lake. 30+ foot of water. Hit the baitballs. Seems to be better in the cold.
Posted By: jwfos22

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/06/10 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RedTopLady
BPs around the island, on the dam side is the best, water is deeper there.

Come cut my cedar limbs, all you want and each limb is a tree in it's self.

I'll come and do it for ya. I need some more BP's thumb Just let me know when

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/06/10 11:02 PM

Around the island in 30ft of water..

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/07/10 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Gonzz

Around the island in 30ft of water..

Thanks Gonzz, I'm going to try to go out there Sun.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/07/10 09:04 PM

I might see you out there if the temps get better.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/07/10 09:09 PM

Gotta wait until some of this mud dries up, my yard is a swamp right now. But, I am happy for you to cut all you want. I am pretty sure you would rather wait until this weather is not so cold. eeks

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/08/10 06:32 AM

I fish the lake a good bit. Catchin most around the east side of island. Just east of old roadbed. Not alot of structure...find the shad. There are a couple of good spots around the perimeter on no fishing area at water intake. Game warden may be busy this time of year but wouldn't chance the tower. He isn't ashamed to write a ticket. Swimming area holds some fish in the trees and haven't caught zip in the creek. 30 ft water seems to be best where the shad are schooling.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/08/10 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/11/10 06:28 PM

i graphed some brush pile two weekends ago on waxahachie if i can figure out how to add pics to this thread i would show you them and the fish i caught off them

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/11/10 06:30 PM

Download your pictures to something like Photobucket (it is free) and use the img.link.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/11/10 06:31 PM

or better than that i can text or email them to someone then they can add them to this thread

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/12/10 03:21 AM

Got Cedars on the ground seasoned. Would need to cut limbs as trees are rather large. Have made some brush ready to put in the lake but fishin has got in the way. I am in the Waxahachie area. Surely I have enough to make some pretty good brush piles. I pushed the trees last summer and I also have some that were pushed two weeks ago. In piles for the animals right now but would make good brush piles.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/12/10 04:09 AM

My post didn't go. I have cedar trees cut. Will need to trim limbs from larger trees. Some cut last summer and some cut two weeks ago. Live in Waxahachie area. Probably enough for a pretty good bunch of brush piles. Currently just pushed into piles for the animals and birds.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/18/10 01:52 AM

Any updates on the crappie fishing here? I am going to try to catch a few around noon on Monday for a few hours.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/18/10 03:25 AM

Let us know how it goes, i'm gonna try to go out there Thursday.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/18/10 06:27 PM

I have a chain saw and a boat. Will help put some of No Net Needed brush piles out. Any volunteers?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/18/10 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: sloedown
I have a chain saw and a boat. Will help put some of No Net Needed brush piles out. Any volunteers?

When do you want to do it? I am going out there now for a few hours to try to get some crappie. Just got back from the lake. it's way to windy for me today. gusting around 28MPH.
Posted By: liv2fish

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/19/10 02:16 AM

I moved to Waxahachie last year, during the spring there are always people fishing the creek under I-35. I went for the first time today, very good looking creek deep water and some cover but couldn't find any fish. Are there any winter crappie here, would it be worth it to put in a canoe and go upstream? Any help appreciated!

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/21/10 06:28 PM

only time i catch crappie in the creek is late feb early march before the sandies start running

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/22/10 01:04 AM

Are ya'll using jigs or minnows?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/22/10 07:37 AM

I was using minnows. I just bought some jigs today.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/22/10 06:46 PM

i use minnows with a slip cork i use the rubberband that comes on the minnow bag and tie it on top of the slip cork to regulate the depth the minnow can go down

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/22/10 06:50 PM

i didnt start using jigs until this summer i was going through to many minnows on them small 8and 9 inch crappie

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/23/10 12:25 AM

Went out today for a few hours. no bites. The wind was real bad.. gusting to 24 MPH.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/24/10 02:35 AM

Anyone hitting up Waxahachie Lake tomorrow?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/24/10 02:37 AM

maybe

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/24/10 02:48 AM

What is the weather like tomorrow? What time you guys going?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/24/10 03:08 AM

I have to wait till my grandkids get picked up. Hopefully not to late.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/24/10 03:47 AM

It might be a little windy, 10-15, gusts to 20mph. High of around 63. I'm going to try to get out there around noon.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/24/10 03:54 AM

Yes, I did just check the weather for tomorrow and I know that lake, from the direction it's gonna blow I think I will save my day for Tues. Gonna be warmer and lighter winds then. Good luck tomorrow.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/25/10 01:31 AM

I was real windy out there today, fished off of the bank, with no luck.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/25/10 05:57 AM

Sloedown looks like me and you on the brush piles...unless we can drag Ol Crusty with us ...also known as Capt. Porky Pine or Ragged Edge!!!!! He might be a player!

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/25/10 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: No Net Needed
Sloedown looks like me and you on the brush piles...unless we can drag Ol Crusty with us ...also known as Capt. Porky Pine or Ragged Edge!!!!! He might be a player!

Are you guys going Monday?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 01/29/10 05:34 PM

well here we go again fellas i love this rain if the weather would stay stable the creek is calling my name by this time next month it should be on

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 02/05/10 11:48 PM

Tried my luck today and nothing.. Anyone wanna try this weekend? Back seat is open.. PM me

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 02/16/10 10:37 PM

Has anyone been, lately?
Posted By: cody.sandhoff

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 06/11/17 05:14 AM

Headed out early tomorrow morning before the wind get up. Caught 2 last week along the pipeline. Anyone have any recommendations for summer?

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 06/11/17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cody.sandhoff
Headed out early tomorrow morning before the wind get up. Caught 2 last week along the pipeline. Anyone have any recommendations for summer?
What time Monday morning?I may just join you!
Posted By: cody.sandhoff

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 06/13/17 04:51 AM

Sorry Horace. Didn't realize it was already Sunday when I posted.
Posted By: jma

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 07/21/17 09:06 PM

Hello y'all. I need help. I have 3 kids and1 on the way with a needy wife. Can any of y'all tell me the best area to bank fish for crappie. You know any location of cribs or brush shelters that I can cast to from the bank? I understand if you don't want to give it away. PM me and I'll keep it to myself. Please help. Thank you.

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 07/21/17 09:22 PM

I don`t want to dampen your spirit but you are`nt going to catch very many Crappie from the bank @ Waxahachie during these dog days of summer.CATFISH... now that`s another story thumb welcome to the forum jma
Posted By: jma

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 07/22/17 03:55 PM

Hello y'all. I need help. I have 3 kids and1 on the way with a needy wife. Can any of y'all tell me the best area to bank fish for crappie. You know any location of cribs or brush shelters that I can cast to from the bank? I understand if you don't want to give it away. PM me and I'll keep it to myself. Please help. Thank you.
Posted By: high planes drifter

Re: Waxahachie lake crappie - 07/22/17 04:30 PM

I actually enjoy fishing under the bridges at Joe Pool Lake with minnows or artificial blue feather jigs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum