Texas Fishing Forum

navigating Denton creek or Lavon

Posted By: sticknstring

navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/30/22 03:06 PM

I'm thinking about pulling the boat out to Grapevine and going up the creek or going up the north end of lavon. I know the water levels are low right now (my home lake is 3' low). So before I haul the boat all the way out there-I hope some of the local boat runners might have some insight for me. I've never been to either one of these locations-is this do-able right now in a 19' bluewave ?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/30/22 05:36 PM

There are plenty fish on the south end of the lake on lavon and it’s a lot safer to navigate. North end is pretty tricky because of all the timber up there.
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/30/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
There are plenty fish on the south end of the lake on lavon and it’s a lot safer to navigate. North end is pretty tricky because of all the timber up there.

Thank you sir! Looking at google earth and do see other options as far as rivers/creeks for spawning fish further south.
Do you think I can get up the creek from grapevine? or too shallow/dangerous..
It's times like these that I wish I had a yak. roflmao
I ran granger lake two weeks ago-went way up the river and took 15 home. Granger has no shortage of water these days.
We caught plenty of legal fish but the fish we did keep were between 12"-15". I'm hoping to give grapevine or lavon a go in the next week or so-any other advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/30/22 07:59 PM

To be honest the lavon creeks usually suck. I'd go up denton creek given the choice between the two.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/30/22 08:02 PM

check out the Denton Creek post in the white bass section. Lots of info and conditions. Looks too low now for anything but a canoe or kayak.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/31/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by kdub#1
To be honest the lavon creeks usually suck. I'd go up denton creek given the choice between the two.

Yep
Posted By: JP924

Re: navigating Denton creek or Lavon - 03/31/22 08:03 PM

I was up in Denton Creek recently with a 16' Deep V Lowe. Made it almost to FM377 without a problem. Catching was a bit slow but I have to think any day now it'll turn on. It was my first time up Denton Creek, pretty cool up there with a bunch of good looking spots.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum