Texas Fishing Forum

My take on spring crappie fishing

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 04:54 AM

Everyone always talks about fishing the spring crappie bite, and the bank angler loves it because it’s the time of year theyre accessible from the bank. I myself cant stand it. It’s the ultimate patterning nightmare, there one day gone the next. I prefer the winter bite and the summer/postspawn bite. Easiest times to pattern the fish and the most predictable weather patterns. May/June is probably my favorite time to fish for them. Anyone else ready for the spawn to be over?
Posted By: just one more

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 12:43 PM

X2
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 12:55 PM

Agree.
Post spawn is the best for sure!!
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 01:25 PM

bang ben on the struggle bus,fished sunday 5 hrs at least 2 bites , had my fav spot pretty much to myself. I know why they were not shallow?? didnt hear hardly even carp thrashin round.. Guess the nw wind was to blame. Anyone fish the tourny. Was it tuff??? Goin today bout 9am. If you see a Merc with Lightin bolts come by say hi.
Posted By: Crappie Cat

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 01:56 PM

Winter is better
especially when you can actually get a parking
spot at the boat ramps .
Posted By: Desull

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 02:10 PM

I agree postspawn and winter bites are the best. The spawn can be fun but it is mostly a headache trying to stay with them. This year has been much slower for me than normal. Last week I checked a brushpile in 20fow. I was excited to see a few fish were on it. It won't be long and the good fishing will be back.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 02:20 PM

I really only fish for them during the spawn so no I do not want it to be over! I do agree it is frustrating when one day is hero day then next day is hmmm! I am addicted to the hunt every year thumb
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 02:58 PM

Couple weeks ago on Fork we were catching spawning fish in 20ft of water in the base of trees, and spawning fish in 20ft of water laying eggs 5ft down. Crazy time of year but I love it.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 03:04 PM

I hear you. I no longer beat the bank in the spring with a jig and bobber. The wind at PK makes doing this a miserable experience and I usually fish all day for just a hand full of crappie. I catch far more LM Bass doing that. This time of year, I fish the deep shady docks. I can tie up and I catch a lot more fish.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 05:23 PM

I like to let them spawn, then I stick them in the timber from May thru October
Posted By: huntfish308

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 06:02 PM

I'm with the OP, I'm tired of hunting crappie already. This has been a particularly frustrating year on LBJ with the ups and downs in the weather.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 07:40 PM

I hate the spawn. Too inconsistent
Posted By: rickt300

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/19/22 11:20 PM

Well it is a fickle time but I had a blast doing it today. Jig and bobber, 7 bass one 24 inches long, 5 crappie only two keepers. 3 hours well spent.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/20/22 12:31 AM

I agree but for different reasons. I just do not like to fish when they are spawning . I don't think it is much of a challenge.

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/20/22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by BrazosRiverTom
I agree but for different reasons. I just do not like to fish when they are spawning . I don't think it is much of a challenge.

It’s the other way around for me. If i know a lake and it’s post spawn/summer, I can zip right over a brush pile I have marked, drop a buoy, and have a dozen fish in the boat before I have my first snag. In the spawn they’re spread out and a pain to pattern, here one day, gone the next.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/20/22 01:24 AM

I 💯 agree! Summer and winter are better. Spring spawn there are too many people out there trying to catch them. I like the quite.
Posted By: Tim nichols

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/21/22 01:23 AM

My buddy and myself were talking about that last night we both hate fishing the spawn.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/21/22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
May/June is probably my favorite time to fish for them.

Me too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/21/22 08:00 PM

I agree with OP totally. The spawn also correlates with super windy weather in Texas so the fish are scattered and the wind makes it even tougher.

So.....is anyone catching them on a post spawn pattern yet? I'm ready!
Posted By: jig master

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/21/22 08:39 PM

My favorite time to fish for them crappie is the shallow bite from 6 inches to foot and a half and I can’t get enough as it’s starting to be slimmer on the limits. !!

PS The boat docks are putting out some numbers too somewhere at your nearest lakes. Go get em !!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/21/22 10:44 PM

Haven’t been on a good jig bite in at least week and a half. Today found them in 12” of water on brush wading! Crazy good bite in wind protected cove.

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/22/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Crappie Ford Man
I agree with OP totally. The spawn also correlates with super windy weather in Texas so the fish are scattered and the wind makes it even tougher.

I found what I thought were post spawn fish stacked up on a brush pile last weekend. Was the only pile with significant amounts of fish and they were pre spawn fish! On top of that gale forces winds made it difficult to stay on it. Shouldn’t be long until there are some full brush piles, I’d guess another 2-3 weeks.
Posted By: jig master

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/22/22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Originally Posted by Crappie Ford Man

I found what I thought were post spawn fish stacked up on a brush pile last weekend. Was the only pile with significant amounts of fish and they were pre spawn fish! On top of that gale forces winds made it difficult to stay on it. Shouldn’t be long until there are some full brush piles, I’d guess another 2-3 weeks.

Stick and move stick and move still finding them in creeks with ok numbers mainly on brush in middle , some still on banks and on docks!! Been slaying since end of feb !!. Look for brush tops etc put the time in you will catch if not none on one bank we find a ton on another that’s usually the shady bank. Shade is the ticket even on docks !! It’s prime time !!! Good luck !!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/22/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by huntfish308
I'm with the OP, I'm tired of hunting crappie already. This has been a particularly frustrating year on LBJ with the ups and downs in the weather.

Wind and late season cold fronts have made this year a challenge.

It seems i catch the biggest crappie on brush piles in the fall, September and October.

Wife said I can’t keep anymore crappie, too many in the freezer already……lol.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/22/22 11:45 PM

Personally I hate spring time crappie fishing. Everyday is a challenge, wind, cold fronts etc.

I prefer anytime else of the year. I usually fish my slip in spring. Have been doing real well there until this week.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/23/22 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
Personally I hate spring time crappie fishing. Everyday is a challenge, wind, cold fronts etc.

I prefer anytime else of the year. I usually fish my slip in spring. Have been doing real well there until this week.

Well if I am fishing I am not mowing or cutting limbs down, painting or whatever else the wife wants done. I get up and go before she gets out of bed and leave my phone in the truck. I LOVE spring time fishing!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/23/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc
I hate the spawn. Too inconsistent

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: My take on spring crappie fishing - 04/23/22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY

Well if I am fishing I am not mowing or cutting limbs down, painting or whatever else the wife wants done. I get up and go before she gets out of bed and leave my phone in the truck. I LOVE spring time fishing!

Ha ha, nailed it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum