Texas Fishing Forum

Lago Heuco (lake waco).

Posted By: leanin post

Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/16/22 05:14 AM

Hadnt seen any reports on waco recently so heres what I found.. last friday we found fish from 6 to 14 feet on main lake piles.. getting the to bite was the challenge.. lots of short strikes and losing them at the gunwales.. I think we ended up with abt 13. being we were fishing during the bright moon cycle, I figured the bite would be diminished.
This friday we fished from around 2 to 7 pm and the crappie cooperated much better. the shallower piles are holding less fish but they were active... the magic depth is 13 feet.. small and large piles are stacked pretty good.. jig color or size doesnt seem to matter much, but we did switch size and color if the bite slacked off a bit. crappie nibbles seemed to help too. fish are holding very tight to the piles, so you have to put it right in front of them, hold it still as long as u can stand it , then slowly move it up.
with the lake being so low, there just arent a whole lot of piles in the 13 foot range right now, but if you locate the ones there are, they will likely be holding fish. I think this pattern will hold for another week or two. fish will start moving off of the piles gathering near main lake points, drop offs, ledges .ect.. in the next few weeks we will see larger fish on the brush that are alot more aggressive and the pattern will change, where we will quickly move from spot to spot, catching the big aggressive fish off of them.. when we start seeing mostly small fish on brushpiles and the water cools, we will start looking deep. with the water being so low, I think most of the crappie will stay in the main lake, where on years of normal pool many go up the north bosque river. a few good rains can change everything though.
The crappie on waco are fairly thick this year, we didnt catch any mega hogs, but some nice freeezer fillers. [Linked Image]

Posted By: SK.

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/16/22 03:56 PM

Nice analysis of the conditions and some nice catches.... Stay At'um LP.....
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/16/22 09:09 PM

crazy how many crappie are in that lake especially with how many get kept.

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/17/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro xp
crazy how many crappie are in that lake especially with how many get kept.

yep, its a jewel for sure!!! lots of great spawning areas but with the drought conditions for several years, its no where near how it was 6 or 7 years ago.. 100 fish brushpiles were common.. fish were generally very skinny though. this year is the thickest Ive seen them in 12 years. we need several good rains in the right areas to get the lake up before spawn. as long as the crappie can get a good spawn in , it should continue to thrive.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/17/22 02:38 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/18/22 09:03 PM

Wowwwwwwww! ! ! I Love seeing that table full of fish. Great Fishin’ Y’all.

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/19/22 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jezreel
Wowwwwwwww! ! ! I Love seeing that table full of fish. Great Fishin’ Y’all.

im going to do more wintertime fishing this year, hope to get that elusive 2 pounder that ive heard abt on waco.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lago Heuco (lake waco). - 10/21/22 12:28 PM

WTG! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum