Texas Fishing Forum

Summer Crappie Fishing?

Posted By: Ltcm09

Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/13/22 02:27 PM

Just got livescope and spotlock trolling motor and have found a ton of crappie but boy are they hard to make bite this time of year. Ive heard they go crazy during the fall is this true? Also would night fishing during the summer be better? Even the mornings are slow they just stare at live bait
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/13/22 04:16 PM

Don't know what lake your doing, but I have found using the smallest yellow jig catch them for me. I use like 6-8 pound line and I think the jig are 16th Oz. and have the fine hairy tail, not the plastic curly tails and no spinner blades. And run super quite. Straight vertical, with a 4" jig action.

I am jealous of the killer sonar and spotlock TM , heck I would have as much fun using that new equipment lol. Good luck catching these finicky slabs.

Incidentally just what lake you fishing and what depth are you scoping them? I have usually found them with the water Temps 85 degree area, in 20 to 25 feet and in the underwater brush and snags.
Posted By: rh47

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/13/22 04:45 PM

you sure you are seeing crappie? how about a screen shot?

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/13/22 04:46 PM

I may try a small fly or something tiny

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/13/22 04:47 PM

I caught a couple of them big crappie but could also be brim
Posted By: FishKiller

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/14/22 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ltcm09
I caught a couple of them big crappie but could also be brim

Huh?!?
Posted By: SK.

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/16/22 09:44 AM

"Sometimes" allowing them to be able to stare at it is why you're "not" get'n bit..... fish bolt
Posted By: TheThumpChump

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/16/22 06:03 PM

They don't go crazy, but they start feeding up. There are still down periods and uninterested fish you will run across.
Night fishing is better for you without the sun beating you down. You can have a successful trip fishing around a light, perhaps.
You have to try to get a reaction bite at times, as mentioned right above me.
Small profiles are good during summer
No clue on the brim stuff
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/16/22 07:13 PM

Summer is great for crappie. Sunny days in the scorching heat is the best time to fish for them, bunches them up on brush piles. Downsize, downsize, downsize is the key. A 1” bait is usually good on a 1/16 or 1/32 oz head and a #6 hook.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Summer Crappie Fishing? - 08/17/22 02:24 PM

I'm using small baits this time of year! 1/8oz if I can get away with it. 1/16 sometimes. Stay on the move!! :thumb

They'll bite better when the water cools down some.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum