Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie are starting to bite at PK

Posted By: PKfishin

Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/14/22 03:48 AM

Caught 10 nice ones under deep docks along with a few Channel cats and stripers. All caught on shiners from 10 to 30 feet deep.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/14/22 04:36 AM

OMG cheers
Posted By: pop r

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/14/22 11:47 AM

Well done! food thumb
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/14/22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by pop r
Well done! food thumb
Posted By: TheThumpChump

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/14/22 05:48 PM

Nice job
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/14/22 06:37 PM

Haven't been out there chasing the crappie in probably over a month. If i can get my trailer put back together and some new rubber hopefully i can be there this weekend.

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/15/22 05:57 PM

Fish Killer, I hope you do not need any parts to fix your trailer. I had my prop come off last week and had a very hard time finding one. Finally had to ship one in from Broken Arrow OK. The backlog part list is huge at Cabelas in Allen, as is the list of boats in the shop waiting on parts. Some have been waiting six months.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/17/22 09:24 PM

PKfishin, if the wind ever lets up I am ready to go. Just that it is hard in winds higher than 15 mph. I have only been going there about every 2 months or so I just to run my motor. Did not fish. Last time I was there went between Costello Island and east side land. Had to dodge 2 airplanes both coming and going that were practicing take off and landings on the water. Lol I was not expecting that. Usually I put in at North D&D and run up to the beer can tree at Rock Creek then come back Another thing I discovered is at the beer can tree to not head straight west to get back to the channel to go back South as it is only about 6 inches of water there, got my boat stuck on there and took quiet a while to get off of those rocks.

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/17/22 10:31 PM

Good to hear from you Tom. We need to go fish again sometime.

I've been hanging close to the ramp this spring. Good thing too, as I lost my prop at Villa Marina and had to use my trolling motor to get back to the ramp. I was glad the water is cold or I would have been dodging grankid pullers the whole way.

I bet that was pretty testy getting grounded up there by the river. Little things like that that make me Leary in going up rock creek and going up the Brazos is totally out of the question. Had guys tell me last year that's were they were catching threadfins. But walking out of the Brazos to HWY 16 is not an experience I want to have. That's a long haul through the Palo Pinto where everything bites, stings or sticks.

All those crappie were caught under docks. I don't think crappie at PK are spawning yet. Might be males on the beds but the girls are still in the shade under the docks. Water was 64 deg last week. I'm going fishing tomorrow, so I'll try to post an update.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/21/22 02:38 PM

Great catch!!
I've been very impressed with how big the population is out on PK.
I have fished it hard since December and can count on both hands how many fish under 10" I've caught!
had a trip last Saturday and ended up with a 3 man limit.
Fish are shallow hitting slip corks right now as well as still being under docks. black and chart jigs have been on fire.

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/22/22 11:59 AM

PEDRO H., sounds like you are finally having some fun. Keep it up.

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/22/22 12:05 PM

PKfishin, it was sound like Tuesday was gonna be a light wind day, but they have changed that. Looks like high winds for the next 8 days at least. Turns out I have to go the VA next Tuesday for lab work for an appointment on the 5th of May. So those are 2 days I cannot go. When the winds let up I will get with you and we will go fishing. Later

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/22/22 06:49 PM

Tom, Wind is a big issue at PK. I will not be back out there till mid week. Got 23 Monday. It was the lowest wind day but still too windy to fish anywhere but docks where I could tie up.
Posted By: Asleep At The Reel

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/27/22 04:13 AM

I grew up going to this lake and fishing it as a kid. Back then the crappie were all over. We had a spot off Broadway (I think was the name of that part of the lake) and would go to some trees in a cove and just pull them in. Back then there was not a limit on sandbass, I remember pulling so many in that we could not stand in the boat. We took everyone of those fish back to Louisiana with us. I was back there about 2 years ago and could not find a crappie. I still want to go so if anyone would like to be on YouTube hit me up and we can catch some fish. I love that lake. I went by where the old house was and it had been torn down and condos put in its place. Anyway, would like to get back there. On a side note, you all are talking about wind. When I was there 2 years ago we put in at South D&D and made our way to Fox Hollow as I knew they had lights out in the water and we used to catch sandbass and large gills there. We did it and had a blast, but then the wind came in and it came strong. We had to make it back using my graph as we could not see a thing. I am used to houses on the bank and did not realize until it was pitch black that one side did not have them. Trust me when I say it was a pucker factor drive. We made it thanks to my tracks being recorded earlier in the day. Ha Ha Want to get back there soon!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappie are starting to bite at PK - 04/27/22 08:20 PM

Nice fish. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum