Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat?

Posted By: Ben Ther

Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/11/22 11:54 PM

Are the crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/12/22 02:35 AM

Google your question,...then decide.

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/12/22 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Google your question,...then decide.

google it yourself jerk!!

Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/12/22 01:11 PM

sorry Ben,...just thought you should see all the history behind your question. Have a nice day.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/12/22 10:05 PM

I personally would not eat anything from lake worth regardless
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/12/22 10:39 PM

Tpwd does extensive testing on this type of stuff. The last I checked there was no consumption ban on crappie. You should double check my work as I could be wrong, but tpwd will tell you if there is or isn’t a consumption ban.

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/12/22 11:41 PM

Actually I did check Google before posting. I just thought it was something good to talk about. As a matter of fact I just talked to a guy at my lake just today who said he would not eat out of there. A lot of people still think different things about it.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/13/22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ben Ther
Actually I did check Google before posting. I just thought it was something good to talk about. As a matter of fact I just talked to a guy at my lake just today who said he would not eat out of there. A lot of people still think different things about it.

Different Strokes for Different Folks & so on & etc .etc. coolio
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/13/22 06:08 PM

Here's what TPWD says about the lake. The OKlahoma wildlife department used to have a video showing that if you fillet a fish and discard the belly fat and skin, you will get rid of most of the harmful toxins, as they reside in the fish fat. I looked for it but cannot find the video anymore.

Best idea is to go to a lake without a consumption ban.

Revised: Lake Worth and Trinity River upstream to Eagle Mountain Lake in Tarrant County

polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
dioxins

Persons should not consume smallmouth buffalo from these waters.
For flathead catfish, adults are advised to limit consumption to one 8-ounce meal per month. Women of childbearing age and children under 12 should not consume flathead catfish.
For blue catfish, striped bass, white bass, and common carp, adults should limit consumption to two 8-ounce meals per month. Women of childbearing age and children under 12 should limit consumption to one 4-ounce meal per month.
For freshwater drum, adults are advised to limit consumption to three 8-ounce meals per month. Children and women of childbearing age should not eat more than one 4-ounce meal per month.
This replaces a previous advisory issued in 2010. Get details
Posted By: secjcc

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/13/22 06:14 PM

Last time I looked there was a consumption advisory not a ban. So many ounces a month, judging by the ounces per month it is better than Eagle Mountian since they dredged it. Water looks WAY cleaner than it use too.
Posted By: JCBYEN

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/13/22 06:35 PM

I caught and ate crappie, sand bass, and catfish from LW just about every week from the late 60's to the mid 80's.
Posted By: TheThumpChump

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/15/22 05:56 PM

There is no advisory on the crappie there. But I'd still prefer to err on the safe side. Best way to approach it is to only keep the younger, smaller fish 10" to 11-12". Trim any noticeable fat. Mark them as Lake Worth when you freeze them. Only eat them once a month or so.
Posted By: AGSWON

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/24/22 02:59 AM

Catch some from there and give it to your neighbors and see if anything bad happens. yes
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Crappie from Lake Worth ok to eat? - 09/24/22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by AGSWON
Catch some from there and give it to your neighbors and see if anything bad happens. yes

Great idea.

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum