Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie fishing on Granger

Posted By: IMRedeemed

Crappie fishing on Granger - 12/04/23 09:18 PM

Anyone been out to Granger lately and done any good?

I was out there a couple of times over the past couple of weeks. Fishing has been REAL SLOW!! They're not on stumps or brush piles, either shallow or out to 20'. Same with hardwood/standing timber up the main river arm. I did not make it way up the San Gabriel arm yet, but was thinking of giving it a try.

Even the local guide has been reporting crappie have been really slow on Granger.

Thx.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Crappie fishing on Granger - 12/06/23 04:13 PM

from what ive learned, the vast majority of the crappie empty out of the main lake in late fall and winter on Granger.
this tends to be common on primarily shallow lakes such as Granger.
maybe try some night fishing in the river . I recall the locals used to go build a fire on the bank for some warmth and light and do pretty good fishing minnows under lighted floats.. be patient, because in river systems the crappie will move back and forth, chasing the shad around all night.. crappie can get on patterns where they feed heavily at night, and then get tight up to cover during daylight hours to digest thier food, and just wont bite.
Maybe bring a castnet with you and try to catch some shad
try to find a place in the river that makes a hard bend, and has a fairly steep drop on the outside of the bend.
pay close attention to the bird locations. if you find gulls, terns, cormorants set up at the mouth of the river, that would be a great place to start.
double rigs set at different depths will help you zero in in on them.
Posted By: billyfish

Re: Crappie fishing on Granger - 12/21/23 11:53 PM

A good friend has been catching em. A limit every time, no b\p or stumps. Just go looking for em open water and keep moving!!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Crappie fishing on Granger - 12/22/23 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by leanin post
from what ive learned, the vast majority of the crappie empty out of the main lake in late fall and winter on Granger.
this tends to be common on primarily shallow lakes such as Granger.
maybe try some night fishing in the river . I recall the locals used to go build a fire on the bank for some warmth and light and do pretty good fishing minnows under lighted floats.. be patient, because in river systems the crappie will move back and forth, chasing the shad around all night.. crappie can get on patterns where they feed heavily at night, and then get tight up to cover during daylight hours to digest thier food, and just wont bite.
Maybe bring a castnet with you and try to catch some shad
try to find a place in the river that makes a hard bend, and has a fairly steep drop on the outside of the bend.
pay close attention to the bird locations. if you find gulls, terns, cormorants set up at the mouth of the river, that would be a great place to start.
double rigs set at different depths will help you zero in in on them.

Excellent post!! Very interesting information.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Crappie fishing on Granger - 12/26/23 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by billyfish
A good friend has been catching em. A limit every time, no b\p or stumps. Just go looking for em open water and keep moving!!

are you speaking of a guy named coltor ? I recently heard he grew up on granger and is doing good livescoping open water roamers.. most of the winter fishing ive done on granger has been done without livescope, so maybe the fish were always there, but pretty much impossible to target them without the new technology.. it may be small schools that come out of the rivers time to time, looking for baitfish it the main lake,. granger is not very deep, so thats why I think that may be the case..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum