Texas Fishing Forum

Gender Changed...

Posted By: SLABmeSILLY

Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 12:56 PM

Alright, here is the question I have...
Lately, I pull out quite a few white looking (females) crappies. Thinking that I've caught either 1/2 spawned or completely spawned crappies. I was also thinking that this was getting close to the end of it. Anyway, only to realize that they were all males. When I removed them from the livewells to the cooler was when they turned completely black like their normal selves this time of year.

Any explanation why they are so white during the catch and change gender in captivity?

I've notice this happened when the cold front hit w/ new rain. The bites are very slow and soft. Some weren't even hitting the jig, just moved it sideway (watch your line).

Anyone have had this same scenario?
Posted By: James007

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 01:04 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. Had a GW stop by when a buddy and I were fishing Arrowhead 2 weeks ago, asked how we were doing and told him we have caught a few females. Then when he asked to see them they were "dark'. He laughed and said that they are just beginning to come in and that we should be happy. He said they must have just come in to "start" getting things ready!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 01:21 PM

hmm, all ours have been really dark...
Posted By: BAND OF BROTHERS

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 01:23 PM

Caught three females yesterday on Ray Bob and all still had eggs.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 02:49 PM

The varying water levels this year has made for one of the most frustrating spring spawns that I can remember. All N. Texas lakes are full or over full, so the Corp is letting water out of each of them, and as soon as the level goes down some (and the crappie start to come back up), here comes another 'frog drownder' of a rain, and up it cames again. As a result of that, many of the fish are holding their eggs waiting for stabilization. Remember, nothing says that they have to spawn in April, May, or whatever. And some of the fish will not spawn this year at all; instead absorbing their eggs.

The white males that you caught CV, most likely just came out of deeper water and hadn't had time to change to their darker colors. When you put them in the well and left them there for a while...they changed.

If this year is anyone's "first spawn year"...don't even bother to try to remember what happened, cause it will hopefully not happen again for a LONG time.
Posted By: James Rains

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 03:53 PM

its all about those hormones kinda like a woman to scared to understand it

Posted By: SLABmeSILLY

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 04:11 PM

A logical question deserved a logical answer.

Thanks Mr. Skinner...well elaboration!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy Skinner
The varying water levels this year has made for one of the most frustrating spring spawns that I can remember. All N. Texas lakes are full or over full, so the Corp is letting water out of each of them, and as soon as the level goes down some (and the crappie start to come back up), here comes another 'frog drownder' of a rain, and up it cames again. As a result of that, many of the fish are holding their eggs waiting for stabilization. Remember, nothing says that they have to spawn in April, May, or whatever. And some of the fish will not spawn this year at all; instead absorbing their eggs.

The white males that you caught CV, most likely just came out of deeper water and hadn't had time to change to their darker colors. When you put them in the well and left them there for a while...they changed.

If this year is anyone's "first spawn year"...don't even bother to try to remember what happened, cause it will hopefully not happen again for a LONG time.

thanks, I am going crazy, (not a far drive in my case) trying to remember all this grin
Posted By: CrappieMaster

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 11:28 PM

I believe it's from stress. They weren't stressed until they went into the livewell, that's what caused them to change colors'
GoodLuck
CrappieMaster
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/28/08 11:55 PM

I've seen it happen many times.

I agree with Guy, this is the worst spring I've seen in years. I'm ready for this spawning thing to be over. Should make for a great summer with more fish to be caught.
Posted By: FallsOutBoatOften

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/29/08 12:52 AM

They thought they had found their spawning depth when they hit that 8 inch, warm water in the live well, so they turned black. I've had that happen a hundred times and thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
Posted By: CrappieMaster

Re: Gender Changed... - 04/29/08 02:24 AM

The spawn has been OK for me. I'll try to explain it the way I understand what happens to the fish. It's kind of like when a turkey gets agrivated and his head turns blood red or when you catch a (saltwater) dolfin and he lights up, it's the same kind of thing. The crappie are begining to relax from spanwing and when you caught him and put him on the livewell he lit up again.
CrappieMaster
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum