Texas Fishing Forum

New To Fishing and To Forum

Posted By: slingshot1027

New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 01:39 AM

Hi to everyone. I a mew to all this including fishing...lol my dad and I never really fished much together. I hope to change that for my son. Anyway I live close to lewisville lake and I have been reading everyones post and taking notes. You guys are great thanks for everything so far. Also I am wondering if there is any kind of technic that I need to use for crappie fishing with a jig? Sorry for the stupid question. Also would it be to late to start setting crappie condos I have read about? So many qeustions so little time...lol Thanks
Posted By: woodrow

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 01:58 AM

You can put crappie condos in year round. Don't move the jig. Start at the bottom and work it up very slowly. When you catch one know the depth and fish there. They should be very shallow now. fish around any stick up and be patient.

welcome and good luck
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 05:31 AM

Here is my preferred method of dangling a jig for crappie when fishing off of any type of dock or floating fishing barge.

Let rod tip point towards the water, like the 7 or 8 o'clock position. Let your jig into the water, pull out a few strips of line and let it fade out of your sight. Lightly tap (dip) the rod tip (no more than an inch of movement), wait, pause, pause, pause, tap again. If no crappie, strip off one or two more strips of line, (**note a strip is the measurement from your reel to the first guide on the rod your hand would touch)...tap, wait, pause, pause, pause...tap...if no crappie strip again.

This usually works very well around brush or brush piles that are used to bait out docks or barges.

Another way of approached this is to let your jig go completely to the bottom (incase some brush is on the bottom and the fish too)...gentley lift the rod tip slowly to see if there is any indication of brush, if there is you will finesse the jig a bit until freed from the bowels of the brush, but don't completely pull out of the brush....now, tap, pause, pause, pause,...tap again, pause, pause, pause...this time, if no crappie, gather up your line in your hand, kinda like a figure-eight hand and twist retrieve used in flyfishing...repeast the tap, pause, pause, pause...tap, pause, pause, pause....bringing the jig towards the surface....

Try both methods if fishing off of a dock or fishing barge...very successful method of fishing jigs for me, worked very well for many, many years and many, many fish fry's I might add.

Cheers!

Jeff
Posted By: slingshot1027

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 06:27 AM

Thanks you so much you guys are the best! Kinda sad I am 30 years old and just learning but as the say better late then never. Keep the tips coming and again thanks.
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 07:59 AM

Slingshot1027,
Welcome aboard...
You need to join our crappie club CAT Crappie Anglers of Texas...
There's a web site you can go to to find out more info....(crappieclub.org)I believe this will help you learn so you can pass it on to the Children.....
See you at the next meeting Monday evening at the Carrollton Public Library room 202 At approxitmately 6:00 p.m.
Jigum
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 09:51 AM

welcome aboard sling shot- you can learn a lot here and don't be afraid to ask questions
Posted By: Team Cornmeal

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 11:25 AM

welcome sling shot you can get good advice here
Posted By: ms_jones

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 12:05 PM

I'm new too. I use to fish as a kid with my brothers and miss the good times we had.
Posted By: Bob # 1

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: slingshot1027
Hi to everyone. I a mew to all this including fishing...lol my dad and I never really fished much together.Thanks

Welcome Newbie, from a Newbie, I am in the same boat as you,
my dad took me fishing once. I took my children often,
now that I reflect back not enough.

Trying to make it up with grandchildren.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 12:44 PM

From Toledo Bend Texas!

This time of year I use jigs trolling with my troll motor and also fishing a jig under a bobber. Cast it out and let it sit a bit, then pull it in a foot or so and then pause, then pull and then pause. Keep that up until you get a hit or back to you and then cast out and start over again.

This time of year I really like fishing around the grass (Hydrilla) weather it be the bobber or the trolling method.

Good Luck,
Skip

PS To You too Bob # 1.
Posted By: Bob # 1

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip_48
From Toledo Bend Texas!

This time of year I use jigs trolling with my troll motor and also fishing a jig under a bobber. Cast it out and let it sit a bit, then pull it in a foot or so and then pause, then pull and then pause. Keep that up until you get a hit or back to you and then cast out and start over again.

This time of year I really like fishing around the grass (Hydrilla) weather it be the bobber or the trolling method.

Good Luck,
Skip

PS To You too Bob # 1.

Thanks for the welcome Skip
Posted By: monkester

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 05:50 PM

Lots of good infomation given here. Take what you read and go try it out.
Posted By: al jones

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 09:02 PM

Welcome aboard...to all the new members! banana

-Al
Posted By: texasblueheron

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 09:27 PM

Welcome and I recommend that you pick up a copy of Ernest Paty's video on crappie fishing. He also did a seminar a while back that has some great info.
Posted By: Crappie Chaser

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 10:23 PM

Slingshot, welcome buddy! Plenty of good folks on here willing to share great tips on the slab fishing! smile

Purchases, Refinancing, Cashouts, Reverse Mortgages
Home Loans for Less, Texas Licensed Loan Officer
Call Jay @ cell: 972-900-6150
Wholesale Rates = Low Rates

Posted By: KRAPPIE KAT

Re: New To Fishing and To Forum - 04/05/08 11:51 PM

THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET INFO ON FISHING. MY DAD NEVER TOOK ME FISHING EITHER. I AM TRING TO GET MY KIDS INTO IT AS WELL.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum